Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What type of spellcaster do you like to play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  17:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Which do you play more frequently?

Choices:

Arcane
Divine
Both
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 22 Apr 2008 14:55:11

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  17:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think arcane, but I love playing divine, as well.

Also, note that I love playing bards, which would tip the scales a bit towards arcane, even though they aren't wizards.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Apr 2008 20:48:40
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  20:10:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a wizard playing fool!

With spells, they give you so many possible options...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  20:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played a number of clerics/specialty priests after Faiths & Avatars came out long ago, but with 3E, I will admit to loving the sorcerer for facility of play and ease of character building.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  21:08:34  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divine

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  21:54:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I played a number of clerics/specialty priests after Faiths & Avatars came out long ago, but with 3E, I will admit to loving the sorcerer for facility of play and ease of character building.

SES

The sorcerer is the best thing to come out of 3E, thinks I.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  21:55:54  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nearly all of my active characters are acrane casters of some sort. I just love magic, plain and simple. I have been playing some divine characters here and there, but overall arcane all the way.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  00:18:22  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  01:10:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

SES

I must admit, I was guilty of much the same when I first purchased F&A. There really were some great kits detailed within.

I've never really had any opportunity to play a 3e sorcerer however. And I'm not sure I'd want to. I still haven't brought the class into my FR as of yet, mostly because I haven't been able to settle on a suitable 'origin tale' for 3e sorcerers in the Realms. I do have 'sorcerer-like' NPCs, who possess strange "wild talent-like" abilities with magic, much like Ed's interpretation of sorcerers in 2e -- they just weren't called 'sorcerers.'

I suppose my take on 3e sorcerers in my FR would be very similar to what Ed outlined in Temptation of Elminster. I would probably establish a possible link between sorcerers and dragon/draconic bloodlines -- which hints at where the sorcerers get their dragonblood from. In the novel itself, it notes the dragonsblood experiments undertaken by Cordorlar, in the waning days of Netheril. In fact, I'd probably expand the scope a little, and suggest that other highly magical creatures also gained their own sorcerous abilities in much the same way.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  04:14:29  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I probably play the two almost almost equally; they're definitely my most-played classes. If I want an eccentric character, I'll play a wizard. I'll play a cleric if I come up with a particularly interesting interpretation of a given religion's dogma.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  09:28:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where are the both and or other choices?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too late for me...now there's a "both" option. I would have checked that. I think in the long run, I play arcanes more frequently, but I doubt it'd be by much.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Apr 2008 16:04:52
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to play both classes, but specialty priest are most-played class. I like playing specialty priest and believe in a minor good, because, this makes it easier to have great influence among the churches, and more respected.

When I an not a DM and I play evil characters, I usually create a Evil fanatic specialty priest, only healing believers and killing those who insults the goods. When playing Wizards, I usually specialize in a field conjuration, fire magic ore polymorph spells.

Ahh that was more that I thought to say

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 22 Apr 2008 16:08:37
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Too late for me...now there's a "both" option. I would have checked that. I think in the long run, I play arcanes more frequently, but I doubt it'd be by much.

Sorry about that... I normally put that option in my polls to begin with. (Alignment was an exception)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Sorry about that... I normally put that option in my polls to begin with. (Alignment was an exception)

It's OK.

Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  00:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the D&D cartoon sytle of the Wild Mage. Presto...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  00:45:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rory

I like the D&D cartoon sytle of the Wild Mage. Presto...

2E had a wild mage that I really liked. 3E had them, too, but the sheer chaos inherent in the 2E class was mostly stripped away. I've not seen a 3E wild mage class that I liked.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  03:03:30  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like both after reading the 2e players guide to the realms, where the story teller was a 1/2 elven cleric mage of Mystra.
Go to Top of Page

TheArchPriest
Acolyte

Brazil
14 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  03:22:11  Show Profile  Visit TheArchPriest's Homepage Send TheArchPriest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divine always divine

Black Flame Zealot
Influent Kossuthan Cleric

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  09:20:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
since there is now a both option, both but not both at once as i dont like the MT

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  17:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divine Grace
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  21:54:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I seem to always wind up a Cleric. Not that that's a bad thing...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 23 Apr 2008 21:54:18
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  01:41:55  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane - but in a Bardic and not Wizardly way.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  08:17:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divine. If I were to play an arcane caster it would most likely be a bard.

You know, it just hit me, I think I have only seen two or three wizards PC's used through nearly twenty years of gaming. I have a feeling that that is slightly less than normal.
Go to Top of Page

Ithil
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  02:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Ithil's Homepage Send Ithil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane.

Wizard in true RPG because of how flexible you can make a wizard with all the feat and spell options out there.

Sorcerer in NWN because there wasn't much flexibility available with the wizard, and the Charisma overlapped nicely with convincing people to do stuff for you.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  15:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane but I do have a Mystic Theurge floating around in a campaign.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  17:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I didn't realize I hadn't given a response to my own post. I like arcane, better, just because of sheer versitilty. Although a cleric with travel and magic domains(if one exists) would be pretty sweet.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  20:10:51  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionics (tough powers should be more different then spells, so with many houserules)

Go to Top of Page

RRELIN
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  15:08:17  Show Profile  Visit RRELIN's Homepage Send RRELIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally stick to Arcane casters.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  19:44:12  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scrolls shared, scribes:

Mystic Theurge in 3rd, Clage (Cleric/wizard) in 2ed.
I love the flexibility of having both types of spells
available.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  02:02:07  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite classes are ranger, druid, and sorcerer, so I like both.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000