Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Halruaa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  15:31:37  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Happy Easter for those who celebrated it. Halruaa is a nation of mages, they are quite possibly more powerful than Thay, especially nowadays. I think Halruaa is overdue for a new series or at least some info as to what has gone on there over the last 150 years. With their ancestors from Netheril returning (Shade), Mystra dead, and the Spellplague, what has happened to this country?

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  15:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Errrm, Halruaa is getting nuked in post-sellplague FR.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  15:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed (what a shame, isn't it?). Apparently, Halruaan survivors start their own airship-based mercenary bands.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Mar 2008 15:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  17:04:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are from the previews we've already gotten:

quote:
The nation of Halruaa, however, would suffer horribly that ill-fated night. The three great mountain ranges that oft protected the nation from external invasion actually made it difficult for many Halruaans to escape the uncontrolled wild magic unleashed across the countryside. Halruaa today is best known as a magical wasteland; it is also the birthplace of the roving mercenary bands known as the Five Companies.

quote:
What was once called Halruaa detonated and was destroyed when every inscribed and prepared spell in the nation went off simultaneously. This explosion was partly to blame for destroying the land bridge between Chult and the Shining South—only a scattered archipelago remains.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Mar 2008 17:05:19
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  17:43:12  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
The nation of Halruaa, however, would suffer horribly that ill-fated night. The three great mountain ranges that oft protected the nation from external invasion actually made it difficult for many Halruaans to escape the uncontrolled wild magic unleashed across the countryside. Halruaa today is best known as a magical wasteland; it is also the birthplace of the roving mercenary bands known as the Five Companies.

quote:
What was once called Halruaa detonated and was destroyed when every inscribed and prepared spell in the nation went off simultaneously. This explosion was partly to blame for destroying the land bridge between Chult and the Shining South—only a scattered archipelago remains.

To paraphrase WotC...Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. snap. DING.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  18:01:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that there are at least five very large, well known passes, not to mention the entire country has an airship fleet and a large sea-born navy, and has more mages capable of casting teleport spells then any other country in the world....

Why, exactly were they trapped and powerless?

Oh... thats right... someone in charge decided Halruaa wasn't very interesting.

Anyhow, I've been mapping the Chultan Penninsula, and Halruaa's next - it should be up later today. The others are at my DeviantArt site.

Please read all notes - some locations are not canon. Chult was lacking in detail much more then most regions, and I took a few more 'liberties' then I normally would by naming a few terrain features.

And as usual, those three completed maps can be moved to the map room here (Nimbral, Chult, and Samarach).

When I post the Halruaa one (and the newest revision of the Hordelands), I will start my own thread about 'map making'. I get asked questions at least once a week here and at WotC, so I figure I'd compile everything into a 'How To' for those of you that have been asking.

Remember, my maps are mostly just re-worked versions of the original posted at the WotC site, and I make no claims on anything contained within them - that includes all textures and symbols, as well as the Intellectual Properties associated with the setting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  18:17:20  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the info Wooly..

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  04:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Anyhow, I've been mapping the Chultan Penninsula, and Halruaa's next - it should be up later today. The others are at my DeviantArt site.

Please read all notes - some locations are not canon. Chult was lacking in detail much more then most regions, and I took a few more 'liberties' then I normally would by naming a few terrain features.

I know that's not the topic of this thread but within your Chult map, you did not put Port Castiglar at the same place that the other FR maps do.
Was it willfully done ?
quote:

When I post the Halruaa one (and the newest revision of the Hordelands), I will start my own thread about 'map making'. I get asked questions at least once a week here and at WotC, so I figure I'd compile everything into a 'How To' for those of you that have been asking.

I'm waiting this thread. You made such a great work about it.
I'd then also like to know what are the un-canon (non-canon how should I say ?) locations within these maps. But we'll deal abou tthat in the latter thread.

Thanks for that

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  11:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well obviously when I do start a Halruaan campaign it will be Pre-Spellplague (why would I let all these fabulous sourcebooks go to waste)....frick WotC

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  13:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Well obviously when I do start a Halruaan campaign it will be Pre-Spellplague (why would I let all these fabulous sourcebooks go to waste)....frick WotC

I didn't wanna do that... the pre-Spellplague(mainly cuz I will ignore it should I ever reach 1385 DR in any game) and the frickin' part...not many attractive designers there

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  19:02:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I know that's not the topic of this thread but within your Chult map, you did not put Port Castiglar at the same place that the other FR maps do.
Was it willfully done ?
Yes... according to the text in The Jungles of Chult, Castilgar is "nestled in a little-visited part of Refuge Bay". On the 2e Map of Chult that piece of land may have been part of Refuge Bay, but on the very fringe and in a well-used trade lane (with Mezro just south of it). Since it is a supply depot, that location made little to no sense given how close the city of Mezro is to it.

