Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Commentary on the Feedback Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  16:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurren

Its not a matter of uncaring, its just a matter of the bottom line. WotC believes that the loss of the die-hard FR fan is acceptable when compared with the new sales they can generate by creating a watered down FR. From their stand-point we have been irrelevant to 4E sales from the start.

Unless we happen to like the 4E core stuff. Some of us do.

quote:
But frankly I am surprised that they would come into the "lion's den" to ask for input into future FR content.

I don't think "lion's den" is the right word. Most of us are pretty reasonable and polite.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  16:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

Given some of the retcons and unexplained changes of 3E, I think the die-hard fans started being written out of the picture back then.

A good point, I think. I was unhappy with the direction setting was going in long before the 4E Realms were even announced.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  18:28:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

Given some of the retcons and unexplained changes of 3E, I think the die-hard fans started being written out of the picture back then.

A good point, I think. I was unhappy with the direction setting was going in long before the 4E Realms were even announced.

I can actually say that the Return of the Archwizards was the very first moment when my Realms skewed on a tangent from the Canon realms. I like the story idea of bringing in a big baddy that really gives the powerful a headache, but (and this is key to any good story, IMHO) at the end, defeat the villain. Or beat him down enough that it would take a while to rebuild and threaten again. DON'T just leave the floating there with no resolution.

So, to get back on track, I've not posted to the feedback thread here or on the WizBoards because I honestly can't think of anything constructive to ask for. More lore? Yessir, I'd love another serving! But the lore that's being thrown around is based on a Realms I'm no longer familiar with and don't care about.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  19:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

(snip)

Because what they're hawkin' now ain't D&D....

A-men to that, brutha!

Let me frank (as opposed to being Ed), and say that I have never particularly cared for Vancian magic; I always thought it was stupid, and finally reading Tales of the Dying Earth (20+ years after starting to play D&D) didn't improve my low opinion of it. Still, it was the core of D&D magic as Gygax and Arnesen created the game. In dumping it Hasbro severed any resemblance between 4.New.Coke and real D&D.

Those of us who didn't like Vancian magic could lay it aside and use mana point systems or whatever else we preferred, and still use all of the rest of D&D. I've been in many campaigns which did this, including the first in which I ever played, which was heavily influenced by Arduin. Hasbro's new monstrosity is so messed-up that dropping one part and keeping the rest isn't feasible -- this thing of theirs ain't D&D at all! I break wind in its general direction....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  20:17:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

So, to get back on track, I've not posted to the feedback thread here or on the WizBoards because I honestly can't think of anything constructive to ask for. More lore? Yessir, I'd love another serving! But the lore that's being thrown around is based on a Realms I'm no longer familiar with and don't care about.

That's pretty much my stance. I want them to reset the setting and start over again just before 3E came out -- but the only way that'll ever happen is if I suddenly find out I'm Bill Gates's love child and buy the setting away from them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brunswick
Acolyte

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  22:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Brunswick's Homepage Send Brunswick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless we happen to like the 4E core stuff. Some of us do.

I kinda like the 4th Ed rules too but its certainly different to 3.5, thats for sure. I have been running a FR campaign now since 1987 using 1st Ed, 2nd Ed, 3rd Ed and then 3.5 rules, with my regular Saturday group and we will stick with the existing (pre 4th Ed) Realms, using 3.5 rules. However, I am also starting a 4th Edition game on Friday nights, for a different group, using a homebrew campaign world. I thought about also running the 4th Edition game in my existing campaign world (in some other part of the Realms) but the rules, for me, dont feel right with the existing Realms and I dont want to even look at the 4th Edition Realms book.

Edited by - Brunswick on 06 Oct 2008 22:02:12
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  01:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brunswick

I kinda like the 4th Ed rules too but its certainly different to 3.5, thats for sure. I have been running a FR campaign now since 1987 using 1st Ed, 2nd Ed, 3rd Ed and then 3.5 rules, with my regular Saturday group and we will stick with the existing (pre 4th Ed) Realms, using 3.5 rules. However, I am also starting a 4th Edition game on Friday nights, for a different group, using a homebrew campaign world. I thought about also running the 4th Edition game in my existing campaign world (in some other part of the Realms) but the rules, for me, dont feel right with the existing Realms and I dont want to even look at the 4th Edition Realms book.

