Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Storm Silverhand's farm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  00:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has Storm Silverhand's farm in Shadowdale been detailed and or mapped out anywhere in Realmslore?
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  00:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure there are other sources as well, but what I have on my desk here is the 2nd Edition accessory FRS1: The Dalelands, by L. Richard Baker III. If you can track down a copy, it's well worth it.

Storm's farm is described (very briefly) on page 45, and its location is included on the map of Shadowdale village on the following page. It wasn't/isn't particularly isolated, lying two or three hundred yards north of "downtown." It looks like it's probably meant to be in a hollow drained by a small tributary to the River Ashaba and is demarcated by a little lane. The hollow itself is defined on the south by Fox Ridge and on the northeast by Castle Krag.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  00:59:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e Shadowdale book has a partial map of the shape of the farm, and some details on the farm itself. There's also plenty of brief tidbits in most of Ed's books that have featured Storm. Ed's also mentioned a few bits about Storm's farm in his replies here at Candlekeep over the years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  02:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys.

Sage's comments jogged my memory and led me to the following description from Ed's novel "Spellfire":

[Narm and Shandril walk north along the road from the Old Skull Inn.]
"The farm lay hidden behind a high, crown hedged bank. Over the hedge, appeared the upper leaves of growing things. All was lush and green. Bees danced among the blossoms of a creeper that coiled along the hedge. [...] They turned off the road where a broad track cut through the hedge, following it along twisted oaks to a large, rambling fieldstone house. Its thatched roof was thick with velvety moss and alive with birds. Vines on tripods and pole-frames stretched away in rows, like hallways amid the green, rustling walls of a castle. Far down one they saw Storm Silverhand at work, her long silver hair tied back with a ragged scrap of cloth. [Storm leads them into the house] through a stout wooden door that swung open by itself into cool stillness. [Inside, after offering them a drink,] She went to the back of the kitchen and swung open a little arched door, letting in the Sunlight. 'Follow this path into the trees, and you'll find me,' she said. and vanished down it.
The visitors looked around the low-ceilinged kitchen. Herbs hung from its dark wooden beams, and all was cozy and friendly" [a short while later they follow her along a] path [that] twisted down a little ravine, beneath overhanging trees. They followed it through dappled sunlight and deepening shade, to emerge be a small pool where the stream widened" (Wizards of the Coast, 2005, pp. 292-94)

I presume this pool is in the section of the stream that the maps show running through the southern edge of Storm's property.

In the Shadowdale module that comes in the 2E Campaign Setting, there is the following on page 20:
"Her [Storm's] chief overseer, Lular, takes care of the place in her absence, which includes the care and feeding of a small pack of wolfhounds she has been raising. These wolfhounds tend to guarantee Storm's privacy when she is home."

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 05 Sep 2008 02:59:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000