Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I miss Volo!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IngoDjan Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 06:52:52
One of my players wrote his characterīs history with the presence of Volothamp Geddarm.
So I fall in the question? Why Volo isnīt mencioned in any 3 ed book?
Worst! Now he is probably dead in 4 ed. Will I hear some news about him in future?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Jul 2008 : 18:17:22
quote:
Originally posted by sparhawk42

The following link adds a bit more to what sfdragon mentioned above about Volo being in the second expansion to NWN 2.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6194570&pid=946862&tag=top_stories;title;1

quote:
You'll navigate the high-seas on board the Vigilant when it quickly become apparent that your trusty ships has been sabotaged. With your party in tow, as well as the famous bard Volo, you'll begin to explore the land of Samarach and all the mystery that it holds. We watched as Volo ran into a group of menacing goblins. Not being fluent in their language, Volo managed to insult the goblins and instigate a full scale battle. You can expect plenty of such tomfoolery from Volo as you progress through SoZ.

The famous bard, Volo?

I'm aware that the people writing up these previews often don't know much (if anything) about the setting, but I'm already a bit worried. :-/ I hope Obsidian does the character justice.
sparhawk42 Posted - 17 Jul 2008 : 17:32:04
The following link adds a bit more to what sfdragon mentioned above about Volo being in the second expansion to NWN 2.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6194570&pid=946862&tag=top_stories;title;1
Kyrene Posted - 17 Jul 2008 : 06:39:56
Perhaps you need to flank him, or catch him flat-footed? If you're still missing him, find something to improve your AR.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 17:22:18
You miss Volo? Who doesn't?

quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

Because 3E neglected to address a lot of interesting things.

More seriously, it probably has something to do with the fact that WotC desired an omniscient narrative style for their sourcebooks rather than an unreliable narrator like Volo.
sfdragon Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 10:03:21
think they said we were going to meet Volo in the next nwn2 expansion....
Wandering_mage Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 09:47:02
Volo brought the everyday wonder of the Realms to us so vividly that I was able to easily imagine Volo-visited areas with detail almost as if I had actually been there. That is helpful if you are a player or DM. It also is a fantastic read for Realms fans. Volo's guides are a must for any Realms fan. That's just my humble opinion though.
Talwyn Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 09:22:44
I always liked Volo and his guide to the realms was always read with a wry grin.

I like the idea of a desendant of his giving sassy resturant reviews, sounds amusing indeed.
The Sage Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 08:23:25
quote:

Why Volo isnīt mencioned in any 3 ed book?
Volo was to receive a brief reference in the 3e Shadowdale adventure which would've hinted at his [then] current situation. Unfortunately, that little tidbit did not survive the editor's pen.
quote:
Worst! Now he is probably dead in 4 ed. Will I hear some news about him in future?
I asked Ed what he could tell us about Volo's fate, earlier this year. Here's a snippet of that exchange --

THO:-

"(His "dream" project, I know, is to get to do another Volo's-style book for the Realms. A sassy female descendant of Volo spitting out catty restaurant reviews after touring parts of the 4e Realms, perhaps.)
love to all,
THO"

Sage:-

"And a fine dream it is. I must admit, I have sometimes wondered what Volo's descendents would be like, and this seems like a fitting time to ask Ed.

So, Ed, aside from this image of a "sassy female descendent," have you ever given much thought as to what the other descendents of Volo would be like?"

THO:-

"Sage, Ed has indeed given much thought, over the years, to possible Volo descendants. None of which has ever seen print, as editions change, the Realms timeline jumps, and TSR and WotC staffers blow hot and cold on the status of Volo (destroy him utterly! sorta like him as useful, y'know? No, make it as if he never existed! etc.).
We'll just have to see . . .
love,
THO"
Jorkens Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 08:22:35
quote:

One of my players wrote his characterīs history with the presence of Volothamp Geddarm.

Well, I seem to remember there being an opinion that Volo guides where not gaming material. I think there was some Dragon material featuring him, but I am little help there as I have had little interest in the magazine since the introduction of 3ed.

As for seeing him in 4ed. I doubt that.
Sanishiver Posted - 16 Jul 2008 : 07:39:17
I miss him too.

I use the Volo's Guides whenever I can for 3ed.

Don't know if we'll see him in 4ed or not.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000