That's how I would do it, myself--I'd use the 4E rules in a new (homebrewed) setting.

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  12:50:23  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

. . . this thing of theirs ain't D&D at all! I break wind in its general direction....

One hopes you won't wave your private parts at its auntie
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  16:41:45  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was annoyed with recent events involving all things Forgotten Realms, but with the appearance of Brian's thread asking for input, things said within it and this thread, now I am, for the lack of a better word, upset. I am even border line apethetic, fortunately I can use the down turn in the economy as yet another reason not to purchase the books WotC is publishing with the FR logo...perhaps they thought by sticking the FR logo on it that would make people want to buy it...but how does that saying go..."put lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  17:24:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But that the problem - there is O 4e FR logo... everything FR os 'core' now, so thats why it reads like generic slop.

On Jamallo Kreen's post - I, too, hated Vancian magic, and was eagerly awaiting the release of 4e after I heard they were dumping it. O never thought I'd say this, but now I yearn for the days of Vancian Magic.

Its weird, almost every single early announcment made about 4e got my heart racing, because it seemed they were going to addres ALL of the game's faults. Never did I think they would change the game so much that it would be unrecognizable.

How does that saying go? "Be careful what you wish for?"

On Warmachine - that game ROCKS!!! Have a Cryx Army and enough to build warbands for Kador or Mercs.

On cards - when they came out with updated stat cards for WM, all I had to do was print out the new ones on plain paper and put that in the plastic sleeve in front of the old card. That gave me the rigidity and the back I needed, without any fuss.

And if you don't play with (inexpensive) plastic sleeves, you aren't playing WM right. You mark off your damage with a dry-erase marker on the card itself, and then just 'reset it' for the next battle. As Wooly has pointed out, the system is brilliant in it's simplicity.

Somewhat on Topic:
The fact that they aren't supporting 'old' products anymore leads one wonder why bother with their new offerings? If they keep to their timetable, they will be coming out with a new setting/edition in just four years, and since it took them three years to produce the last one, they will begin working on 5e just one year from now (and start ignoring the 4e line). With that kind of corporate plan in place, they will never have the time to 'finish' ANY edition anymore.

After 20+ years, we still didn't know 99% of what there was to know about the Realms, and now, we never will.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Oct 2008 17:35:21
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  18:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could get behind (read: "tolerate") the 4e Realms setting a lot easier if there was continuing support for the pre-$pellplague Realms even if only just in the form of occasional article released as combination 3e canon/4e historical lore... and the people that refuse to make the switch to 4e aren't completely alienated by the 4e-only approach.

The way I see 4e Realms right now is nothing more than a nightmarish alternate reality. It could be a fun or even interesting thing to pop ahead one hundred years (just like we could go back to ancient Netheril) and explore the $ellplague influenced world... but not unless we can also return to the present or wake up from the nightmare. As a lowly commoner living in the Realms, I think I'd rather be swept up in the mists of Ravenloft rather than wake up in this 100 years later in the Realms thing.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  20:22:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with absolutely everything said in this entire scroll, more or less, so I didn't bother quoting anybody; it would have bloated my post unnecessarily. The 4e game system itself wasn't all that bad, if you ignored its pointless changes to the alignment system and took the time to finish what they started and make the system *completely* classless... but by doing the latter, imho, it's not D&D any more. Which is why I couldn't think of 4e as D&D; the classes were all nerfed mono-colour-copies of each other, with a different shade used for each class, and the shading was the only difference.

