Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Interview and preview of 4th ed.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  11:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

I came across this interview by G4tv's Casey Schreiner (The MMO Report). It is about 11 minutes long but may be of interest to fellow scribes. While my vote is still out regarding the rule-set, the virtual tabletop and web tools look promising (and possibly not ruleset specific).

http://www.g4tv.com/mmoreport/videos/21318/The_MMO_Report_4th_Edition_DD_Special.html

(if there exists a more appropriate thread to link this with regarding 4th ed. discussions, please pardon my haste in posting here).

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  13:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me D&D has always been and will always be with friends around the table. Not a thing can replace that.

That being said, the option to play online is nice, but it seems that they put way more focus on that (including DDI) than on the tabletop stuff...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ithil
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  02:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Ithil's Homepage Send Ithil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mace. I'm looking forward to trying 4th at an actual table. I wish there was planned an option in the DDi subscription to omit their Online Gaming Table and Character Creation.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  04:44:54  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah... the bliss of DMing a group who *wants* to stay in 3.5...
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  07:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do agree that nothing beats a table-top face to face session. But since my old gaming group (myself included) has scattered to the four corners of the world, that has proven difficult. We had some short term success with NWN for a while...but ultimately it fell through.

If the new online system can used as an 'easy' supplement for us, then that would be great as I have not been able to find gamers in my area (the one game shop they used to have here closed down a few years back).

If the virtual interface proves to be non-ruleset specific...then all the better cause we can stick to using older edition rules as most of us have those books without the need to spend a forutne each in buying new supplements.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  08:16:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously guys, MMOs as such are fun and fine but pen&paper games should remain exactly that - pen and paper!

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  16:52:20  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How's the 3.p playtesting going PDK?
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  03:18:06  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr

How's the 3.p playtesting going PDK?

3.p?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  07:21:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  19:27:15  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah... yes. Skimmed the Alpha rules, and decided it wasn't for us. We make heavy use of complex builds in my campaign, with a lot of PrCs, and as I explained in another thread, a simple build reaps Epic rewards faster (i.e. when PCs get to levels 21+). Many of my players are catching up to this reality, and if I boost the "classic Core classes" further, those who took the complex builds will suffer unjustly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000