Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is Sememmon an Opportunistic Deity Worshipper

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 19 Jun 2003 : 10:17:29
The reason I am asking this, is that it appears to be that the wizard, Sememmon does not have one true faith in which he believes. He only seems to worship the deities that have the potential to provide for him, giving his attention to those deities that serve his interests, and providing what he needs and desires, then moves on to the next, when the opportunity arises.

I know that back in the 1e FR boxed set, it claimed that Sememmon worshipped both Mystra and Bane. However I believe that this was only a type of lip-service worship, enough to get Sememmon what he needed from both religions. I see this mainly because of Mystra's mastery of magic, and Bane being the parton god of the Zhentarim. As it was with Cyric, he chose to worship him at that time, because it gave him an edge. He willingly chose to switch to worshipping Cyric, after Bane's death in the ToT. But it seemed at the time, that the only reason he did that, was because that was the general turn of the tide.

So I guess the real question after all of that is - What deity does Sememmon actually worship now?

And what position, if any do you think the Moonstars will play in his immediate future?.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mournblade Posted - 28 Jul 2003 : 05:52:23
OK OK I'll get to it! Hopefully tonight!

The Sage Posted - 28 Jul 2003 : 03:08:35
Good catch Bookwyrm. I missed that . Mournblade, if you would like to share with us your creations, I am sure we would all be more than appreciative.

Bookwyrm Posted - 28 Jul 2003 : 03:01:05
Mournblade! You've been holding out on us. Why don't you share some more feats with us (in the proper scroll, of course).
The Sage Posted - 28 Jul 2003 : 02:34:05
You are indeed right about that Faraer. It is disappointing when things like this occur, especially when it contradicts material that has been established before.

Although there is the unwritten rule about the D&D side of the Realms being not in complete connection with the story-telling side. Therefore one does not exactly have to make sense with the other, no matter how much we would like it to.

Mournblade Posted - 27 Jul 2003 : 20:43:25
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Both Manshoon and Semmemmon were pragmatic in their worship of Bane.

Remember that the idea of most people worshipping one god above others, and going to the Wall if they didn't, was made up by James Lowder for Prince of Lies because he wasn't comfortable with things like pantheist worship and philandering kings. Such pseudo-monotheism isn't part of Ed's Realms and I recommend ignoring it.

AYE! HUZZAH!!!! I always felt that faithless thing was a bunch of Bantha Fodder! The realms is a polytheistic society. I actually have a drow (grandfather of assassins) NPC, that is COMPLETELY faithless. I have invented a feat for him where he gets bonuses on all saves against priest spells. He is the Weapons master of House Na' Lespit in Rilauven (First house) and is essentially the ruler of the house, because he is so ressistant to LLoth spells. I think Dragon magazine published a feat like this, but I am proud of having thought of it before them:) I have not written it down as official, because this has been going on since first edition, but for 3rd edition I make him get about a +5 on saves, and subtract one die of damage. Of course this applies to healing magic too, but for this particular fellow, damage is usually not a problem:)

Faraer Posted - 27 Jul 2003 : 18:40:58
Both Manshoon and Semmemmon were pragmatic in their worship of Bane.

Remember that the idea of most people worshipping one god above others, and going to the Wall if they didn't, was made up by James Lowder for Prince of Lies because he wasn't comfortable with things like pantheist worship and philandering kings. Such pseudo-monotheism isn't part of Ed's Realms and I recommend ignoring it.
Malanthius Posted - 27 Jul 2003 : 12:39:48
This is of course one of the more prvalent reasons the whole idea of "dying" never appealed to me. Coming soon, Malanthius' guide to immortality....

Mal.
The Sage Posted - 27 Jul 2003 : 10:07:18
The main difference is really only apparent after that certain character dies. Once the soul has journeyed to the Fugue Plane, a representive of the worshippers deity arrives to take the soul to the home plane of that particular deity. Once there that soul will join all the other souls gathered there for all eternity (as a petitioner). If however the person has been insincere in his worship, or has only paid lip-service to a deity, then he can expect to be treated as Faithless. The Faithless remain on the Fugue plan after their bodies have died, and are eventually added to a wall of living Faithless that surrounds the City of Judgment. After some time within the wall, a greenish supernatural mold that is used to bind these souls together within the wall slowly starts to break down the soul and consciousness of all the Faithless held within the wall. After time, the Faithless are broken down so far that they dissolve forever.

lowtech Posted - 27 Jul 2003 : 09:16:14
I guess this is referrencing a thread from looooong ago (what happened to muamaddar(sp?) anyway?) but what is the difference between a sincere or insincere worshipper whithin the Faurunean Panthean? Any deity worshipped is a glorified Elemental anyway!). Yes, I'm indroducing this topic to push buttons,but it should serve it's purpose rather well.
The Sage Posted - 29 Jun 2003 : 08:49:04
Hmm...an interesting thought. I believe some research is in order.

::The Sage wanders off down the hallway quietly muttering to himself, details concerning the whereabouts of his "Tome of Faerun"::

stoltzVI Posted - 28 Jun 2003 : 23:26:12
wouldn`t he, if he intended to worship shar, turn over to the shadow weave?
i seem to recall something in th FRCS that stated that he knew of the shadow weave, but didn`t want to use it at this time because of shars tight control and demands that she put on its users?
of course, the thought that just now popped into my mind is that he might have shar as his patron, but hes smart enough to avoid the SW, since he knows that shar then would have him in a deadlock.
The Sage Posted - 20 Jun 2003 : 11:37:47
I disagree. Sememmon is too 'lawful' for Cyric worship. I am thinking he may instead go with maybe Mask, or even Shar.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

eilinel Posted - 20 Jun 2003 : 11:03:36
Sememmon looks much more like Thay wizards in this. He is only attracted by power and seems to worship deities only for that. Of course he won't worship Mystra now but is still worship Cyric. Bane has still not recovered all his power, so i think i will keep on worshipping Cyric.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000