Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 half orc / half elf pc
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  18:07:48  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it possible to play half orc/half elf character.I and would you get all the beneifits of both.The weapon and grace skills of the elf and there magic use as well and for the orc there strength and rage and I think regeneration.Not sure on that last one.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Edited by - riot the outsider on 13 Jun 2008 18:08:38

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  18:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it is theoretically possible. But in the Realms context this character would have to be the product of rape and would have to somehow have survived childhood without having been killed by either of the races for being an abomination.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  18:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all due respect, I disagree about the "rape", part. It's possible (albeit unlikely) that there could be a love match between an orc and an elf. In fact, Ed has mentioned one such match before in his Answers here.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  19:24:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leaving the characters'creation' aside and looking at the rules part. If I would be DM I would have the player choose between either the half-elf traits and the half-orc traits. It is more likely that the traits of only one parent will be dominant rather than both equaly.

Just my initial thought on this.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  05:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

With all due respect, I disagree about the "rape", part. It's possible (albeit unlikely) that there could be a love match between an orc and an elf. In fact, Ed has mentioned one such match before in his Answers here.

Yes, my apologies, Rin. I was being a terrible bigot. It must be the Gold Elf in me
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  05:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

November 14, 2006:
quote:
Amaundra Faeroethyr, a CG female moon elf Rgr7 of the High Forest, orphaned in childhood, was sorely wounded in a battle with orcs. A lone, outcast orc of a rival tribe found her, nursed her back to health, and they fell deeply in love and became companions, Amaundra eventually dying (willingly) of the revages {sic} of childbirth (they both knew birthing half-orc after half-orc child was harming her internally, but she refused to stop making love with her beloved Urthorkh, and neither of them dared to try to seek out anyone with magic - - who might well try to slay them out of disgust - - to try to "put things to rights" in her innards.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  05:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Leaving the characters'creation' aside and looking at the rules part. If I would be DM I would have the player choose between either the half-elf traits and the half-orc traits. It is more likely that the traits of only one parent will be dominant rather than both equaly.

Just my initial thought on this.

I concur. A character who is half-elf/half-human does not get the benefits of both races, so it is illogical to assume that an even more "unnatural" creature would get both elf and orc bonuses.

To be brutally honest, if a player in my campaign even asked for such a thing, I would immediately rule against it, because I'm an old-fashioned kind of DM, and have little patience with the foolishness which even allows for the creation of "half-orc, half-elf, Shadowalker, dragonblooded, tiefling" sorts of monstrosities (and, yes, that is a "legal" combination).

Far from giving such an ungodly chimera bonuses, I would impose massive penalties to it, particularly reducing Constitution by a substantial amount because of the awful pre-natal troubles it would have had and the privations it would certainly endure throughout its life, exiled from any decent sort of community, and most indecent ones, too. If someone wanted to roleplay that affliction, I'd be more than happy to oversee it, but in a one-on-one; I would not want other PCs killed because they are associating with a foul abomination accursed of gods and mortals alike. (Read the first chapters of Evermeet to see just how "ungodly" such a combination would be.)

Orcs, incidentally, do not have regeneration as a racial quality. They mature early and breed profusely, instead. Given how very long the elven gestation period is, if the dam was an elf and the sire an orc, the spawn would probably be born in a premature miscarriage which would probably be fatal to the mother, and would almost certainly rip out her uterus, permanently sterilizing her, even if she survived. If the dam were an orc and the sire an elf, the spawn would likely be developmentally disabled from an unnaturally short (for an elf) gestation period, and also be spontaneously aborted by the mother after six months or however long orcish pregnancies usually last, meaning that it would have a very high likelihood of being stillborn. Consult the works of S. King, R. Campbell, R. Bloch, et al. for information on other possible complications.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 14 Jun 2008 06:08:51
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  15:03:20  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rules aside...anything is possible...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  17:16:20  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But in the end, it's all a matter of what your DM will allow...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  17:54:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Elves and Orcs can breed in RAW, so I don't think I would allow that combo except for an NPC.

