Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Lady Penitent ---- SPOILERS warning!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mistowl
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  03:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Mistowl's Homepage Send Mistowl a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
First off all, really wonderful trilogy. Making Elistrae, Vhaerun and Qilué die in the same story was amazing. Was kinda sad tho that Cavatina died too, I came to like her :(

I was wondering, for those who've read the trilogy, at the end, we come to know that some of the drows were saved and restored as dark elves (brown skin and black hair).
Do you think Drizzt is part of the lineage that got restored?

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  04:47:07  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a six page thread, on the same subject.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11063

RAS won't yet say what happened to Drizzt.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  17:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

RAS won't yet say what happened to Drizzt.
Probably because he has two more Drizzt novels to be published, which will most likely explain what happens to Drizzt. Also, he may be behind NDAs that do not allow him to disclose what happens to Drizzt. However, it has been mentioned many times (including in the the prologue to the Orc King) that Drizzt survives into the 4e Realms.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:04:53  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed that was so. He was specifically asked, and he told us he'd have to "whistle past that question".

In the book, they say "hundreds" of dark elves were making their way to the surface.

If those elves are living in evil drow cities, like menzo, how many of them will make it to the surface. It seems to me that they'd most likely be slaughtered wholesale, before they left their cities.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:26:47  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mistowl

First off all, really wonderful trilogy. Making Elistrae, Vhaerun and Qilué die in the same story was amazing.

I dunno, I look for more out of stories than just a body count.

Go to Top of Page

Mistowl
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  19:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Mistowl's Homepage Send Mistowl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bad Aulduron. Didn't see the other thread

I do hope that Lisa will be handed another trilogy to continue writing about drows and dark elves; she does it pretty good imo.

I wish there could've been more details as to what REALLY happened to Vhaerunn when he faced Ellistrae in her realm. Did they actually blended together, or did she actually killed him?
Go to Top of Page

Mistowl
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  20:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Mistowl's Homepage Send Mistowl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tasker: I didn't mean to say in a morbid kind of FR fan... lol. I do hope for a solid story when i grab a novel of that line, but imo, it was actually pretty courageous to kill a goddess, a god and a demigod, first of all, which don't happen that often in the FR universe, and also kill one of the Seven Sisters...
I was glad to see that the editors did want to move the realms to something else, instead of being stuck in the same plots and stories. I dunno, it was kinda refreshing and surprising at the same time.

But as I'm a huge fan of Drizzt (like many), I also like some "static" which is conforting in some way. I found it bad that Salvatore did let go of Wulfgar, even if alot of people didn't like him. Can't wait to read the next installment in his trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  21:13:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tasker: I didn't mean to say in a morbid kind of FR fan... lol. I do hope for a solid story when i grab a novel of that line, but imo, it was actually pretty courageous to kill a goddess, a god and a demigod, first of all, which don't happen that often in the FR universe, and also kill one of the Seven Sisters...
I was glad to see that the editors did want to move the realms to something else, instead of being stuck in the same plots and stories. I dunno, it was kinda refreshing and surprising at the same time.

But as I'm a huge fan of Drizzt (like many), I also like some "static" which is conforting in some way. I found it bad that Salvatore did let go of Wulfgar, even if alot of people didn't like him. Can't wait to read the next installment in his trilogy.

One thing I learnaed at The Secets of the Forgotten Realms at GenCon was don't get to worried trying to tie NPC's into game mechanics, they just are what the are and can do what they do. I would assume that extends to skin color , so with the new WOTC guide to Drizzst just released with him still being black, I doubt it is ever addressed with D. He just transcends everyother character, so if RA does not want to change him, he does not have to (unless they absolutley force him to which would be silly).

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  21:43:00  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt was never redeemed by Elistraee. If his bloodline is tainted by Wedonai, he won't change. He was a good Drow before this happened, he can still be a good drow after. I doubt Jarlaxle would change, but it would be interesting to see who does, and what happens to them.

Vhaerun never stood a chance. When he was banished, Correlon swore "by every tree in Arvandor" that the day he raised a hand against his sister would be his last.

Yeah, I'd like to see more of Qarlynd, and see how he copes with the changes.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena Dawndancer
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  10:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena Dawndancer's Homepage Send Yasraena Dawndancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is most likely going to stay a Drow, making him anything else would remove all the self-hating angst that he brings to any novel. *cough* Oh, did I say that? I more curious about what happened to Liriel since she was redeemed by Eilistraee but after Windwalker seemed to be abandoned by the Eilistraeens. She was house Baenre...definitely Wendonai tainted.

One who has true faith and good deeds, never fears death.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  16:50:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine did write a short story about her, think it's in the Best of Elaine Cunningham, but basically it boils down to Liriel becoming a cleric of Mystra, however, with the events of the Spellplague, now its really up in the air.

quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena Dawndancer

Drizzt is most likely going to stay a Drow, making him anything else would remove all the self-hating angst that he brings to any novel. *cough* Oh, did I say that? I more curious about what happened to Liriel since she was redeemed by Eilistraee but after Windwalker seemed to be abandoned by the Eilistraeens. She was house Baenre...definitely Wendonai tainted.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  17:36:06  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story you speak of is in Best of the Realms 3. It's titled "Answered Prayers".

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  18:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The story you speak of is in Best of the Realms 3. It's titled "Answered Prayers".
A book I still need to obtain a copy of.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  18:50:35  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a good one, and all Elaine.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Nkoda
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  01:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Nkoda's Homepage Send Nkoda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds exciting. I can't seem to find that book. Hooray for backorders.

Welcome to Jamrock
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  01:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Making Elistrae, Vhaerun and Qilué die in the same story was amazing.

I agree, but for different reasons...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  01:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If those elves are living in evil drow cities, like menzo, how many of them will make it to the surface. It seems to me that they'd most likely be slaughtered wholesale, before they left their cities.

A bunch of other people figured the same thing, myself included.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000