Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Freeing a dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  04:28:55  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. I have a general idea of what I want to happen in my next few games but I am having trouble nailing down specifics to turn it into a solid adventure. So, I came here hoping to solicit some good ideas I could run with.

Basically, my PCs have found themselves back in Myth Drannor, just before the invasion. Without going into the entire backstory of the adventure, they are basically tasked with setting Garnet, the red dragon, free of her imprisonment. Once free, she flies over the prison of the three demons/devils, which sets off the chain of events, freeing the 3 beasts and bringing forth the army of darkness upon Myth Drannor.

I haven't been able to find much so hence why I am having a creative block at the moment.

I essentially have it set up where most of the citizens of Myth Drannor don't trust having a "good" red dragon in their midst so keep her contained in some sort of way. With the help of the dragon's ally, the party aids in freeing her.

What I need help with is the adventure part of freeing her. Would she be kept in the bowels of Myth Drannor? Would she be kept in her allies' residence and contained with a spell? Once the party starts to free her, would they meet resistance from the elven militia of Myth Drannor? I apologize for not being very versed on the history of Myth Drannor. It is why I have come here seeking aid.

Thanks in advance for any help.

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  04:46:41  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A portion of the novel Death of the Dragon, describes something vaguely similar, with regards to a dragon being released and battles fought as a result.
Go to Top of Page

Arstella
Acolyte

China
2 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  10:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Arstella's Homepage Send Arstella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this should depend on how far you wish to step away from the acknowledged history. Two accessory books partly relating to this topic, Cormanthyr and Fall of Myth Drannor, can be dowloaded freely at WotC website.

As I can see, there's a historical issue that might rise to your story - the mythal of Myth Drannor would prevent any chromatic dragon from entering its coverage, unless the Coronal said otherwise. In fact, it was ackowledged that the good red dragon was indeed accepted by the Coronal and other citizens, with the assurance of his master, Saeval Ammath the archmage. (Well, Garnet was a 'he', at least as historians say.)

Of course, you can simply throw this whole thing out of your story. But another question is, why would the elves bother to keep a dragon captive if they could execute him for good? Or if it wasn't the authority, then who did it and why?

As for how to imprison a dragon (or most anything), I'd recommand the binding spell. It works well enough for plots.

Amin harmuva onalle e' cormamin
Amin khiluva lle a' gurtha ar' thar
Amin naa lle nai, a'maelamin
Cormamin niuve tenna' ta elea lle au'

Edited by - Arstella on 22 May 2008 10:33:42
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  15:18:53  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Arstella
Of course, you can simply throw this whole thing out of your story. But another question is, why would the elves bother to keep a dragon captive if they could execute him for good? Or if it wasn't the authority, then who did it and why?

Well, one could do the classic trial deal.
The Coronal could be a-ok with the dragon and many others could be for it as well but there could be an anti-dragon faction who could have framed the dragon for some sort of acts in it's past.
During the trial it could come to light for the PCs that the trial is a set up, perhaps it's a tribunal and one of the members is part of the anti-dragon faction and one of the other members could be kidnapped and replaced. The PCs could then either try to expose the subterfuge or try to rescue the dragon directly.

Really rough right there, but I think you can get my point.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  16:27:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:
Arstella

The Coronal could be a-ok with the dragon and many others could be for it as well but there could be an anti-dragon faction who could have framed the dragon for some sort of acts in it's past.

That'd be a neat trick, considering the dragon was born and raised in Cormanthyr, and was accepted by the Coronal soon after his existence was revealed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  17:30:46  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know the dragon was born and raised in Cormanthyr. That is definitely an interesting twist. Hmmm....perhaps I could have the PCs taken via time travel to rescue the dragon shortly after it hatches and is kidnapped. Once they recover the dragon and return it to its master, Saeval Ammath the archmage, they fulfill the condition of their quest, and as they are being "fast forwarded" in time, they can see the dragon grow and eventually watch it fly over the prison where the demons/devils are released. Very interesting indeed.

Anyone with more knowledge than I of the history of the FR have any suggestions of a BBEG from that time period, the party could fight to rescue the baby dragon? I have a party of 7 PCs ranging from 11-14 levels.

Edited by - coastiemike on 22 May 2008 17:33:47
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  19:28:45  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That'd be a neat trick, considering the dragon was born and raised in Cormanthyr, and was accepted by the Coronal soon after his existence was revealed.

So I haven't read the history in ages.

Regardless, the framing idea is still valid, especially if the dragon were to be compelled (yeah, there's the whole "archmage for a friend" problem but one can work around it)

Heck, one could go with a story along these lines;
Archmage friend of dragon is secretly kidnapped and replaced.
Dragon finds out and freaks out, attacking the imposter and creating some collateral damage.
Dragon is captured and held.
Archmage imposter, "crushed and dispirited by his failed experiment" recommends the dragon be destroyed.
Coronal smells something fishy but doesn't know what's going on.
Public opinion drives the authorities to holding a trial to decide the fate of the dragon.

I mean, it's not totally solid but I don't think it flies in the face of too much lore.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  08:50:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I mean, it's not totally solid but I don't think it flies in the face of too much lore.

Sometimes it might actually be better to simply disregard the lore altogether to be able to design and play the adventure/plot that you like best for your campaign. After all, it is your game!

Now, if you are particularly fond of lore from that time, here is the link to the WotC dwonload page where you will find the sourcebooks already mentioned by Astrella.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  09:02:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There could be anpother trick though too - storming the hill from the other side, so to speak.

The lore states that in order to free the demons from their prison the dragon has to fly over the throne of Myth Drannor. Now, what if the throne was somehow protected against such dragonly overflights like e.g. Waterdeep is protected...?

Just wanted to through this idea out there to ponder about...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 23 May 2008 09:05:33
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  16:19:22  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch
Sometimes it might actually be better to simply disregard the lore altogether to be able to design and play the adventure/plot that you like best for your campaign. After all, it is your game!

Oh no doubt. I toss out lore that I don't like in my realms all the time, when trying to help people out with their games I like to stick as close to lore as I can.

And I've downloaded everything WotC has offered, but I certainly appreciate the thought. I just haven't read those sorces in ages because my game's in Turmish.
Go to Top of Page

QueenofShadows
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  04:27:28  Show Profile  Visit QueenofShadows's Homepage Send QueenofShadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on the year you are using, in the Cormanthor book, the Lady Starym, turns into a blood dragon and attacks the Cornal. You could use the Starym family as a good back up, since the Starym's good name isn't really re-istablished until Josidiah Starym returns from his quest.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000