Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 4e's Game System License
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  00:25:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/welcome

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  01:14:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, again, the WOTC site is down. The link didn't work for me atm and for the past day, or two, people on ENworld have been saying the same.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  01:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, the link is working here (and it has worked the last hours). Seems to be that something different is the problem.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:10:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Hm, the link is working here (and it has worked the last hours). Seems to be that something different is the problem.

It worked for me the 2nd time I tried. I think, still, though, that WOTC's site is acting up. :) Sage sent the gremlins over there, me thinks.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:27:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Its the Death Throw of Gleemax! Maybe it will gain awareness and become Sky-Net!

-Seriously that site has been acting strange lately.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:39:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got a notice from my gremlins. Apparently they're trying to boycott WotC!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  03:29:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, its back up.

I need to send a portion of that off to a few organizations.

They've really pissed me off this time - I got another warning, this time about 'indecency', of all things.

Someone made a comment, to which I replied that I had created a group of 'leather nuns' that followed a god called Vibronicus, and the used Rods of vibration to induce both pleasure and pain, sort of like the Mord Sith from the Sword of Truth novels.

I was being serious - I really did create such a group (but not for FR, and it was awhile ago). Although it does have a sexual conatation, I was going for more of a Loviatar/S&M feel for them - more of a dark Marque DeSade thing, then a group of 'party girls'.

Nothing I said violates any FCC rules, which means I could say that on public television, yet someone reported me for being offensive and I got another warning.

Had I given any details or descriptions, I could understand, but from that simple blurb they took offense - they really are catering to children now over there.

Anyhow, I'm glad it's back up - now I can quote it and send it to certain parties who will be pretty offended by what Hasbro finds offensive.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2008 03:30:47
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  06:29:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the DP - I just re-read the license (probably for the 30th time) and I just realized - according to their own rules, it would be just as wrong to depict a heterosexual relationship as a homosexual one!

You are not allowed to depict ANY content showing sexual prefernces or favoring ANY lifestyle choices.

That means that there can be NO heterosexual relationships depicted in any D&D products, according to their own wordage, because it would show they are favoring one lifestyle over another.

I guess in the new D&D, everyone is one gender and the race re-produces Asexually.

Just one more thing 4e has 'watered down'.

I decided not to make a big deal about this afterall - as much as I would like to see some Lesbian group picketing the WotC offices, I think the publicity would do them more good then harm.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2008 06:30:23
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  23:01:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC issued a new press release about the GSL and SRD.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080811

The fan policy still doesn't have a set date about when it's being released.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  06:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They seem to try to contain the damage they have caused by 4e and all decisions related to it.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  07:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WotC
We have listened to the community and our valued colleagues and have taken their concerns and recommendations to heart.

Hear hear!

Not that I am interested in 4e stuff coming from other publishers, but maybe the "success" is far less glorious than they had hoped. We can only speculate there.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  12:08:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Originally posted by WotC
We have listened to the community and our valued colleagues and have taken their concerns and recommendations to heart.

Hear hear!

Not that I am interested in 4e stuff coming from other publishers, but maybe the "success" is far less glorious than they had hoped. We can only speculate there.

One can find perfectly good products for a system one cant stand. It worked for me during 3ed.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  19:21:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you posting that, Kuje.

I find it very interesting, but I'm tired of speculating for the moment.

The only thing I will say is that I interpret "We have listened to the Community" as "We have felt the lack of spending by the Community". They've made it pretty clear these last few months that "the community's" opinions matter very little to them.

And, as always, I will leave off with "it will be a VERY intersting year".

Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  19:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
The only thing I will say is that I interpret "We have listened to the Community" as "We have felt the lack of spending by the Community". They've made it pretty clear these last few months that "the community's" opinions matter very little to them.

I suspect that the "community" refers less to the viewpoints of those such as us, or even the average 4E fan, and more to those like Clark at Necromancer Games. I suspect that WotC did not anticipate the level of objections to their new GSL that they received, or the underwhelming number of companies signing on. Essentially, when someone who was as pro-4E as Clark refused, that was an immediate signal to pretty much everybody that something was undeniably wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  20:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Wraith

I suspect that WotC did not anticipate the level of objections to their new GSL that they received...

