Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 pitter patter of little feet
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  14:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I read dwarves of the deep or how ever your callin it an I'm knowin for sure I read about it in one oh tha candlekeep compendiums. I'm writin a short story and I'm for wonder if any one thinks it's possible for a Firbolg and a dwarf to have a baby?

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  18:56:28  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With magic, anything is possible. But I hope that the mother is the Firbolg, or that'd be one tough pregnancy.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  19:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention the mechanics of size in the uh . . . other aspects of conception.

[Whoopsie!]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  19:55:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not to mention the mechanics of size in the uh . . . other aspects of conception.

[Whoopsie!]

Cheers

Dude, don't you know size doesn't matter? I've been told that many times... Wait, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  19:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt think about it like that but nope the father is a Firbolg warrior from Hartsvale an the mother is a dwarven paladin from Citadel Adbar.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  20:35:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the babe can be "gated" out of momma's womb?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  21:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

When firbolgs are born the are the size of human babys because they are only kin. I'm assuming it would even be more compact since it's gonna be half dwarf. Bah see ya got me talkin like a human. But in all seriousness I figure at the end of the day when he or she gorws up they will be something like an Azer in build just lacking all the fire.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  04:30:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

quote:

When firbolgs are born the are the size of human babys because they are only kin. I'm assuming it would even be more compact since it's gonna be half dwarf. Bah see ya got me talkin like a human. But in all seriousness I figure at the end of the day when he or she gorws up they will be something like an Azer in build just lacking all the fire.

Wow! I didn't know that, I just assumed their babes would be proportionately large like their Firbold Ma and Da.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  10:35:55  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Dude, don't you know size doesn't matter? I've been told that many times... Wait, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that...

After all petite drow females give birth to draegloths. I should imagine after mating with a Glabrezu, the birth of its offspring should be a doddle. Quite what the minds who conjured up the idea of Triel Baenre conceiving Jeggred were thinking I shudder to guess. It wasn't healthy at any rate.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  11:25:05  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

After all petite drow females give birth to draegloths. I should imagine after mating with a Glabrezu, the birth of its offspring should be a doddle. Quite what the minds who conjured up the idea of Triel Baenre conceiving Jeggred were thinking I shudder to guess. It wasn't healthy at any rate.

Thanks I didint think about that if a drow and a demon can have a baby why not a firbolg and a dwarf.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  15:51:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first son was born 10 lb 6 oz - he didn't fit into any of the newborn clothes we had!

He is now 6' 5" and still growing - I'm fairly certain he is half-Firbolg.

I found the childbirth completely painless - but my wife may have other notions.

The baby may tend toward the large size, but I think it's entirely possible and nature tends to compensate.

On the other hand, in the game Arcanum, the ebil Gnomes bred 'half-Ogres' as a servitor race. No-one questioned where they came from, but if you take the right series of quests, you find an island where Gnomish scientists were kidnapping human females and force-breeding them with Ogres just to create the race!

The women ALL died in childbirth...

Somewhat off-topic:
That was probably the MOST RP-intensive video game I've ever played (with NPC reactions based on previous encounters), and depending upon your race, gender, and the responses you give, the quests play out different every time - A real gem.

The Gnomes appear on the surface as a group of 'helpful' businessmen, but underneath they are a group of schemers controlling everything with their vast economic empire. I used to never use Gnomes IMGs because I thought they were silly, but since playing Arcanum I see them in a whole new light.

I highly recommend it, if you can find it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2008 15:52:15
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  16:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Size doesn't matter in *one* direction, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Healthy? Drow? Demon? Those words don't belong in the same sentence, unless punctuated by a lot of *NOTS* and *HARDLIES*.

The drow do have a lot of magic, though, and are very used to this whole "breeding with demons" thing. Also, the size is probably the LAST concern on their minds . . . one might consider the horns, occasional flame spurts, and sheer evil factor.

Your firbolg and dwarf might have it tougher, but you get an extremely hardy dwarf woman delivering a half-firbolg baby . . . I could see it. Plus, you'd have the bragging rights, like, forever.

I say go for it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  16:20:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this thread is already tending toward the... ummm...'impolite' end of the spectrum (for lack of a more politic word)...

I doubt any Dwarven male would be able (or willing) to 'accomodate' her after that.

But you know what they say, "Once you go Firbolg..."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2008 16:20:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  17:14:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Size doesn't matter in *one* direction, anyway.
I want to comment on this, because Erik reminded me of a humorous little tidbit from a recent adventure session at my gaming table.

