Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Scourges of Fangs in Shadowdale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  09:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A few things on their design and usage ...

Well, I had a look into Shadowdale and a few drow happen to be around there, one wielding the whip (now) scourges of fangs. They reappeared in the web-enhancement to City of the Spider Queen, and emerged for 3RE in Serpent Kingdoms.

It says that you can either use them with your own or the snakes AB and you deal scourge damage and have one snake effect or use a full-round action to have the snakes attack at either your or the snakes AB, whichever is better. So far, so good.

In Shadowdale though, the drow wielding the snakes gets the following (I kept the full values secret, as players might happen by) stats (p. 108)

Melee +2 scourge +x/+x (1d8 plus 5 snake heads)

Now, first, this is using her Base Full Attack, so she – according to the stats given for the scourge – attacks twice doing scourge damage and may cause the effect of one snake-head per hit, at least as I understood the (P&Ced Serpent Kingdoms) description. Thus, the “plus 5 snake heads” cannot be correct. Furthermore, the scourges deal 1d8+2 damage by default, being a +2 weapon. A full round snake attack should read +x* (1** plus Pain, 5 snake heads), unless I am mistaken, using * the priestess’ highest AB (5 times, once for each snake head) or that of the snakes, (whichever is higher and which is given in Serpent Kingdoms as +8, BTW) and possibly ** adding the scourges magical and the priestess’ STR et al bonus to the damage.

I also noted that while I would give the priestesses that feat for free anyway (or build it into the scourge (a gift of Lolth, no less)), she lacks the Exotic Weapon Proficiency for the scourge.

I still wonder which was is the correct one to use these weapons though.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 30 Jul 2008 09:29:27

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  14:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not all at once. It's going to confuse me.

While speaking of weapons, anyone ever saw an official conversion of the AD&D broadswords to 3E/RE?

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  20:06:52  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Not all at once. It's going to confuse me.

While speaking of weapons, anyone ever saw an official conversion of the AD&D broadswords to 3E/RE?

Yes! The "Chondathan Steelsword" described in either the FRCS, PGtoF or MoF (in the non-magical equipment section) is a broadsword commonly used in Cormyr. Don't remember which book, but it's in there somewhere...
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  12:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure? Had a quick look at and couldn't find it. Might send my beholder pet to double check it later (you see, more eyes might still spot it in those books) but only the FRCS had any non-magical weaponry at al :-/

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  15:31:09  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this Purple Dragon Knight is quite sure! he uses his Chondathan Steelsword everyday!

[old knight rises from his chair, joints popping and cracking, and goes downstairs to look in his books himself...]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000