Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is Sememmon an Opportunistic Deity Worshipper
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  10:17:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The reason I am asking this, is that it appears to be that the wizard, Sememmon does not have one true faith in which he believes. He only seems to worship the deities that have the potential to provide for him, giving his attention to those deities that serve his interests, and providing what he needs and desires, then moves on to the next, when the opportunity arises.

I know that back in the 1e FR boxed set, it claimed that Sememmon worshipped both Mystra and Bane. However I believe that this was only a type of lip-service worship, enough to get Sememmon what he needed from both religions. I see this mainly because of Mystra's mastery of magic, and Bane being the parton god of the Zhentarim. As it was with Cyric, he chose to worship him at that time, because it gave him an edge. He willingly chose to switch to worshipping Cyric, after Bane's death in the ToT. But it seemed at the time, that the only reason he did that, was because that was the general turn of the tide.

So I guess the real question after all of that is - What deity does Sememmon actually worship now?

And what position, if any do you think the Moonstars will play in his immediate future?.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  11:03:36  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sememmon looks much more like Thay wizards in this. He is only attracted by power and seems to worship deities only for that. Of course he won't worship Mystra now but is still worship Cyric. Bane has still not recovered all his power, so i think i will keep on worshipping Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  11:37:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree. Sememmon is too 'lawful' for Cyric worship. I am thinking he may instead go with maybe Mask, or even Shar.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

stoltzVI
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  23:26:12  Show Profile  Visit stoltzVI's Homepage Send stoltzVI a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wouldn`t he, if he intended to worship shar, turn over to the shadow weave?
i seem to recall something in th FRCS that stated that he knew of the shadow weave, but didn`t want to use it at this time because of shars tight control and demands that she put on its users?
of course, the thought that just now popped into my mind is that he might have shar as his patron, but hes smart enough to avoid the SW, since he knows that shar then would have him in a deadlock.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  08:49:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...an interesting thought. I believe some research is in order.

::The Sage wanders off down the hallway quietly muttering to himself, details concerning the whereabouts of his "Tome of Faerun"::

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Jun 2003 08:50:12
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  09:16:14  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess this is referrencing a thread from looooong ago (what happened to muamaddar(sp?) anyway?) but what is the difference between a sincere or insincere worshipper whithin the Faurunean Panthean? Any deity worshipped is a glorified Elemental anyway!). Yes, I'm indroducing this topic to push buttons,but it should serve it's purpose rather well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  10:07:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main difference is really only apparent after that certain character dies. Once the soul has journeyed to the Fugue Plane, a representive of the worshippers deity arrives to take the soul to the home plane of that particular deity. Once there that soul will join all the other souls gathered there for all eternity (as a petitioner). If however the person has been insincere in his worship, or has only paid lip-service to a deity, then he can expect to be treated as Faithless. The Faithless remain on the Fugue plan after their bodies have died, and are eventually added to a wall of living Faithless that surrounds the City of Judgment. After some time within the wall, a greenish supernatural mold that is used to bind these souls together within the wall slowly starts to break down the soul and consciousness of all the Faithless held within the wall. After time, the Faithless are broken down so far that they dissolve forever.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jul 2003 12:44:28
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is of course one of the more prvalent reasons the whole idea of "dying" never appealed to me. Coming soon, Malanthius' guide to immortality....

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  18:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Manshoon and Semmemmon were pragmatic in their worship of Bane.

Remember that the idea of most people worshipping one god above others, and going to the Wall if they didn't, was made up by James Lowder for Prince of Lies because he wasn't comfortable with things like pantheist worship and philandering kings. Such pseudo-monotheism isn't part of Ed's Realms and I recommend ignoring it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  20:43:25  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Both Manshoon and Semmemmon were pragmatic in their worship of Bane.

Remember that the idea of most people worshipping one god above others, and going to the Wall if they didn't, was made up by James Lowder for Prince of Lies because he wasn't comfortable with things like pantheist worship and philandering kings. Such pseudo-monotheism isn't part of Ed's Realms and I recommend ignoring it.

AYE! HUZZAH!!!! I always felt that faithless thing was a bunch of Bantha Fodder! The realms is a polytheistic society. I actually have a drow (grandfather of assassins) NPC, that is COMPLETELY faithless. I have invented a feat for him where he gets bonuses on all saves against priest spells. He is the Weapons master of House Na' Lespit in Rilauven (First house) and is essentially the ruler of the house, because he is so ressistant to LLoth spells. I think Dragon magazine published a feat like this, but I am proud of having thought of it before them:) I have not written it down as official, because this has been going on since first edition, but for 3rd edition I make him get about a +5 on saves, and subtract one die of damage. Of course this applies to healing magic too, but for this particular fellow, damage is usually not a problem:)

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  02:34:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are indeed right about that Faraer. It is disappointing when things like this occur, especially when it contradicts material that has been established before.

Although there is the unwritten rule about the D&D side of the Realms being not in complete connection with the story-telling side. Therefore one does not exactly have to make sense with the other, no matter how much we would like it to.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  03:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade! You've been holding out on us. Why don't you share some more feats with us (in the proper scroll, of course).

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  03:08:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good catch Bookwyrm. I missed that . Mournblade, if you would like to share with us your creations, I am sure we would all be more than appreciative.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  05:52:23  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK OK I'll get to it! Hopefully tonight!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000