Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff Tower - Prologue & Chapters 1 - 9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  19:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Wow am I late to this party or what?

Just wanted to say, I know this sounds bad, but as much as I enjoyed Blackstaff, I think I'm enjoying this book a bit more. There was an air of finality about Blackstaff and a lot of other Realms novels written at that time, that had me both interested and dreading the end of that book. Here, I'm sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Thanks for saying, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the book (and let us know your thoughts in the appropriate places, if so moved).

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2012 :  15:37:11  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ending of Blackstaff had the right mix of meeting with the previous lore about High Magic
and having Khelben and Ulair closed the final ritual. My copy is about
to fall apart due to the amount of game material mining I did with it. I also felt
unimaginable sorrow over the final sacrifice of a soul weary individual. While I'm not
hundreds of years old, I feel that way sometimes. I contend that it is the best Realms
novel that I have ever read.

Now if we can get SES to give us writeup on materials he introduced.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2012 :  20:14:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things that I really liked right off the bat is the interaction between city officials, the politics involving the Lords, and the guilds. For anyone that isn't used to Waterdeep, it explains how important these things are, and gives a brief history lesson. For anyone more familiar with the city, right off the bat it feels very much like home, even if home has changed a bit in the last 100 years.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  00:12:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

The ending of Blackstaff had the right mix of meeting with the previous lore about High Magic
and having Khelben and Ulair closed the final ritual. My copy is about
to fall apart due to the amount of game material mining I did with it. I also felt
unimaginable sorrow over the final sacrifice of a soul weary individual. While I'm not
hundreds of years old, I feel that way sometimes. I contend that it is the best Realms
novel that I have ever read.

Now if we can get SES to give us writeup on materials he introduced.

I agree 100% with you, but Would rather read this in the scroll for the end of the novel

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11534&SearchTerms=Blackstaff,tower

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Oct 2012 00:14:10
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  02:52:16  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Touche, wrong novel though. I should have put it in last of Blackstaff.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000