Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 4th Edition Drow, Swordmage, Genasi revealed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  08:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The preview PDF for the Living Forgotten Realms details the Drow, Swordmage, and Genasi.

I am relieved to find that the Drow still seem to have their original flavor, and have not been substantially changed aside from lacking spell resistance, but that was expected given the 4ed rules.

The Darkfire and Cloud of Darkness encounter powers are fairly comparable to Faerie Fire and Darkness. Rules for house insignia were not included.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/lfrcharacters

Edited by - Ranak on 24 Jul 2008 08:07:59

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  08:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should have scrolled to the end of the PDF, the background feats for the various regions are also detailed.

Aglarond

Akanul

Badur's Gate

Dalelands

Dragon Coast

East Rift

Impiltur

Luruar

Moonshae

Tymanther

Waterdeep

Conspicuously missing: Netheril (Shade), Sembia, Chondath, Thay (all of the East really), the North, well... I'll cross my fingers that the list in the actual Realms Guide is more extensive.

quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

The preview PDF for the Living Forgotten Realms details the Drow, Swordmage, and Genasi.

I am relieved to find that the Drow still seem to have their original flavor, and have not been substantially changed aside from lacking spell resistance, but that was expected given the 4ed rules.

The Darkfire and Cloud of Darkness encounter powers are fairly comparable to Faerie Fire and Darkness. Rules for house insignia were not included.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/lfrcharacters

Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  09:59:59  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those're the regions available for LFR play, and this is a LFR document, so it's likely that only those 12 were released so that LFR players could get an early peek at what their regions have to offer. I'm betting (and hoping) that every region will have something to offer, not just those 12. Especially since I'm planning on playing LFR, although my character won't be from any of those regions.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  12:25:42  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here we go.

quote:
WHAT'S NOT IN HERE?
When we created the preview list, we drew the line at what would be essential for Living Forgotten Realms players from the kickoff of the campaign in August at Gen Con Indy. Missing from this document are racial feats, about half of the swordmage powers from levels 1-3 (and all the rest of the class powers), and most of the character backgrounds (the ones chosen are the 12 regions in Living Forgotten Realms).

There's still plenty of other material waiting for you when the book releases. New feats, paragon paths, and many more backgrounds are but a few of the options that await you when the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide hits the shelves!

So yep. It appears that the background list is far more extensive.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  01:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my players has a friend who was a play tester for 4.New.Coke, and after looking at this Realms.New.Coke preview, I gotta admit ... he was right ... this thing is a video game! It's the book of a video game! And one which looks a lot less fun than Ms. Pac-Man ever was.

I look in its general direction and cause it to explode in flame for a hundred points of damage. Oh, no ... wait ... that was Baker's Tome of Battle. Ahhh ... I ... oh, Nine Hells ... I just spit on it and guarantee my players that I will never dump any of this New.Coke carp on them.

It's easy to see why Hasbro has its panties in a bunch over "Scrabulous" -- ain't no one gonna play this as enthusiastically as they play that.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  16:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally like the Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, despite its double-existence as a playtest for some 4e mechanics. If your players enjoy it, let them keep it. It still has the 3.x D&D logo and not the 4e one on it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000