Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 RIP Robert Lynn Asprin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  04:28:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I wasn't sure where to put this but for the few people, like me, who read his M.Y.T.H series and his other series, thought it might be something people wanted to know about. There are times when I wish we had a general NONFR board. :)

From the SCA mailing list: "I write this with a heavy heart. Today, sometime between 2 pm and 5 pm, Yang the Nauseating [ed: Robert Aspirin's SCA name] passed away.

I spoke to him around 2 pm - to confirm that I was to pick him up at 5 pm and take him to the airport. He was to go to a convention in Ohio this weekend - MarCon. At 2 pm, everything was fine. When I arrived at his house, he wasn't outside, didn't answer his cellphone, didn't answer his landline. Of course, as I was trying to figure out what to do, someone came up behind me and I had to drive around the block. (The French Quarter.) I called him again as I made the block, but still no answer.

I *thought* I had a key to his house, but I wasn't certain I had it with me. I tried to call another one of his close friends (who works in the Quarter), because I knew that he would have a key, but I couldn't get him. So I parked the car and dug through my briefcase and found the key that I thought was for his house. I did get in with the key, but it took some tugging and pushing.

I found Yang lying on his bed, with a book in one hand (a Terry Pratchett book, no less) and his other hand by his side, his glasses just beyond. To all extents and purposes, it looks as though he had decided to take a nap. But I could tell he wasn't breathing and he had no pulse. I called 911.

The paramedics and firemen arrived quickly and were quite nice and very good. They actually worked on him for 30 minutes, which sort of surprised me, because there was no activity on the heart monitor when they hooked him up. It might have been standard protocol. Whatever the case, they tried very hard, but couldn't bring him back.

I have been in touch with his literary agent, who in turn notified his family. Because Yang was also an author, the news is already spreading very quickly. I am very sorry to have to share this news with my SCA family, but I wanted everyone here to hear it from me before you read it on some sfnet board.

Yang was 62 years old, born June 28, 1946. He had no obvious health problems, but he was also notorious for avoiding doctors. To those who knew him "way back when" - Isolda, John the Bearkiller, and many others - he was very pleased with how the SCA has developed since the "bad old days" of freon can helms with women not allowed to fight in the lists.

He would have come and played with us more if he could have.

- Lady Alsinda de Rochabaron"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  05:00:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news indeed.

I used many a pun in my old GH games inspired by him - he will be missed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  05:47:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, no.

Though I've not read the various "MythAdventures" for years, they were always among the books I'd come back to when I needed a good laugh.

He will be missed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  11:29:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what to say other than that I loved the MYTH books and that they were actually among the first fantasy books I had read, early on in my youth as I was just starting to get into the Hobbit, Arthurian legends, and D&D. I can still remember reading one of these books out in the front of my grade school when everyone else was playing games. I just sat under the big tree and read, and wished our recess was longer.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 26 May 2008 11:47:32
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  14:43:51  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another great writer gone to the beyond...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  17:43:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. :( I'm still a bit sad that he has passed. I even picked up two of the three M.Y.T.H books that I'm missing and now there might never be another one. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  18:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is sad news indeed. I, too, have fond memories of some of his books and remembering how I got my first two books by him from a Canadian soldier stationed where I live. He will be missed, indeed.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  22:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know of him, but nevertheless I'm sad to hear of his death.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rollo Ruttikin
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  22:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Rollo Ruttikin's Homepage Send Rollo Ruttikin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems 2008 is turning into a very bleak year for us all.

For Robert Lynn Aspirin I can only quote G.K. Chesterton, the final verse of "The Last Hero."

Know you what earth shall lose to-night, what rich uncounted loans,
What heavy gold of tales untold you bury with my bones?
My loves in deep dim meadows, my ships that rode at ease,
Ruffling the purple plumage of strange and secret seas.
To see this fair earth as it is to me alone was given,
The blow that breaks my brow to-night shall break the dome of heaven.
The skies I saw, the trees I saw after no eyes shall see,
To-night I die the death of God; the stars shall die with me;
One sound shall sunder all the spears and break the trumpet's breath:
You never laughed in all your life as I shall laugh in death.

Rest in Peace.

Rollo
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  23:48:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beleve it or not, I never read ANY of his 'Myth' stuff... but I was hooked on his Xanth novels. As I said, I ran my GH games based on his writing (I think torturing players with bad puns is an excellent way to punish them - much more effective then character death).

I'll have to go up in the attic now and see if I can dig those out.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  03:53:37  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Beleve it or not, I never read ANY of his 'Myth' stuff... but I was hooked on his Xanth novels. As I said, I ran my GH games based on his writing (I think torturing players with bad puns is an excellent way to punish them - much more effective then character death).

I'll have to go up in the attic now and see if I can dig those out.

Robert Asprin-- Myth series, Phule Series, plus more I don't know about likely.

Piers Anthony-- Xanth series, Incarnation of Immortality Series, Mode series, Adept series, plus more

Both pun using humourist Fantasy writers, but different ones. Also Piers is still alive as far as I know and has his web site Hipiers with it's bi-monthly newsletter online.

Just a correction.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 27 May 2008 03:54:29
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  04:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more author who leaves us. Sad news.

I'm shamed but I believe that Robert Lynn Asprin have not been translated into French and I did not know him.
What would be a novel to be read to taste his humoristic style ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  16:16:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

One more author who leaves us. Sad news.

I'm shamed but I believe that Robert Lynn Asprin have not been translated into French and I did not know him.
What would be a novel to be read to taste his humoristic style ?

I've never read any of his other series but as I mentioned a few times in this thread, I enjoy his M.Y.T.H novels. There's about a dozen or so of them now, so I'd say start at the beginning and work your way through them. :)

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  16:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sucks. What is this, Year of the Dying Authors?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  00:08:12  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sucks, I loved thec MYTH books.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000