Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Bastion Press sale at Paizo.com
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  13:42:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just found out that Bastion Press is having a sale to clear out their stock. Paizo is cooperating by putting their stuff on clearance.

I can't speak for the quality of all Bastion Press stuff, as all I have is Faeries. I can say, however, that Faeries is a really good product, and it's one I'm quite happy with -- to the point that it was one of the first things I replaced, after the fire. Other Bastion Press stuff I've eyeballed has gotten good reviews. And with them pricing stuff at $7 and $4, you can afford to take a chance on a book or two.

Here's the link to the sale:
http://paizo.com/store/sale/bastionPressSale&page=0

I'm going to sticky this for a week or two, just to make sure people have a chance to see it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  21:40:43  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered Faeries yesterday. Any more you can suggest from Bastion?

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 01 Mar 2008 21:41:34
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  22:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just found out that Bastion Press is having a sale to clear out their stock. Paizo is cooperating by putting their stuff on clearance.

I can't speak for the quality of all Bastion Press stuff, as all I have is Faeries. I can say, however, that Faeries is a really good product, and it's one I'm quite happy with -- to the point that it was one of the first things I replaced, after the fire. Other Bastion Press stuff I've eyeballed has gotten good reviews. And with them pricing stuff at $7 and $4, you can afford to take a chance on a book or two.

Here's the link to the sale:
http://paizo.com/store/sale/bastionPressSale&page=0

I'm going to sticky this for a week or two, just to make sure people have a chance to see it.

You don't have Alchemy & Herbalism? But I sneakily wrote that so it fits perfectly into the Realms (at least feel-wise, and it's vague enough that you can slot it into various and sundry places....and no I can't remember where I'd originally felt they went, as it's been 9 years since I wrote it).

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  22:47:53  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you're a Pathfinder fan, James Jacobs wrote Villains.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  00:16:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend any scribe with an interest in faeries, to consider purchasing this tome.. It's a great resource. It was this bit from Steven himself [way back], that initially sold me on the concept and the book:-

"For those interested in another take/option on Faerie, there is a D20 option from Bastion Press y'all might want to take a look at.....

Bryon Wischstadt, long-time Realms fanatic and all-around good guy, wrote this guide to Faerie (both the realm/plane and inhabitants) and yours truly edited it alongside him. As both of us (and Jim Butler, Bastion's president, CEO, and chief cook and bottle washer) all have a deep and abiding love for the Realms, there's nothing in there that wouldn't work in terms of using Faerie as a source for ancient elves (or other more modern threats). It's a mix of old folklore and modern conceptions of Faerie and even stats up Old Man Winter, Father Time, and Father Christmas if you want such.

Steven
Who apologizes profusely for plugging a product but it seems relevant to the discussion at hand"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Mar 2008 00:19:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  00:21:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

You don't have Alchemy & Herbalism? But I sneakily wrote that so it fits perfectly into the Realms (at least feel-wise, and it's vague enough that you can slot it into various and sundry places....and no I can't remember where I'd originally felt they went, as it's been 9 years since I wrote it).

SES

You wrote that one too? Neat. Is there anything you can share with us about its production, or the writing itself?

I think the latest issue of White Dwarf can wait. I've got something else to buy.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Mar 2008 00:22:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  04:10:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did spring for a couple of them, but I can't say that the Alchemy one caught my eye. It's just not a subject that grabs me. Sorry!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  16:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did spring for a couple of them, but I can't say that the Alchemy one caught my eye. It's just not a subject that grabs me. Sorry!

Well, when you want a Swamp Thing in your Realms, don't say you never had the chance to find the rules on how to slowly morph a PC from animal template to vegetable...

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  16:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

SES

You wrote that one too? Neat. Is there anything you can share with us about its production, or the writing itself?

I think the latest issue of White Dwarf can wait. I've got something else to buy.

Not much to say about the production, as that was the same as nearly anything I'd ever worked on. HOwever, it being one of the first projects I worked on outside of WotC, it was surprising how much the references (botanical, herbology, etc.) cost me out of my payment for the project.

I put a lot of work into the herbal catalog, making sure that it'd be useful both for mages and esoteric uses but also have mundane uses as well...so that book is helpful for NPC shamans or tradesmen making poultices or for PCs looking for poison remedies in the woods....

As for the herbal school and the alchemical school, they're written to fit into the feel of the Realms well (I think), and would not be out of place anywhere this side of Thay or Sembia (i.e. put them into the "blanks" on the maps or relatively close to civlized areas like Waterdeep (though Silverymoon might work even better) or the western reaches of Cormyr or nearly anywhere in Tethyr or Amn).