On the newer maps, the location made even less sense, since now that piece of land is no longer even within the confines of Refuge Bay. What I did was place it in an out-of-the-way spot that was both within Refuge Bay and about halfway between the two Chultan cities (which makes more sense for a supply depot). If that causes any problems for you, you can always say that the family was forced to move their little operation for whatever reason, or if you have already used it, you could say the son (Inyanga) has setup a second depot in order to expand the family business.

In cases where text disagrees with maps, I ALWAYS defer to text for my placements - TSR/WotC staff cartographers are far from infallible. I also made a lot of corrections to the Thindol and Lapaliya region, because many of the map symbols used on the SK maps were incorrect. When I do my 2e/3e 'blends', I always go back and read the original sourcebook, and then if there is a newer one that covers the region, I try to find some compromise between the two.

I also try to refer to any novels that may have taken place in or around a region, and of course any adventure modules as well.

And, last but not least, I check the FR FAQ located here at CK, which has a lot of map errata and has helped a great deal with my own city placemets (Ulgarth being a prime example of that).

I was saving all of that for my 'Map Thread', but I suppose it doesn't hurt posting that here.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  19:58:01  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a true shame. I always liked Halruaa and Elain Cunningham's novels were great. I always thought of Halruaa as a more powerful Thay only less evil. I also would have liked to see some interaction (or perhaps conflict??) between Shade and Halruaa. I can see them fighting as to who best preserved Netheril and over claims to Netherese artifacts.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  20:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Thats a true shame. I always liked Halruaa and Elain Cunningham's novels were great. I always thought of Halruaa as a more powerful Thay only less evil. I also would have liked to see some interaction (or perhaps conflict??) between Shade and Halruaa. I can see them fighting as to who best preserved Netheril and over claims to Netherese artifacts.

Well, a shade does show up in Halruaa in one of Elaine's short stories (it's in Realms of Shadows and Best of the Realms: Stories of Elaine Cunningham).

The City of Shade does, in general, seem more interested in lands that are closer in proximity to it though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  21:50:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Considering that the founders of Halruaa were basically those that saw the mistakes of Netheril, I'm doubting they went to any lengths at all to preserve anything related to Netheril. And any artifacts they may have had were likely either used up or hidden away.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  22:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And those blew up with the nation... provided you follow the nonsense WotC does these days

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  23:20:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I forgot... to answer your other question:

Below each map are the "Artist's Comments", and that is where I note what changes I have made from canon.

I have just posted the Tashalar/Serpentes map for those who are interested, and also aded a partial mapkey showing just the symbols of mine that differ from the official ones.

I'll try to have Halruaa up later, but there's still a lot I need to add. BTW, I've been doing all these 'mini-maps' to fit perfectly on a standard piece of 8˝ x 11 paper.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Mar 2008 23:21:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  23:48:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering that the founders of Halruaa were basically those that saw the mistakes of Netheril, I'm doubting they went to any lengths at all to preserve anything related to Netheril. And any artifacts they may have had were likely either used up or hidden away.
Well, we know that the earlier Netherese Skyship designs are probably what became the basis for the Halruaan-developed Skyship which is in use throughout the Realms today -- based largely on previous research and design techniques established by the Netherese.

So I'd assume the Halruaans kept a little of what they thought was practical among the scraps of salvaged Netherese knowledge and collected artifacts. Perhaps even going to greater lengths to expand their understanding of potentially volatile research and/or artifacts in the hopes that they could avoid the problems the Netherese themselves sometimes encountered.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  16:30:24  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay: let me know when you have your "how to" page up. I'd really like to read it.

You know, before I heard this about Halruaa, I didn't really have any problems with 4e. But now I just feel like all the stuff I read about Halruaa trying to be a "better" Netheril and all the wars they fought, invasions staved off...It just seems like I wasted my time. I'm beginning to think they are changing things too much. I always wanted to see a Halruaa vs. Thay novel or adventure. Think of the mage-duels...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  17:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're only beginning to feel like they are changing things too much? I don't know if I envy you, or feel sorry for you (and yes, I mean that in a goodnatured manner).

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  18:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every time I ponder the entire affair...again... I wonder what kind of stuff the designers were inhalin' when they came up with the changes.

"Pretty colors...coool stuff, dude"

Guys stay away from paint thinner!!!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  21:39:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Halruaa being 'uncool', and Dryads being psycho-tree people...

