Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Whatever became of Azoun's Queen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm just wondering -- after Azoun was slain, what happened to his wife, Queen Filfaeril? I seem to recall that she couldn't reign in her own right for some reason, that and that she was still magnificently beautiful and young for her age (maybe she's got elf blood? Or, as someone suggested to me, "Old age wouldn't dare to touch her, out of respect.")

And has much of anything been written about her personality and such? She must have been a remarkably patient and tolerant woman, if nothing else, considering Azoun's constat philandering. Someone should have told Azoun that when a good king is called the father of his people, that wasn't supposed to be taken literally!

Thanks for any help.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She passed away (probably peacefully) in 1390 DR. This information can be found in the new 4E sources.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:56:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filfaeril Selazair Obarskyr, passed away in 1390 DR (Here). There is a spoiler in Elminster's Daughter regarding her youthful appearance.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, she was born on the Mirtul 4, 1311 !
79 years old... quite a long life no ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:02:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, now, Ardashir, don't go applying our real world morals to Cormyr in the Realms! Fee knew all about Azoun's character before she married him, and their marriage was very happy (read some of the scenes in the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, and Ed's Realmslore web columns, for examples).
Ed tells me he has a Filfaeril story idea or two up his sleeve, for publication somewhere and somewhen . . . (both young Filfaeril and Dowager Queen Filfaeril).
And then, of course, there's the famous "cutting room floor" royal bedchamber sex scene Ed wrote for a novel, long ago, where Azoun and his queen are TRYING to make love, but keep getting interrupted (by servants, would-be assassins, War Wizards, Vangey, both of their daughters, Glarasteer Rhauligan . . .) :}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi dear Hooded One,
which novel was it ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  20:55:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed tells me he has a Filfaeril story idea or two up his sleeve, for publication somewhere and somewhen . . . (both young Filfaeril and Dowager Queen Filfaeril).
THO

I'd love to read that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  01:37:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I thought it was 1313 DR?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Sep 2008 01:41:54
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  03:35:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I thought it was 1313 DR?

I think she was born Mirtul 4, 1311 Year of the Fist.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  03:59:03  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So besides FR Wiki's non referenced answer here, do we have a source?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  13:37:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can confirm that she was born in 1311 DR.

I'm not sure I count as a 'source' but rest assured I have access to it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  16:04:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, now that I think about this, I was wrong. I seem to remember a tidbit in the Cormyr supplement that said something about Filfaeril being four years younger than Azoun IV. And that same tome referenced the year of Azoun's birth as 1307 DR as I recall. So that would indeed make her birth year around 1311 DR.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[ It figures my 500th post would be a Cormyr reply. ]

Per "After the Dragon: The Kingdom of Cormyr Today" (Dragon Annual #5), Filfaeril's date of birth is indeed 4 Mirtul 1311. She was four years younger than Azoun (born in 1307) the knowledge of whose impending birth brought Vangerdahast back to Cormyr (in 1306).

And now back to our regularly scheduled cryptic answers.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  19:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff Garen !

And congratulatiosn for your posts count.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  18:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I should have asked, what was Filfaeril doing in the pre-Spellplague Realms, around the time of the 3.5 sourcebook(s) and such? I get the idea that she was helping Alusair and Caladnei run the kingdom (heck, she'd done most of the day-to-day ruling when Azoun was alive anyway, or so I seem to remember), but she might have had some plans of her own working on the side?
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  19:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly certain that Filfaeril's would have exclusively been concentrating on helping Alusair and Caladnei run the kingdom, in order to keep things together post Death of the Dragon. I doubt that'd have left much time for side work, though it's always possible,
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  19:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should dear like to see those two stories (and the cut one too). Queen Fee is one of my favourite Realmsian characters Full Stop... and her family were certainly in my top 10 list of Characters To Read About (other spots having been taken by various of the Seven and Liriel).

As to her side-work, it ddepends on how you define it.

If you consider "helping Alusair and Caladnei rule" as just the day-to-day Ambassadors, Trade, Waving Graciously and Tweaking The War Wizards' Noses, then I am sure she did "side-work".

If you consider helping them to include all that and the somewhat more cloak and dagger control of spies and intelligence, finding and foiling new plots against the crown or its agents and making sure all of the background stuff is working too? Then I would say that would be all anyone could actually have time for.

Though much as I adore Alusair and Caladnei... I always felt that Fee and 'Speera had a lot more to do with the decisions that were actually made.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  23:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Filfaeril, myself.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  23:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hints of Filfaeril's influence over the post-Azoun Cormyr can be seen in Death of the Dragon, "After the Dragon," "When Dragons Come Seeking A Throne," and Elminster's Daughter.

More than that, I cannot say, else Ed break my thumbs and allmysentencesstartbeingtypedwithoutspaces...
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  00:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I love Filfaeril, myself.

You know, I had a feeling you might. I would say to your Ladyship that I too love Filfaeril in a deep and pure way. But we both know I would be fibbing about the latter .

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Hints of Filfaeril's influence over the post-Azoun Cormyr can be seen in Death of the Dragon, "After the Dragon," "When Dragons Come Seeking A Throne," and Elminster's Daughter.

More than that, I cannot say, else Ed break my thumbs and allmysentencesstartbeingtypedwithoutspaces...

Hmm, having read DotD and ED but not the others I went in search of them... "After the Dragon" seems to be the Dragon Annual 2000 (which may well be a pill to get hold of). However I can't find "When Dragons Come Seeking A Throne", is this related to the "When Shadows Come Seeking A Throne" short story in Realms of Shadow? My apologies for my ignorance, but I truly want more Fee material if I can get it...

...Although I wouldn't wish to see your fingers broken, Garen Thal.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  01:28:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed's also provided some brief thoughts on Filfaeril's activities in the post-Azoun period in his replies here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  01:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien
Hmm, having read DotD and ED but not the others I went in search of them... "After the Dragon" seems to be the Dragon Annual 2000 (which may well be a pill to get hold of). However I can't find "When Dragons Come Seeking A Throne", is this related to the "When Shadows Come Seeking A Throne" short story in Realms of Shadow? My apologies for my ignorance, but I truly want more Fee material if I can get it...

...Although I wouldn't wish to see your fingers broken, Garen Thal.

Ahh, yes...

It's "When Shadows Come Seeking a Throne." Typing too fast will sometimes cause my mind to freeze.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  15:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien

You know, I had a feeling you might. I would say to your Ladyship that I too love Filfaeril in a deep and pure way. But we both know I would be fibbing about the latter .

Hee hee.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  17:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ed's also provided some brief thoughts on Filfaeril's activities in the post-Azoun period in his replies here at Candlekeep.

Neat! Are they in 'All about Cormyr' scroll?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  23:58:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

quote:

Neat! Are they in 'All about Cormyr' scroll?

For the most part, yes.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000