SES

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  16:33:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, when you want a Swamp Thing in your Realms, don't say you never had the chance to find the rules on how to slowly morph a PC from animal template to vegetable...

SES

Okay, you've sold me. I'm making the order now.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  23:24:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SES

The Swamp Thing you say... Oooh! This is simply too good an opportunity to miss. I think I'll head to the gaming store today.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  23:27:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the herbal school and the alchemical school, they're written to fit into the feel of the Realms well (I think), and would not be out of place anywhere this side of Thay or Sembia (i.e. put them into the "blanks" on the maps or relatively close to civlized areas like Waterdeep (though Silverymoon might work even better) or the western reaches of Cormyr or nearly anywhere in Tethyr or Amn).
I was actually thinking somewhere near the Arnaden region.

Though the Dalelands could work too, as an intriguing possibility for placement of an herbal and/or alchemical school.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Mar 2008 23:28:40
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  10:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage won't let me borrow his copy of "Faeries," so I guess this is as good a time as any to purchase my own copy. I might take a look at "Alchemy and Herbalism" too.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  13:16:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's because you're a fan of the "Dog Ear" philosophy while reading my books. I hate that!

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  15:52:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Alchemy and Herbalism probably have something to help me with some ideas that I pretend to use with my new character...

And, of course, if I develop it, I will share with everyone here in the Keep.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  16:00:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's because you're a fan of the "Dog Ear" philosophy while reading my books. I hate that!

I wouldn't let anyone touch my books either if they did that. Hells, I've had friends who did that to my books and then I told them they can keep it but they owe me the price of the book so I can go buy a fresh copy. :) After that, people stopped asking me to burrow my books except for the few that respect my property and who follow the, you ruin my book, you owe me for it, philosophy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  17:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dog ears can't be worse than putting a crease into the book's spine, though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  17:44:18  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have quite a few books from bastion press and can recommend:

Into the Green (touches on forests and swamps)

Guildcraft (Really neat ideads on how to incorperate guilds and PCs wich workable game mechanics. I really like this book)

Alchemy & Herbalism (I bought it becasue it had Stevens name on it and took a chance. I really like the alchemical items and depth of lore and detail)

Faries (mentioned several timesin this post, must have IMO)

Pale Designs (Good resource on posions, poison makers, and folks who use them)

And last, my favorite Spells and Magic.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  00:13:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

I wouldn't let anyone touch my books either if they did that. Hells, I've had friends who did that to my books and then I told them they can keep it but they owe me the price of the book so I can go buy a fresh copy. :) After that, people stopped asking me to burrow my books except for the few that respect my property and who follow the, you ruin my book, you owe me for it, philosophy.
That's a decent enough approach. Though, the fact that we're living together makes it somewhat difficult to employ.

Hmmm... maybe the solution is having "His" and "Her" libraries perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  23:17:15  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already have Alchemy & Herbalists, although to my shame I didn't realise that Steven had written it. I would like to recommend to the folks here Torn Asunder Critical hits, for those people who want to have a bit more gritty experience to their D&D. Some interesting lotions and potions metioned in this one as well.

Paul

Apologies, didn't realise Torn Asunder is not in the sale at Paizo

Edited by - PaulBestwick on 04 Mar 2008 23:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  23:29:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wound up ordering a total of 6 books.

Airships - that one was, ironically, one I'd just heard of a day or two before this sale started. I was looking to buy a used copy on eBay, and then the chance to get a new one for cheap came along.
I love the idea of flying ships, and I decided to get this to see what could be mined for Spelljammer.

Alchemy & Herbalists - Steven sold me on this one.

Doom Striders - I love automatons, and I've come up with a couple different ideas for new ones. That I would get this book was a given, as soon as I saw the sale.

Out For Blood - I've already got a third party book on vampires, but vampires are really fun nastybads. At $7, another book on them couldn't hurt.

Spells & Magic - Who doesn't love more magical goodies? As a sidenote, I'm still disappointed that no 3.x adaptation of wild mages really captures the feel and fun of that 2E class. I've no idea if this book even tries, but if it does, bonus!

