Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gencon 2009?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  13:00:51  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's never too early to plan, right?

I plan to hijack my big bro' again and watch him do his magic. Besides, getting lore questions answered is MUCH better in person than over e-mail or Everquest 2!

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  13:50:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never too early... I'm hoping to go next year, but it's going to depend on if they have a lot of their financial issues straightened out. Hopefully, there will be one!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:32:45  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh noes, are they having Financial issues?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:36:05  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nevermind, I found this thread: http://community.gencon.com/forums/t/14545.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:39:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stemming from GenCon 2007 (GenCon files bankruptcy). Hopefully, they have straightened everything out, but in this time of economic upheaval, who knows?

I'm planning on going there and meeting up with some old friends, so hopefully it all goes through.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:43:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*The Sage just quietly dances past this particular scroll*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:50:11  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay then! I propose a CandlekeepCON 2009 in Indy... conveniently the same dates as the tentative Gencon? ;)

If this post is/was in violation of CK rules, I apologize in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:51:13  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on how things go, I'm hoping to make it this year as well. I've been squirreling away funds here and there when I can, so barring something major *glares at 'they know who'* I'll be there.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:58:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Are you coming in 09 Sage?

I will be there for my second time,

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  16:58:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Are you coming in 09 Sage?

I will be there for my second time,

Hehe... I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no... yet! I learned my lessons well from the total disaster that was my attempt to reach Gen Con earlier this year.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:58:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I might be going and ma and I discussed it, since there seemed to be, again, some confusion about the meeting place. So, we were thinking that the garden that is across from the Hyatt and the the the, shoot, the hotel that is across the street from the Hyatt would be a perfect meeting place. We could all meet near the fountain because you got the two hotels on both sides and then the Con center is right before you or behind you depending on how you are standing.

Thinking that hotel is the Westin maybe? I can't remember but it's to the left of the Con center if you are leaving, while the Hyatt is to the right and the garden with the fountain would be straight in front of you.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Oct 2008 18:59:08
Go to Top of Page

Baragon Geddarm
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  19:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Baragon Geddarm's Homepage Send Baragon Geddarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh how I wish I could go.

But only 1 con a year for me. Unless I can get financial aid......hmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  23:28:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I guess I might be going and ma and I discussed it, since there seemed to be, again, some confusion about the meeting place. So, we were thinking that the garden that is across from the Hyatt and the the the, shoot, the hotel that is across the street from the Hyatt would be a perfect meeting place. We could all meet near the fountain because you got the two hotels on both sides and then the Con center is right before you or behind you depending on how you are standing.

Thinking that hotel is the Westin maybe? I can't remember but it's to the left of the Con center if you are leaving, while the Hyatt is to the right and the garden with the fountain would be straight in front of you.

"Which Hyatt sign?"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  02:04:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grin! Indeed! :)

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

"Which Hyatt sign?"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  19:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still undecided about 2009. May be taking the kids to Disneyland instead.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  20:15:49  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there barring any unforeseen circumstances. I've been to the last 5 in a row, so why stop a good thing.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  01:09:09  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  01:15:11  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'm still undecided about 2009. May be taking the kids to Disneyland instead.

Hey, the kids can suffer! Tell them Uncle Matt says that Gencon is too important to miss and that their Christmas presents are in jeopardy
Go to Top of Page

Yuen
Acolyte

Austria
22 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  05:13:06  Show Profile Send Yuen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rustybeard

Hey, the kids can suffer! Tell them Uncle Matt says that Gencon is too important to miss and that their Christmas presents are in jeopardy

I heard that keeping daddy away from Gencon is pretty high up on Santas "Things that keep you from getting presents" list. It's just below "pushing a truck full of puppies off the cliff".
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  05:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm addicted to GENCON now. :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  16:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what might help me make up my mind... If a bunch of us Candlekeepers got together and played some RPGA event together! Then I'll sneak our heroic exploits into Realms canon for all to admire!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  16:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know what might help me make up my mind... If a bunch of us Candlekeepers got together and played some RPGA event together! Then I'll sneak our heroic exploits into Realms canon for all to admire!
Ahem. If you hadn't been running around getting GHotR signed, you could have run a game at lunch this year, yanno.

If I'm able to make it, I Have Plans, mebbe. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  19:16:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ummmm... Does it have to be RPGA? I mean, I'd love to be in a game with all the great scribes, but RPGA means 4th and ...

Although if it's the only way, I can swallow my pride for a few hours.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  20:03:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I've never wanted to go to a convention before, as I highly dislike the stereotypical D&D nerd with a passion (along with the stereotypical anime otaku, the stereotypical video game buff, and basically others who share my own interests), but if I had the time, I would like to attend one just once, to see what all of the hub-bub was about.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  21:44:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Only if I can backdoor my "Vigilant Eyes of the Fallen" group into canon by running a Warlord that follows their philosophy . . .
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  21:46:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I've never wanted to go to a convention before, as I highly dislike the stereotypical D&D nerd with a passion (along with the stereotypical anime otaku, the stereotypical video game buff, and basically others who share my own interests), but if I had the time, I would like to attend one just once, to see what all of the hub-bub was about.

Gen Con was one of the best times I've ever had related to my hobby, and I don't regret for a moment going. I got to meet an amazing variety of people, as well as some great fellow scribes from here at Candlekeep. You see the whole gamut of people interested in various games there, and it makes the whole experience much more interesting for it.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  22:49:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need to plan your family vacations around your own agenda, Brian.

To this day, my wife thinks our vacation to Vegas just happened to fall on the same weekend as the Comsumer Electronics Show.

Find out when there's a Con in Florida (or Cally), and then bring them to Disney the same week.

On Topic:
I plan to attend... but then again, I planned to attend this year and it didn't work out.

Gas prices being what they are, it might be cheaper to fly then to drive, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Oct 2008 22:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:24:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You need to plan your family vacations around your own agenda, Brian.

To this day, my wife thinks our vacation to Vegas just happened to fall on the same weekend as the Comsumer Electronics Show.

Find out when there's a Con in Florida (or Cally), and then bring them to Disney the same week.

On Topic:
I plan to attend... but then again, I planned to attend this year and it didn't work out.

Gas prices being what they are, it might be cheaper to fly then to drive, though.

Disneyland is the one in California. We've got Disney World down here in Florida. Ironically, I've only been there once since junior high -- but I only live an hour away!

Sadly, we don't get nearly as many cons down here as I'd like. We get Mega-Con, but that's mostly a comic con.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:31:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooh, now that makes me want to go!

Actually, I wanted to go this year, but losing my job, getting married, and going to Ireland all meant that GenCon wasn't an option. If the job front is stable for me next year (and assuming I don't have to do the family reunion I keep avoiding), then I'm going to try to go.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Oct 2008 23:32:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:35:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

When I attended my first (and only) comic con, I wasn't sure I was at the right place... Until three guys dressed like Sailor Moon came walking out. Then I knew I was at the right place.

I am both a D&D nerd and an anime otaku, but I don't fit the stereotype for either, thank Lurue. I am familiar with both soap and real girls, I'm not a Japanophile, furries scare me, and real-world folks have to be around me for a while before they find out I'm into D&D and anime.

I do show off my geekiness, though, by always replying to "I have a question..." with "42!", saying "What the duece!", and frequently invoking Bob.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  03:52:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to stick this news in the new thread instead of the old thread. But Gencon's assets are for sale, supposedly.

http://www.livingdice.com/783/gen-con-for-sale-and-a-purchase-offer-is-pending/

The link didn't work the first time I went to it but it did now.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000