Makes me wonder.

Looking at some of the changes (mostly the Dryads), I think some of them maybe were looking over at the warhammer miniatures games a bit too wistfully at the last con....

Do remember, D&D miniatures competes with Warhammer, and the designers have stated their goal of merging the miniatures game better with the D&D rules.

That means its more important to look 'cool' as a mini on a tabletop, then looking atractive in a book (as the Dryads used to).

How could they possibly justify including a 'pretty girl' in the miniatures box? That is why EVERYTHING in the 4th edition has to be 'dark and gritty'.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Mar 2008 21:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  21:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DDM competes with Warhammer? I dunno. Warhammer is, if I interpret stuff correctly, about mass battles, armies clashing and shite. Skirmishes are Mordheim stuff in the Warhammer universe. I've yet to see army boxes for DDM.

I would've loved to see that with the old DDMs, but the new ones are way too bright.

A dwarven phalanx of say 20-30 dwarves in one box. Not the guard of mithral hall please, these were just ... YUCK.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  00:06:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stopped buying the miniatures by the time the third(?) set came around - although some were quite lovely, most were utter crap, and their was a huge problem with the proportions (the dwarves were smaller then the halflings on a lot of them!) After getting my THIRD Fiendish T-Rex is only seven boxes, i never bought another box.

And I think they do compete, on some level. True, WH has large armies, but DDM is easier to get into for the beginner, and thats what i think they were shooting for . There is a niche for 'warbands' that is ever-expanding witin the miniatures market, now that the priices have become ridiculous. Several Games use smaller groups of figures now, most notably Iron Kingdoms. Thats kind of what I meant - not WH itself, but rather the miniatures genre. Now that D&D has its foot in the door, it only makes sense to try and get some of the miniatures people to try out RP by bringing the two lines closer in sync.

Halruaa Map is Up

Please Read the text below the pic for any changes I may have made.

Also, let me know if you spot any errors, or have any questions. I made the area covered a little larger then the last couple, so I had to 'shrink' the image to fit on an 8˝ x 11 sheet of printer paper. Unfortunetly, my printer is not working, so I can't test how it looks. let me know if the text became too small to read.

--- Thanks, Mark

Edit: Damn shame all of this is gone in 4e - thats why I did the last few - to say goodbye.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2008 02:25:31
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  04:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Was it willfully done ?
Yes... ...
On the newer maps, ...

In cases where text disagrees with maps, ...

I also try to ...

And, last but not least, ...

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive answer Markus.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  22:29:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newer version of Halruaa up

I found the town of Alu in the FRIA, and also corrected the name of Halazé (which changes three times, but I believe that is the most recent spelling).

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  23:07:46  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

You're only beginning to feel like they are changing things too much? I don't know if I envy you, or feel sorry for you (and yes, I mean that in a goodnatured manner).

First I heard 4th edition was going to focus more on lore and less on crunch, and I rejoiced.
Then I heard that Mystra and Helm bought the farm and that ten years had passed, and I was dissapointed.
Then I heard that the weave had dissolved and that of the Chosen Elminster was probably going to be the only one left in 4th edition, and I was shocked.
And THEN I heard that a hundred years had passed, that Halruaa had been blown up, that Seros had drained away, that the Moonstars had quitely rejoined the Harpers, and that Unther and Mulhorand had been replaced with wannabe draconians, and I was ready to commit ritual suicide.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  04:25:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You forgot to mention the kingdoms of Genasi and Warlocks, and the addition of the 'Mournlands' and 'Spellscars' (Dragonmarks)to FR.

I figure as long as you were at it, I'd give you some more rope.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2008 04:26:10
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  14:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Quick question, because I haven't been paying all that much attention recently:

If all the magic in Halruaa is going off at once, and one assumes that there would have been plenty of destructive magic on the skyships themselves (if only for protection), how is it that they're supposed to survive the "Cataclysm"?

We don't know yet--there isn't much detail available yet.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  15:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would assume this will be similar to Netheril, with some skyships falling to destruction and others falling safely.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  15:58:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those were the ones that were 'out of town' when the Spellplague struck?

After all, we know that the Smellplague was very selective about what it destrioyed and what it didn't.

I'm fairly certain that Shar made some sort of deal with Tymora, because amazingly enough nothing with the word 'shadow' in it was harmed at all.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  18:04:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I would assume this will be similar to Netheril, with some skyships falling to destruction and others falling safely.

All the Netherese enclaves fell, save for the two that had left the Realms. The three that survived were caught by Mystra 1.0.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000