Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I miss Volo!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  06:52:52  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my players wrote his characterīs history with the presence of Volothamp Geddarm.
So I fall in the question? Why Volo isnīt mencioned in any 3 ed book?
Worst! Now he is probably dead in 4 ed. Will I hear some news about him in future?

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  07:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss him too.

I use the Volo's Guides whenever I can for 3ed.

Don't know if we'll see him in 4ed or not.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  08:22:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

One of my players wrote his characterīs history with the presence of Volothamp Geddarm.
Worst! Now he is probably dead in 4 ed. Will I hear some news about him in future?

Well, I seem to remember there being an opinion that Volo guides where not gaming material. I think there was some Dragon material featuring him, but I am little help there as I have had little interest in the magazine since the introduction of 3ed.

As for seeing him in 4ed. I doubt that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  08:23:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why Volo isnīt mencioned in any 3 ed book?
Volo was to receive a brief reference in the 3e Shadowdale adventure which would've hinted at his [then] current situation. Unfortunately, that little tidbit did not survive the editor's pen.
quote:
I asked Ed what he could tell us about Volo's fate, earlier this year. Here's a snippet of that exchange --

THO:-

"(His "dream" project, I know, is to get to do another Volo's-style book for the Realms. A sassy female descendant of Volo spitting out catty restaurant reviews after touring parts of the 4e Realms, perhaps.)
love to all,
THO"

Sage:-

"And a fine dream it is. I must admit, I have sometimes wondered what Volo's descendents would be like, and this seems like a fitting time to ask Ed.

So, Ed, aside from this image of a "sassy female descendent," have you ever given much thought as to what the other descendents of Volo would be like?"

THO:-

"Sage, Ed has indeed given much thought, over the years, to possible Volo descendants. None of which has ever seen print, as editions change, the Realms timeline jumps, and TSR and WotC staffers blow hot and cold on the status of Volo (destroy him utterly! sorta like him as useful, y'know? No, make it as if he never existed! etc.).
We'll just have to see . . .
love,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jul 2008 08:26:37
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  09:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always liked Volo and his guide to the realms was always read with a wry grin.

I like the idea of a desendant of his giving sassy resturant reviews, sounds amusing indeed.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  09:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo brought the everyday wonder of the Realms to us so vividly that I was able to easily imagine Volo-visited areas with detail almost as if I had actually been there. That is helpful if you are a player or DM. It also is a fantastic read for Realms fans. Volo's guides are a must for any Realms fan. That's just my humble opinion though.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  10:03:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
think they said we were going to meet Volo in the next nwn2 expansion....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  17:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You miss Volo? Who doesn't?

quote:

Because 3E neglected to address a lot of interesting things.

More seriously, it probably has something to do with the fact that WotC desired an omniscient narrative style for their sourcebooks rather than an unreliable narrator like Volo.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  06:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you need to flank him, or catch him flat-footed? If you're still missing him, find something to improve your AR.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  17:32:04  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The following link adds a bit more to what sfdragon mentioned above about Volo being in the second expansion to NWN 2.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6194570&pid=946862&tag=top_stories;title;1

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  18:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sparhawk42

The following link adds a bit more to what sfdragon mentioned above about Volo being in the second expansion to NWN 2.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6194570&pid=946862&tag=top_stories;title;1

quote:
You'll navigate the high-seas on board the Vigilant when it quickly become apparent that your trusty ships has been sabotaged. With your party in tow, as well as the famous bard Volo, you'll begin to explore the land of Samarach and all the mystery that it holds. We watched as Volo ran into a group of menacing goblins. Not being fluent in their language, Volo managed to insult the goblins and instigate a full scale battle. You can expect plenty of such tomfoolery from Volo as you progress through SoZ.

The famous bard, Volo?

I'm aware that the people writing up these previews often don't know much (if anything) about the setting, but I'm already a bit worried. :-/ I hope Obsidian does the character justice.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000