Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Shield of Weeping Ghosts: Prologue & Chap. 1-5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  10:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Shield of Weeping Ghosts (Book 3 of The Citadels), by James P. Davis. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 5 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  01:39:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an original way to start an attack on a fortress....very unusual.

All I can say for now is whoever put those chains on those children.....I already loathe them!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  04:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The writing in this book is very well done, everything, the descriptions, the dialog.

The prologue was confusing at first, I had to read it twice to visualize what was going on (I was on a noisy plane...) But, once I got my bearings I was hooked.

I like that the characters are older and vetted, very different feeling from many novels which focus on young adventurers. The relationship between old friends Bastun, Duras and Thaena is great.

It is also pleasure to see Nar barbarians in the book, as well as the Durthan. Best of all, it is pre-spell plague.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  07:03:19  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you guys like it so far, there should be more info regarding those chains, the children, and a real evil mastermind (should be a familiar name for those who read Bloodwalk) coming soon on the Wizards site, the title of which is "Seven They Were" (why am I so mean to little kids?)

I'll post the link as soon as it's available.

Cheers!
--James
who will also be soon posting the Shield of Weeping Ghosts song-list should anyone be interested in giving it a listen.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  23:56:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

Glad you guys like it so far, there should be more info regarding those chains, the children, and a real evil mastermind (should be a familiar name for those who read Bloodwalk) coming soon on the Wizards site, the title of which is "Seven They Were" (why am I so mean to little kids?)

I'll post the link as soon as it's available.

Cheers!
--James
who will also be soon posting the Shield of Weeping Ghosts song-list should anyone be interested in giving it a listen.

Sweet!! Can't wait to check it out, Love free extras!
Also loved seeing the exile bail out the crew who think they are to good to be on the same boat as him!

P.S. Cool to hear about a Bloodwalk tie....I think I will try not to think to hard on it and be surprised.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 May 2008 23:58:30
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2008 :  04:50:33  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really liking the story thus far. I like how Bastun's reason for exhile is slowly being revealed.

I agree the chains on the children are monstrous. Well done indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  01:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started this book on a whim and so far, I like it.

Bastun seems pretty likeable for a tragic protagonist figure. I hope he remains likeable as the story progresses.

One thing that I'm really enjoying (albeit in an incredibly nerdy kind of way) is how expressions are described around the masks Bastun and Thaena are wearing. It's interesting.

I like this look at Rashemi society so far as well.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  12:02:07  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

One thing that I'm really enjoying (albeit in an incredibly nerdy kind of way) is how expressions are described around the masks Bastun and Thaena are wearing. It's interesting.

To be sure that one detail alone made for some interesting editing in the second draft. I went hunting for facial expressions and making sure that the masks didn't get in the way of descriptions I'd used.

(I hope I got them all. Be sure to scold me soundly if I did not. )

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  01:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These first 5 chapters definately got me hooked. A Durthan being allied with the characters is an interesting circumstance. I'm getting a really good feeling for this novel, and can't wait to learn even more of the Shield.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  05:58:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book is one of the best I've read so far. The characterization is simply well done. The description of the setting is meticulously rendered and truly vivid. Bastun is now one of my favorite characters, as well as Anilya, a durthan who is in "shades of gray."

Great job, James. I hope to see more of your novels soon... You deserve the limelight.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  15:46:23  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am captivated more in the first five chapters by Bastun and how he came about in the situation of being exiled. Another subject that is catching my attention is the shield. Is the shield holding something or trying to keep something out? I also want to know the backstory between Bastun, Duras, and Thaena. Hopefully all the answers I have now get answered in the next chapters. Also, I became angry reading the prologue with the kids chained up. The beginning chapters are very good and are making The Shadow of Weeping Ghost very addictive thus far.

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  19:54:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, you'll get your answers on the later chapters. And you will be surprised when you do, especially the answer to your first question.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000