Which, while I believe is probably quite true, is also quite laughable considering the utter piece of crap that it is at this point.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:16:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Linae Foster, one of the two, along with Scott Rouse, that was helping with the GSL and getting it revised has either left WOTC or she was one of the people thas has been laid off in the reorganization.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:20:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Double post.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 22 Aug 2008 17:21:58
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:20:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Gamer Zero has left also. Forwhatever reasons.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:40:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, alrdy posted that in the other thread, since it didn't have to do with the GSL while Linae's does. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Gamer Zero has left also. Forwhatever reasons.

BRIMSTONE

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  19:31:10  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but has there been any word on a fansite GSL yet?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  20:18:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. And Scott, a week or so, on ENworld, said that the normal GSL is behind still because he's been working on other material.

I dunno..... I'm beginning to think that neither GSL will see the light of day. :)

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but has there been any word on a fansite GSL yet?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  22:49:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a shame. Because if fan-sites are uncertain about just what material they can use from the 4e system, it's going to impact upon the great tradition of sensible and worthwhile fan-lore that is often submitted to such sites -- like Candlekeep, for example.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  00:40:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I don't know what to think any more.... I'd rather know for certain what they will, or will not, allow.....

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That is a shame. Because if fan-sites are uncertain about just what material they can use from the 4e system, it's going to impact upon the great tradition of sensible and worthwhile fan-lore that is often submitted to such sites -- like Candlekeep, for example.

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  04:43:41  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Indeed. I don't know what to think any more.... I'd rather know for certain what they will, or will not, allow.....

I just wish they'd put something out so the Candlekeep Compendium can go on. I've really liked reading them so I hope they can continue sometime in the near future.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  05:45:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As do I, as do I. Especially because I'd like to write some articles, again.... but until I know for sure what Wizards stance is, I don't want to step on their property. :)

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

quote:

I just wish they'd put something out so the Candlekeep Compendium can go on. I've really liked reading them so I hope they can continue sometime in the near future.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  21:54:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I know some of you are upset of about Ema's web site. I wish that I could explain it for you, but I can't talk about the details as this is a legal issue.

What I will say is that what happened with Ema's should not be interpreted as a war against fan sites. We value fan sites like ENWorld, RPGnet, Athas.org, Dragonlance Nexus, Candle Keep and the others that add to the D&D community while respecting our IP and business.

Also, we are still working on our fan site policy which will provide guidelines for the use of Wizards’ IPs moving forward.

Regards,

Scott Rouse"

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  22:45:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"I know some of you are upset of about Ema's web site. I wish that I could explain it for you, but I can't talk about the details as this is a legal issue.

What I will say is that what happened with Ema's should not be interpreted as a war against fan sites. We value fan sites like ENWorld, RPGnet, Athas.org, Dragonlance Nexus, Candle Keep and the others that add to the D&D community while respecting our IP and business.

Also, we are still working on our fan site policy which will provide guidelines for the use of Wizards’ IPs moving forward.

Regards,

Scott Rouse"

Well, that's something at least. And I'm happy to see that Candlekeep is considered a valued fan-site. Now all that remains, is to see just how much our efforts here fit in with the new standard of product development and advertising embraced by WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  22:53:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Tis most Interesting.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  23:07:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if they say we cannot contain content that is both 4e and pre-4e?

Because... ya know... thats whats gonna happen. That's what the GSL said, and I really doubt they plan to back down now.

Funny thing is, the article I had ready to go was historic, but contained a smattering of 4e terminolgy (just to give it a nod).

That means we won't be able to even acknowledge 4e's existance... unless we all agree to move to 4eFR...

...and go quietly into the night.

But, we shall see what we shall see.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Feb 2009 15:04:17
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  23:22:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Right! I am beginning to think it will be one or the other, take it or leave it.

-One good thing that would happen because of that would be certain "Flamebait Threads" and "Flamebait Threads" in particular would go away and we could go back to talking about Realms Lore. Now Wooly and Sage and Big Al would be busy keeping the site free of that stuff, maybe some more Mods would help them out. Like you Markus, I think you or Kuje would make great Mods.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 06 Feb 2009 23:23:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page