Markustay and Uzzy: I agree. There was all kinds of development left for the rest of Toril, as I've mentioned in other posts elsewhere. The only reason to blow up Faerun was really to slap Ed in the face and say "Hah! It's ours now!" Kara-Tur and the Hordelands were developed by Zeb Cook; Zakhara was developed by Jeff Grubb (a good friend of Ed's, but not Ed); I can't remember who put Maztica together, but its obliteration was one of the few 4e changes that I agree with, so it doesn't matter. My point is, Faerun was the last part of the pre-4E Realms that was Ed's, and (with the exception of Waterdeep) it's not Ed's any more.

[Edit: Just to be clear, I have the greatest respect for Jeff Grubb and Zeb Cook as game designers and authors, and I love what they did with the Eastern and Southern Realms; my point is, Zakhara, the Hordelands, and Kara-Tur were not created by Ed.]

I would have loved, and quite happily purchased, a 4E Realms set in Anchorome and/or Katashaka if Wizbro wanted something new to invigorate the setting. But no, let's instead ignore all those places marked "Unknown Lands" on the world map and nuke what's established and familiar. That is the biggest slap in the face, as has already been said by Uzzy and others. We are ignored for eight years, then, after they screw it all up (by their account irrevocably), they ask us for feedback, and have the gall to tell us that they don't want to hear our complaints. I'm sorry, Wizbro, but I'm not going to stroke your corporate ego... or anything else.

Rinona: I like the 4e core stuff too, but mostly to cherry-pick from for my 3.5 campaign's house rules... things like death at negative (Con score) and starting HP based on Con score. Healing surges are a lame video-game concept shoehorned into P&P gaming, and they don't fit. If you've been following my recent posts, you know how I feel about the changes to classes and alignment. I love evil paladins; that's been a house rule for my groups (regardless of who was DMing) since the beginning of 2nd Edition. As far as the class system goes, I think they were trying to make a classless system and then decided that publication deadlines trumped all else, and shoehorned the classes into the same cookie-cutter advancement table. That's why we didn't see barbarians, bards, or druids in the PHB; too much class-specific stuff that doesn't easily fit in the cookie cutter. As for the missing sorcerer, I suspect that there wasn't enough of a difference between sorcerers and wizards in the new magic system for them to keep both classes, and wizards won for obvious reasons.

Nerfed: I agree 100%, and I have campaigned to have all of the pre-4e Realms web articles made available on CD or DVD from the website for a reasonable fee. I suspect I'll be ignored on this, unless 4e Realms tanks horribly.

Uzzy: I *loathe* the fact that we saw no Cormyr 3E sourcebook, and then the first thing that appears in Insider for 4E Realms is a beautiful, in-depth look at the Forest Kingdom that is completely useless unless you buy into all the tripe that 4E Realms is. That, to me, is flaying us and dumping salt on us... forget rubbing it in the wound. I've enjoyed the free look at Insider; it convinces me that there's no way I'm paying for it if it's all 4E-ruleset-based. A large part of me misses the old days of Dragon, when they covered games *other* than D&D... but maybe we've come full-circle there, because a common opinion is that 4E isn't D&D either. I've commented elsewhere (I believe in the feedback scroll itself, if my post hasn't been deleted) about the products that I *would* buy, at quite some length so that Wizbro was perfectly clear on my position. That was fun. Anyway, this post is quite long enough now.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 07 Oct 2008 20:27:06
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  20:29:02  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more point: I don't think we'll see the demise of P&P RPGs in their entirety, despite Wizbro's best(?) efforts at this. I see the demand being picked up by Paizo and Pathfinder, which my group (primarily myself) has been following closely.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  20:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I can't remember who put Maztica together, but its obliteration was one of the few 4e changes that I agree with, so it doesn't matter. My point is, Faerun was the last part of the pre-4E Realms that was Ed's, and (with the exception of Waterdeep) it's not Ed's any more.

[Edit: Just to be clear, I have the greatest respect for Jeff Grubb and Zeb Cook as game designers and authors, and I love what they did with the Eastern and Southern Realms; my point is, Zakhara, the Hordelands, and Kara-Tur were not created by Ed.]