For a player, I would allow a child that is the product of a Half-Orc and Half-Elf union, which would be possible and MUCH more likely, and still allow the player to achieve the flavor he wants without bending the rules every which way.

And NO, there is absolutely NO reason why such a thing (if allowed) need be a product of Rape! That is a silly, out-dated notion. I have, time and again on the WotC boards, pointed out specific regions ALL OVER FAERűN where Orcs and Humans mix together without bloodshed - check the entry for the town of Purskul (in Amn)for just one example. Also, the Uthgardt Barbarians tribes have always viewed Orcish tribes the exact same way as other human tribes, and inter-breeding has been going on for centuries with no negative conotations applied.

I suppose, if you really wanted to, you can just say that there is also a tribe of Wild Elves (Grugach) living in the north that also occassionally 'mixes' with the other two groups. I'd probably place them in the Cold Wood, if it were me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  18:54:16  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well what if the pc was a half moon elf /half drow would this be possible.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  23:00:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

Mmh, kind of tricky this one, but since elves breed true when they 'mix' (that is a mon elf and a drow would give birth to either a true moonelf or a true drow) I would assume that this would hold up in your example as well.

Therefore the result of such a liason would be either a half moon elf or a half drow, chance 50/50.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  18:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Yes, my apologies, Rin. I was being a terrible bigot. It must be the Gold Elf in me
Afet

No apology necessary, I just happened to remember the answer from Ed that Jamallo kindly posted above.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  01:26:44  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Amaundra Faeroethyr, a CG female moon elf Rgr7 of the High Forest, orphaned in childhood, was sorely wounded in a battle with orcs. A lone, outcast orc of a rival tribe found her, nursed her back to health, and they fell deeply in love and became companions, Amaundra eventually dying (willingly) of the revages {sic} of childbirth (they both knew birthing half-orc after half-orc child was harming her internally, but she refused to stop making love with her beloved Urthorkh, and neither of them dared to try to seek out anyone with magic - - who might well try to slay them out of disgust - - to try to "put things to rights" in her innards.
I admit my first, rather insensitive reaction to the above story was "They never heard of contraception?" Perhaps they really hadn't, or it was not equipped for the situation, but... I don't know.

Personally, I'd probably neglect such a character in favor of pages on pages explaining how their parents got together, but that's me.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  02:09:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what to say, because part of the reading of some posts above come too close to RL.

D&D rules last I checked did not include orc and elf/drow offspring at core rules. They barely did much with halfelf which always implied elf and human mating. Drow and Elf mating has been discussed abit in canon. That the child most often would appear Drow, but could appear surface elf, and even rarer appear to be a half Drow without human traits.

Of course canon changes.

*sighs* Orcs are evil and must rape to get half offspring, falls into the same catagory that Drow rape on their surface attacks.

RW history does indicate the winners do rape those of the defeated, some science claims the odds of conception from rape is low though clearly posible.

he Orc King clearly sanactions a human orc marriage so free will mating is now aceptible.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  05:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously, now would be the time to repost A Very Ugly Backstory

Edited by - Caedwyr on 16 Jun 2008 05:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  17:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

I had a player who wanted to be a drow and wield a moonblade; and since the half-drow is the same as a half-elf but with darkvision; and the black skin/white hair is a dominate gene; I had her create a moon elf character with darkvision and drow coloring. It worked pretty well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  17:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for a half-elf/orc race, I would use the following rules:
* +2 Str, -2 Con
* Medium: As Medium creatures, they have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Base land speed of 30 ft
* Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
* Darkvision: They can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
* Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, they are considered an elf.
* Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, they are is considered an orc.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Elven and Orc. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
* Favored Class: Monk.

EDIT: Changed favored class from Bard to Monk.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 23 Jun 2008 03:13:49
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  17:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

* Favored Class: Bard. (It just kind fits for me, feel free to make it something else.)

