Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Karantor --- A vague giant deity in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  05:51:58  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I came upon something in my research on the giants of Faerun and found that this Karantor fella is actually a deity in the Realms? A giant deity whose portfolio encompasses the verbeegs and formorians? Is this true? (as in, is this official?)

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  06:33:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have my copy with me at the moment, but I do recall Karantor being briefly referenced in the Giantcraft tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  09:22:03  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he's briefly mentioned

quote:
Of course, it's extremely doubtful that any of these rumors contain more than the smallest kernel of truth, though the Jotunbrud still have plenty to worry about. Many of the verbeeg servants and laborers have been planted in the various giant steadings as spies at the behest of a mysterious figure who is actually no less than an avatar of the giant god Karantor himself. Years ago, Karantor actively recruited followers in all the largest verbeeg tribes and directed his priests to force the verbeegs to follow the dictums of the mysterious stranger who occasionally came to visit bearing treasure in exchange for promises of fealty. Only the priests are aware that the stranger who takes a slightly different form in each settlement he visits is actually Karantor's avatar. For hundreds of years now, spies dispatched by the avatar have been keeping Karantor informed of the comings and goings in many of Faerūn's most prominent Jotunbrud settlements. Recently, the avatar has also started dispatching some of his verbeeg servants to collect specific artifacts scattered all across Toril's surface. Exactly what Karantor has in mind for the verbeegs and how they are assisting him remains a mystery.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  17:35:35  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, thanks for the info. Yet another FR deity to add to my slowly expanding list. (not a big fan of "edition deicide", you see)
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  03:31:43  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Monster Mythology for more information concerning him.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  03:35:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're thinking of Karontor, LT?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  08:51:18  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You're thinking of Karontor, LT?

I always thought they were the same (I never even noticed the spelling difference). Are they really different deities altogether, rather than alternative spellings (in the 2E Planescape sense, not the 3E sense)?
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  21:28:34  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe like Tempos/Tempus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000