I liked all of those settings as part of the world of Toril... yes, including Maztica. In fact, of the lot of them, I'd say I like its concept better than the other add-on settings --even Kara-tur or the Moonshaes.

Also, Anchorome fits above Maztica like a snug hat. How can you like one area and not the other? Maybe its because there's less known about Anchorome due to not enough source material, I guess... whatever, its all gold to me.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  20:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't think "lion's den" is the right word. Most of us are pretty reasonable and polite.

Indeed. Dark elves are courteous, urbane folk, and can be very amiable companions when they have no pressing reason to kill you ... too.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  15:48:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moved from the feedback thread...

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

What I would like to see...

Well first of all I'm goint totry my best to stay civil.

I would like to know how on earth you explain how Cyric could kill Mystra on her home plane, with The Chosen in existance, Larloch doing what he's doing and Azuth living on Dweomerheart aswell??? No way that could be done. Not while other gods lived too. And no way AO would alow it!!!! You got it wrong there to...

On that note... I will say that I would like the whole design team to go to... well I would like to say hell, but im going to say school. Anything that happens to the realms should have happend by the hand of its creator. I dont care that Ed might or might not have sold the rights to WotC, anyway they should not have abussed it!!! On on very last but fursther note. I will say that I would like to see Shar burn forever in hell. Screaming in complete and utter agony for the rest of existance for the crimes she has commited. Slowly killing her over the next century. And now that we are burning gods, take Cyric and rip him limb by limb until he is no more make him feel what he made Mystra feel. Or even better, make him a mortal and tell us where he can be found. I will by the book, and go ill him, again and again, until my char dies of old age.

And yes reinstate the Chosen... NOW!!!!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Oct 2008 15:54:26
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  16:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "points of light" term has been stated often enough as the main concept for 4e Realms. Somehow I cant see how asking us to decide which points of light to choose will bring a good solution, because one of the major good things of Forgotten Realms was that it had a rich and detailed history and many areas had a lot of information to start with. So there will be a lot of fans who desperately want information ... on anything ... or rather on EVERYTHING [that is left after some areas went missing]. Somehow I dont see that mixing too well with the "points of light" thingy in the future, especially since the world is smaller now. They cant really expect us to say "Ok, dont detail the Dalelands, but give us Maztica instead." That wont work ... at least I think so.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  17:21:20  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Somewhat on Topic:
The fact that they aren't supporting 'old' products anymore leads one wonder why bother with their new offerings? If they keep to their timetable, they will be coming out with a new setting/edition in just four years, and since it took them three years to produce the last one, they will begin working on 5e just one year from now (and start ignoring the 4e line). With that kind of corporate plan in place, they will never have the time to 'finish' ANY edition anymore.

That's the Hasbro business model as far as I can tell. They are toy manufacturers and what was this years best seller is next years rubbish. 'Finishing', as in bringing something to a satisfactory conclusion is irrelevant to that sort of business model. That's their corporate mindset and D&D must adhere to that.

I wonder how long the D&D brand will stand up to the cycle of 'new core edition, new FR, new Eberron, new Dark Sun?, new Who Knows, rinse , repeat'
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  17:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a can of gasoline... mind if I throw it onto your fire?

Lets not forget that originally WotC bought Brian's book to put online as a FREE resource, but then greed got the better of them and they decided to sell it to us instead.

After Brian had already been giving it away for Free for a couple of years...

Don't get me wrong - GHotR is one o my favorite gaming resources, but it saddens me to think that it was the very last D&D book ever published.

Not to mention, how they used the GHotR to launch the Spellplague (and that horrific Tyr/Tymora/Helm soap opera, which they still have not explained in a logical fashion!) forcibly upon us. Even if we decide to just use all Realms books published before the FRCG, we still have that burning bit of info tagged onto an otherwise excellent product.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  17:41:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

I am even border line apethetic, fortunately I can use the down turn in the economy as yet another reason not to purchase the books WotC is publishing with the FR logo...perhaps they thought by sticking the FR logo on it that would make people want to buy it...but how does that saying go..."put lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig"
Lol. The thing is, they did not even put the FR logo (or even a new version of it) on the FRCG. There is only the 4e D&D logo and the words "Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting."

