Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Tune for the Cormyte's Boast?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  13:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met all,

Has anyone found or come up with a tune that works for the Chorus of the "Cormyte's Boast"? I've asked Ed what, if any, tune he may have had in mind when writing it. No answer yet. If your not familiar with the song, or need a refresher and want to take a stab at tune, here's the words:

quote:
Chorus

And in this land I'll proudly stand
Until my dying day, sir.
For whate'er king o'er all command
I'll still be a Cormyte brave, sir. (Volo's Guide to Cormyr p. 165)

Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  14:25:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that Ed sometimes takes months, if not years, to answer a question. But this is definitely something he'd have an answer to...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  14:44:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Ed's answer schedule doesn't usually follow any particular pattern. Some of us are still waiting for replies to questions we asked back in '04 [like myself for example]. Just be patient -- he'll get to it in time.

Having said that, I'll add that I have actually played around with a tune for the chorus of the "Cormyte's Boast." It's part of a little project of mine that I like to tinker with when I have the time. I like to use the details about a particular song/ballad that's been referenced in the Realmslore and try to set a tune to it. I can often sit at the piano for hours, just waiting for the right sense of inspiration.

So, if you're able to read sheet music, I'll upload a snippet onto one of these file uploading sites and send you the URL.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  15:00:28  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This shan't hold a tallow candle to the Sage's originality, but I always hear Men of Harlech(?), an older, martial Welsh tune that seems to be written in hymnal verse. But that's because I always felt the boast was a refrain offering itself for versification.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  19:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Indeed. Ed's answer schedule doesn't usually follow any particular pattern. Some of us are still waiting for replies to questions we asked back in '04 [like myself for example]. Just be patient -- he'll get to it in time.

I know, it may take some time. I just thought that while I was waiting, I'd ask if someone else had already worked out something.
quote:
Having said that, I'll add that I have actually played around with a tune for the chorus of the "Cormyte's Boast." [...]

So, if you're able to read sheet music, I'll upload a snippet onto one of these file uploading sites and send you the URL.

Unfortunately, I can't read sheet music.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  19:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

This shan't hold a tallow candle to the Sage's originality, but I always hear Men of Harlech(?), an older, martial Welsh tune that seems to be written in hymnal verse. But that's because I always felt the boast was a refrain offering itself for versification.

Interesting. I sort of picture that old boys swelling feel as well. But the phrasing of Men of Harlech doesn't seem to work for the Cormyte's Boast.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  21:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
euh... what is this "Cormyte's Boast" song please ?
Sure that Ed made it to be tuned ?

I love this website ! Every day I learn one more detail that makes FR life almost as real as our ! even sometimes more !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  21:49:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Sure that Ed made it to be tuned ?

I love this website ! Every day I learn one more detail that makes FR life almost as real as our ! even sometimes more !

It's in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, which can be downloaded for free from the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 May 2008 21:55:08
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  02:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

The Cormyte's Boast is a song written by the Master Bard Canthalas, who was a resident of Knightswood in the King's Forest. The song became a kind of nationalistic anthem for Cormyr and is sung in taverns and ale houses around the realm. Here's the whole song as given in Volo's Guide to Cormyr (p. 165):
quote:
The Cormyte's Boast

When Purple Dragons first rode the ways,
Swording every monster seen,
Then did adventurers' mighty plays
Hearten all in this land green.
But now with farmer and merchant both
I hearken more or lasting peace,
And find myself increasing loath
To welcome the weapons charter wreath.

Chorus:
And in this land I'll proudly stand
Until my dying day, sir.
I'll still be a Cormyte brave, sir.
For whate'er king o'er all command

Now Sembian gold it piles up high,
And men show the price of their hides.
But there stand here folk you cannot buy
Whate'er changing fortune's tides.
So let all dandies prance and preen,
Doing anything for coins tossed their way.
Here in this pleasant kingdom green
I'll steadfast unbending stay.
Chorus

Now other lands sing prouder songs,
And their folk come swaggering our way.
But if those lands are so free of wrongs,
Why do their folk from home away?
Oh, many boasts are empty boasts,
And distant shores our hearts recall,
But among all other glittering toasts
There's one that beats 'em all
Chorus

And in Cormyr none shall starve or thirst
For so the fair law demands.
But of all fair folk we are the first
To strike down bad laws and commands.
Some folk may live in layer halls
Or wear cut gems on every toe.
Such folk take greater and grander falls
And so find harder rows to hoe.
Chorus

(Repeat the chorus if the company demands.
Usually the last chorus is sung once and then
again a second time at half speed and twice
the proud, emphatic volume!)

Afet.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 31 May 2008 03:00:54
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  09:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC Volo's guide says, the tune is the one from Yankee Doodle.

I could be wrong, though
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  11:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Wooly and Afet for the explanations.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  14:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still digging through old forum logs to find it, but I'm sure that Ed has identified the song from which the tune is drawn before. If only I had a better head for music (or more sensitive searching), I'd have it, but this way, it might take a while to figure things out.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  15:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalmar Amad

IIRC Volo's guide says, the tune is the one from Yankee Doodle.

I could be wrong, though

Yankee Doodle does seem to me to be the type of popular, tongue in cheek, nationalistic, self-affirming song that Ed had in mind. However, I would be surprised if Ed associated a country in the Realms so directly with a real world counterpart.

In any case, I can't find any reference to Yankee Doodle in MVgtC, and I've tried singing the chorus with that tune and can't get it to work.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  16:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I'm still digging through old forum logs to find it, but I'm sure that Ed has identified the song from which the tune is drawn before. If only I had a better head for music (or more sensitive searching), I'd have it, but this way, it might take a while to figure things out.

Thanks Garen. I've tried searching as well, but I gave up after spending a considerable amount of time, suffering timeouts, and fruitlessly paging through the numerous, unsorted results that the Candlekeep's search gave me.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  16:10:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From the Lady Hooded One, back in Sep. '04:-

"The Cormyte’s Boast is, of course, Ed’s parody of the famous British folksong “The Vicar of Bray” (or “Braye” if one prefers)."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  16:12:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Thanks Garen. I've tried searching as well, but I gave up after spending a considerable amount of time, suffering timeouts, and fruitlessly paging through the numerous, unsorted results that the Candlekeep's search gave me.
Afet
For future reference, when searching for a specific reply from Ed, try searching through the compiled reply files stored on the mainsite of Candlekeep. See the "So Saith Ed" link in my sig for the archived files.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  07:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

From the Lady Hooded One, back in Sep. '04:-
"The Cormyte’s Boast is, of course, Ed’s parody of the famous British folksong “The Vicar of Bray” (or “Braye” if one prefers)."

Thanks Sage. I had never heard of this "famous" folksong. For those who, like me, are unfamiliar with it, here's a link with the lyrics and melody: http://ingeb.org/songs/ingoodki.html

Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000