Villains - Only $4 for a book of bad guys? I'll take a chance on that one.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  00:12:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Airships - that one was, ironically, one I'd just heard of a day or two before this sale started. I was looking to buy a used copy on eBay, and then the chance to get a new one for cheap came along.
I always wanted to pick up a copy of this one... but I ended up going with Aether & Flux instead. Having seen it specifically advertised on EN World as part of the sale though, I'm inclined to pick it up myself now.
quote:
I love the idea of flying ships, and I decided to get this to see what could be mined for Spelljammer.
Which is exactly why I originally went with Aether & Flux instead -- since it was especially designed with the concept of SPELLJAMMER in mind.
quote:
Alchemy & Herbalists - Steven sold me on this one.
Indeed. I've long been a fan of alchemy in my campaigns. I'm interested to see what use I can gain from this particular source.
quote:
Doom Striders - I love automatons, and I've come up with a couple different ideas for new ones. That I would get this book was a given, as soon as I saw the sale.
Ah, one of my favorites. I love this book! Especially the section on energy sources for the Striders. It's an intriguing spin on an old idea -- and provided plenty of inspiration for my own ideas on mecha/automatons across various settings [even BattleTech ].
quote:
Out For Blood - I've already got a third party book on vampires, but vampires are really fun nastybads. At $7, another book on them couldn't hurt.
I might take a look. The Lady K's always keeping an eye out for good vampire books.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Mar 2008 00:14:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  05:15:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which is exactly why I originally went with Aether & Flux instead -- since it was especially designed with the concept of SPELLJAMMER in mind.

Naever heard of that one. But I just Bought It Now on eBay, for $5.

ENWorld is having a pdf sale, too. I just bought a dozen pdfs for a dollar apiece.
http://enworld.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_31809_0&sort=xa&filter_id=87

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Mar 2008 05:25:01
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  05:31:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Naever heard of that one. But I just Bought It Now on eBay, for $5.
Ah, good.

Let me know what you thought of it, once you've had a chance to read through some of it. I've rarely had any opportunity to discuss its content with anyone online -- apparently, a lot of people have never heard of Aether & Flux.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Mar 2008 05:32:35
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  16:26:37  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
ENWorld is having a pdf sale, too. I just bought a dozen pdfs for a dollar apiece.
http://enworld.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_31809_0&sort=xa&filter_id=87

You shouldn't have mentioned the enworld-sale! I could just resist the bastion press sale, but 1$ for a pdf is simply too cheap to ignore!

I bought 8 books that fit somehow or another in my coming spelljammer campaign and will add detail to an asteroid city as well as a new crystal sphere...

Crystalmancy: The Powers of Gems
E.N. Guilds - Banking Guild
Steam & Steel: A Guide to Fantasy Steamworks
E.N. Critters - Ruins of the Pale Jungle
Mechamancy: The Clockwork Magic
Mechamancy II: Living Machines
Powers that Be: City Council
Powers that Be: Councilor Remorga

If anyone is interested, I write a short review after reading them properly. Which will take a few months, given my workload and ever-growing "to read"-pile'o books.

Question is: Where on Candlekeep can reviews of 3rd-party book be posted?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  16:50:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

Question is: Where on Candlekeep can reviews of 3rd-party book be posted?

We prolly should dedicate a section to third party supplements that can be used in the Realms...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  23:37:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I bought 8 books that fit somehow or another in my coming spelljammer campaign and will add detail to an asteroid city as well as a new crystal sphere...

If anyone is interested, I write a short review after reading them properly. Which will take a few months, given my workload and ever-growing "to read"-pile'o books.
I love steamwork/clockwork-themed material, so I wouldn't mind eventually hearing your thoughts on the Mechamancy books. Don't worry too much about Steam & Steel, as I already have a copy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  23:46:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I love steamwork/clockwork-themed material, so I wouldn't mind eventually hearing your thoughts on the Mechamancy books. Don't worry too much about Steam & Steel, as I already have a copy.

I also picked up the Mechamancy books, as well as Crystalmancy and Steam & Steel.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  00:06:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, well... if you read through them first, I wouldn't mind hearing what you thought.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  21:14:35  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...seems like great minds think alike!

@ Sage:
How do you like Steam & Steel?

I plan to use these "mechanocentered" books together with a selfmade world and a moonlet that Adam "Night Druid" Miller from the SJ list created in 2004: Clockwork.
Here's the link:
http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0407C&L=SPELLJAMMER-L&P=R2

@ Sage & Wooly:
I haven't had the chance yet to do more than a very quickly scan over the documents, so whoever is first: please post your review!
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  21:49:47  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ordered the following

Faeries
Into the Green
Into the Black
Friends and Familiars

All look interesting, for those that have Into the Green, would it be useful in supplying ideas than could be used with Rawlinswood and the Forest of Lethyr.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000