I can see that working.

I can also see some prestige classes such as Arcane Archer come into play...quite interesting.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  18:12:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What would you call a half-orc/half-elf? An orf? Olf? Erc? Elc?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  18:17:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

* Favored Class: Bard. (It just kind fits for me, feel free to make it something else.)

I can see that working.

I can also see some prestige classes such as Arcane Archer come into play...quite interesting.

I don't see that... Elves may may good bards, but it's not something you associate orcs with. Considering that elves are naturally inclined towards warrior-types (as well as mage-types), and orcs are almost always warrior-types, then I'd make warrior the favored class.

Also, bards tend to like the limelight. I don't know that a virtually unique humanoid like a half-orc/half-elf is going to be busy drawing attention to himself all the time. I'd expect the character to avoid attention, as much as possible.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  21:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

I can see that working.

I don't see that... Elves may may good bards, but it's not something you associate orcs with. Considering that elves are naturally inclined towards warrior-types (as well as mage-types), and orcs are almost always warrior-types, then I'd make warrior the favored class.

Also, bards tend to like the limelight. I don't know that a virtually unique humanoid like a half-orc/half-elf is going to be busy drawing attention to himself all the time. I'd expect the character to avoid attention, as much as possible.

My feeling was more that being virtually unique, and abhorred by both cultures, a half-elf/orc might find a bard appealing so they could express themselves through music and/or poetry. My next suggestion would probably be Monk, since they spend a lot of time in solitude and focus on martial discipline. Damn, I just might have to play on of these sometime to see what it is like.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  21:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What would you call a half-orc/half-elf? An orf? Olf? Erc? Elc?
I thought about this a little too, and the best thing I came up with was Fleorc.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  05:26:05  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with alot of you. And yes I am going to make it a warrior /monk type.Wooly and hawkins hit right on the head. I also like the rules hawkins laid out for my pc and will use them.Also hawkins thanks for showing intrest in my character I have come up with.I wanted make some what of character of medveil/samurai/ninja type. and with darkvision would really help with my pc being more stealthly.Plus my pc also has spells to help with stealth and healing.its weapons suit my pc as well.And yes I have a back story.

Go to Top of Page

Runis Silverhammer
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  18:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Runis Silverhammer's Homepage Send Runis Silverhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might try a character like this for my next game with my friends, with a slight difference...my char has been experimented on while captured by a mad wizard and now has the strength of a fire giant, which the mad wizard found out to his disliking when my character broke free from his bonds using his newly found strength and escaped ;) but in essence, he's a half-orc/half-elf...just a bit beefier now.

"Gygax:The new D&D is too rule intensive. It's relegated the Dungeon Master to being an entertainer rather than master of the game. It's done away with the archetypes, focused on nothing but combat and character power, lost the group cooperative aspect, bastardized the class-based system, and resembles a comic-book superheroes game more than a fantasy RPG where a player can play any alignment desired, not just lawful good. Now, should I tell you what I really think [of it]?"
Go to Top of Page

jimmyjimjam
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  07:06:52  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjimjam's Homepage Send jimmyjimjam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remind me why a half orc/half elf is any more beastly than a half-elf?
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  16:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjimjam

Remind me why a half orc/half elf is any more beastly than a half-elf?
My perception would be because orcs are more beastly than humans. But if you look at the build I gave, I decided that the uber-beauty of the elf half countered the beastliness of the orc half, so they do not have a detriment to CHA. However, I agreed with others that complications of birth could cause the -2 CON.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

RedneckBadgerLord
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  00:59:36  Show Profile  Visit RedneckBadgerLord's Homepage Send RedneckBadgerLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, I had a guy who dared me to write "A History Of Orlfs in Faerun."

Remind me to post that sometime. ;)

Redwall. Drizzt. Kentucky. Enough said.

I was weaned on 2E Baldur's Gate. Learned 3.5E, and can't stand 4E WoF. (Though I try not to mess up canon too badly).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000