But, Markus is right. We really should get on topic fellow scribes.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Sep 2008 17:15:21
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  17:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Since this thread is already tending toward the... ummm...'impolite' end of the spectrum (for lack of a more politic word)...

Honored, Markus--though I would suggest we go with the word "questionable," rather than "impolite."

There is nothing impolite about talking about love, be it between drow and demons, dwarves and firbolgs, or . . . ahem. We'll stop there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  17:57:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In our defense, the thread does (unfortunately) lead us down this 'unsavory' line of thought.

To get this somewhat back on topic, I know of at least one case of Dwarf/Elf love in the Realms (in Myth Drannor).

Does anyone else know of any canon examples of this sort of extra-racial pairing?

Aside from the 'normal' Orc/Human and Human/Elf couplings which are a staple of the game.

<This reminds me of that female beholder on the cover of that April issue of Dragon Magazine>

Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  18:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In deep dwarves it says they are able to breed with gnomes, halflings and humans. But I swear to you I read a candle keep compendium that featured an article on the thunder blessing and I think it said dwarves can breed with nearly any other race. It just doesn't happen often because of the lack of racial interaction. So I figured here I could get a better feel for the answer.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  18:17:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to ED, nearly anything can breed with anything, although sometimes a little magic is required.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  18:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does anyone else know of any canon examples of this sort of extra-racial pairing?
Aside from the 'normal' Orc/Human and Human/Elf couplings which are a staple of the game.

Actually, the 4e FRCG section on the Sea of Fallen Stars mentions how kuo-toa often interbreed with humans as a means of infiltrating surface cities. It implies that the offspring look totally human (i.e., the book says they can integrate into human communities without being readily discovered) and sometimes don't even know their heritage for a long time.

A couple Realms inter-species pairings are implied in my most recent novel (Depths of Madness) . . . though that depends on what you read into it.

SPOILERS:
The one reference (human x halfling) is very subtle (a single line in the epilogue) and the other pairing (elf x goliath) is not explicitly articulated, but rather implied by the standards of the fantasy genre (i.e., the heroes are supposed to end up together at the end).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  19:04:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to ED, nearly anything can breed with anything, although sometimes a little magic is required.

Ah yes reminds me of an old axiom...

Magic = Ale

Question, if your half Firbolg half dwarf baby is a girl, will she grow up to have a beard?

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  20:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Question, if your half Firbolg half dwarf baby is a girl, will she grow up to have a beard?

Certainly not until she grows up and hits puberty.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  21:08:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, the 4e FRCG section on the Sea of Fallen Stars mentions how kuo-toa often interbreed with humans as a means of infiltrating surface cities. It implies that the offspring look totally human (i.e., the book says they can integrate into human communities without being readily discovered) and sometimes don't even know their heritage for a long time.

Innsmouth!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  21:26:55  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel like I recall someone stating that dwarf and non-dwarf unions always result in dwarven children. I can't remember the context, but I'm pretty sure it was here on Candlekeep.

If that's the case, then I don't think there would be too much of a danger in the union (other than the obvious and already-stated). Of course, the firbolg might have "big genes" outside of being a giant, which could lead to a proportionately large dwarf in relative terms.

Then again, I don't come across much lore about the mating of the unalike, less-appealing-to-human races. The blatant exception is, of course, anything that would be cool to fight (half-demons, half-ogres, what have you).

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  21:34:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did something similar with the Doeganers of the Utter East (which canon says have 'fishy' parts). I figure some ancient connection to the Batrachi (through Kua-toa, as Erik has done), and the 'bloodline' has recently become more pronounced do to a 'corrupting influence' buried under the capital (an imprisoned Elder Evil or Fiendish Lord).

And I was also thinking "Innsmouth".

quote:

quote:

Magic = Ale

Wouldn't that make her a Furbolg?

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Sep 2008 05:06:16
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  00:43:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

I feel like I recall someone stating that dwarf and non-dwarf unions always result in dwarven children. I can't remember the context, but I'm pretty sure it was here on Candlekeep.
You may be thinking about something I always tend to bring up when the discussion of elf/dwarf pairings come up. In that, the offspring of such unions aren't a distinct crossbreed race, but taller dwarves, as FR11 Dwarves Deep discusses.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  14:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Magic = Ale

I hadn't thought about that until you asked the question.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  10:00:19  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Innsmouth!

It sounds very like Innsmouth. Then again, the Kuo-Toa were inspired by/based on Lovecraft's Deep Ones anyway.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000