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  18:29:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

I have a can of gasoline... mind if I throw it onto your fire?

Lets not forget that originally WotC bought Brian's book to put online as a FREE resource, but then greed got the better of them and they decided to sell it to us instead.

After Brian had already been giving it away for Free for a couple of years...

Don't get me wrong - GHotR is one o my favorite gaming resources, but it saddens me to think that it was the very last D&D book ever published.

Not to mention, how they used the GHotR to launch the Spellplague (and that horrific Tyr/Tymora/Helm soap opera, which they still have not explained in a logical fashion!) forcibly upon us. Even if we decide to just use all Realms books published before the FRCG, we still have that burning bit of info tagged onto an otherwise excellent product.

What was that? Oh dear, that page seems to have been torn out of my copy...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  21:08:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truth be told, I consider EVERYTHING in that tome to be canon, for better or worse.

Its all the silly 4e stuff I choose to ignore.

However, we've gone way off topic here, with the usual "I hate 4e diatribe", so lets get back to the topic, shall we?

I think a request for what we want we (the fans) would like to see is too little, too late.

Besides... they know what we want, and have already stated that won't happen (3e or Spellplague {lost century} lore), so this is like asking us "Okay... if you absolutely MUST read a 4e article, what would offend you the least?"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Oct 2008 21:10:11
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  21:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Okay... if you absolutely MUST read a 4e article, what would offend you the least?"

Resignations. Anyway, since when was this a sticky?

I'm the same as Ashe regarding the Grand History, though I've not gone to the extent of ripping a page out. Can't say I've not been tempted though!

Meh. They know what we want. They refuse to give us that. Thankfully, the consumer is still sovereign in this market.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  21:55:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Anyway, since when was this a sticky?

Since about 6 hours ago. I stickied it because the Feedback thread was stickied, and since we're limiting that thread to only constructive feedback, it made sense to sticky this one, too.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  21:56:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
"Okay... if you absolutely MUST read a 4e article, what would offend you the least?"

Resignations. Anyway, since when was this a sticky?

I'm the same as Ashe regarding the Grand History, though I've not gone to the extent of ripping a page out. Can't say I've not been tempted though!

Meh. They know what we want. They refuse to give us that. Thankfully, the consumer is still sovereign in this market.

Alas, the librarian in me prevents me from destroying ANY part of a book, no matter how much I dislike it.

I even go so far to gift bookmarks with books that I buy for gifts so I know they aren't 'dog-earring' the corners.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  21:58:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Wooly just got himself a brand-new tube of 'Mod-Glue' and is going a little nuts.

quote:

Resignations.
Okay... that was just funny as hell.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  23:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
Alas, the librarian in me prevents me from destroying ANY part of a book, no matter how much I dislike it.

Heh, I'm not a librarian, but I still couldn't bring myself to do that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  00:28:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay fellow scribes, that's enough about destroying books. 'Tis making me nervous. And we should all know the One Absolute Rule of Candlekeep by now. Right?

Back to the commentary...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  02:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And we should all know the One Absolute Rule of Candlekeep by now. Right?

Something about a land war in Kara-Tur?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  02:40:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Okay fellow scribes, that's enough about destroying books. 'Tis making me nervous. And we should all know the One Absolute Rule of Candlekeep by now. Right?

"No unattended candles in the 'Keep!" Right, Sage?

After all, that kind of thing could lead to a flame war... maybe that's the problem over at those *other* boards...

Seriously: I know what you mean. I don't know how many times I've watched The Name of the Rose, and I can never watch the scene at the end in the library. It's comparable to genocide... well, not really, but still extremely evil and wrong.

Edited by - Jakk on 10 Oct 2008 02:43:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000