Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Artifacts of Note: Information about them.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  07:30:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I thought it would be a good idea to talk about a couple of artifacts I don't know but a little about:

Larloch's Death Moon Orb and Thakorsil's Seat.

What was the timeline for Szass Tam losing these in the adventure Runes of Chaos?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  08:27:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the timeline, but you do know that both these artefacts are heavily detailed in Volos Guide to All things Magical (free download from Wizards page)? If you are looking for more details that is.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  09:38:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Death Moon Orb" is Netherese, created by Larloch. "Thakorsil's Seat" is from the ancient kingdom of Yhalvia, which is possibly of extraplanar [Abyssal?] origin.

They served as plot devices that made it possible for Szass Tam to use the epic spell/magic event known as the 'Ritual of Twin Burnings,' which he intended to use to bind Eltab permanently into his service.

They originally appeared in the Spellbound boxed set. You can find the AD&D stats [along with further Realmslore] for them in the Villains' Lorebook and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, which are both available as free PDF downloads at WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  11:32:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I thought it would be a good idea to talk about a couple of artifacts I don't know but a little about:

What was the timeline for Szass Tam losing these in the adventure Runes of Chaos?

Timeline? Losing? I don't quite understand the question...

If I am not mistaken the adventure hooks presented in Spellbound pick up where the timeline of said sourcebook ends: 1368 DR - the (back than) Present.

So depending on any DMs wishes when he might play the adventure Szass Tam is 'losing the artifacts'....

However, as fas as I know the adventure's outcome is not canon lore (and as such never actually happend). Otherwise the events in the novel The Crimson Gold would make little sense to me.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 24 Apr 2008 11:33:50
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  11:47:22  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Timeline? Losing? I don't quite understand the question...

If I am not mistaken the adventure hooks presented in Spellbound pick up where the timeline of said sourcebook ends: 1368 DR - the (back than) Present.

So depending on any DMs wishes when he might play the adventure Szass Tam is 'losing the artifacts'....

However, as fas as I know the adventure's outcome is not canon lore (and as such never actually happend). Otherwise the events in the novel The Crimson Gold would make little sense to me.

Another hint as to why the adventure's outcome most likely cannot be considered canon lore is that the Villian's lorebook names Szass Tam still as the owner of the items, even though that book was published 3 years later than Spellbound (which was published in 1995).

In any case, if he lost the items due to the adventure's course this must have taken place later than the WotC timline advancement in 1998.

Can anyone follow my reasoning at all....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  15:43:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Grand History places the events that uses those two items as taking place in 1367. I'd go with that entry atm since it's the newest sourcebook. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:54:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kuje,

I must have missed that. I have the original boxed set and the adventure that features these two artifacts...but I wasn't sure what the "official" timeline for Tam losing them was. I know in Volo's Guide to all things magical it mentions that the items are lost (the seat being buried and the Orb being "lost"...); but I wasn't sure exactly what the official result/end was for these items.

1367 sounds good though...especially since it says so in the GHotR! LOL

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  21:28:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. :) Yeah. I believe Larloch took one of them back, the seat I believe it was.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  20:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per the Undead novel, Szass Tam still had Thakorsil's seat and the death moon orb. **SPOILER BELOW**

Of course, when magic went awry during the Undead novel, per Mystra's death at Cyric's hands, the death moon orb shattered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000