Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 FR Excerpt: The Great Dale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:07:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080731a

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:51:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well it is at least a bit more interesting than Loudwater

I wonder what there going to do with Soneillon seeing as how Succubus are now devils...... Im guessing she'll be killed off

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:59:26  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another excerpt, and yet another nail in the coffin of the Realms we once knew.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  09:35:20  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Yet another excerpt, and yet another nail in the coffin of the Realms we once knew.

it's not that bad, at least it reflects previous lore for the region.

Things move on, the WoTC 4E Realms have moved on, all they can do is write about the current times and hopefully add something of what happened before (1E/2E/3E).

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  11:09:42  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Things move on, the WoTC 4E Realms have moved on,

Our bowels move regularly but it's nothing to cheer about. The problem is if they stop moving or they move on too fast. The problem with the $E Realms is that they've moved on too quick.

Put it another way, there is moving on and there is progress. I would have liked to have seen progress but what we've got is change for change's sake.

That said perhaps your choice of the words "move on" is apt. After all, people always say you have to move on after the death of a relative or close friend.

<- Just so you know I'm not picking a fight.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 31 Jul 2008 11:10:45
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  11:53:49  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Dale has the opposite problem as the other previewed regions : too little has been done. 100 years have passed and the status quo is still where the novel "Lady of Poison" left things. That doesn't make much sense.

Edited by - RodOdom on 31 Jul 2008 12:05:29
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  12:22:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn
<- Just so you know I'm not picking a fight.

I know .

I agree, I am not a fan of the new 4E Realms (from what I have seen or read about). I am not a fan of some things that has happened in 3E Realms either, too many RSE's for one, (clunky mechanical rules for another.....).

All WoTC can do is write about 4E as this is their new Realms, all we can hope for is that the articles are interesting and at least acknowledge the history that preceded it, in this case the Great Dale article hits (some of) the mark.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 31 Jul 2008 12:52:42
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  12:45:09  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very fair points you make Damian.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  14:10:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than the fact this preview is post-Sellplague, I find no real faults with it. It's still light on information, but it's not something that was pointlessly changed (Elfharrow), lacking in Realmslore (Elfharrow, Loudwater), or that totally ignored what had come before (Elfharrow). I wish all the previews had been more like this one.

And whoa, Dargoth is back! Welcome back!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Jul 2008 14:11:53
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  14:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

it's not that bad, at least it reflects previous lore for the region.

Things move on, the WoTC 4E Realms have moved on, all they can do is write about the current times and hopefully add something of what happened before (1E/2E/3E).

I agree. I'm not saying I like the context, but at least this time it seems like this area remains connected to previous lore.

By the way, I didn't think the Rotting Man was killed in Lady of Poison (the excerpt references the events of those novels), just defeated.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  15:10:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-UE is one of my favorite 3.5 books.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll