Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What type of spellcaster do you like to play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Drew
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  08:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Drew's Homepage Send Drew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane... that way you aren't fully bound to a god like a divine caster

The noblest fate a man can endure is to place his body between the home he loves, and wars desolation.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  20:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer divine spellcasters, whether they be clerics with their diversity of domains or druids because of that nature feel... but, given the opportunity, I like the favored soul class best.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Zapato
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  12:08:06  Show Profile Send Zapato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Other', think its fun to experiment once in a while..with magic I mean Still have a soft spot for Divine though: I smite thie thay evil smite..thingie.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."
-Conan the barbarian on what is best in life
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  19:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted both for the pure fact I like casters in general regardless of class. However, if I ever got an option to play the artificer class from THAT setting I would play one of those just so I can play a caster that crafts magical items all the time.
Go to Top of Page

Basil the Geek
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  02:47:14  Show Profile Send Basil the Geek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psi then Arcane myself. If I do divine it's going to be an archivest. I hate being tied down to wearing god gang colors or anyone elses for that matter.
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2010 :  05:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane. I don't care that much for any particular FR deity, and I have a hard time tying a PC to one closely enough to make him a divine caster. I suppose there's always "tapping into nature itself" as a druid or ranger, but those classes just don't draw me. Besides, my nerdy geekiness lends itself well to playing a wizard .

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2010 :  06:36:23  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I'd have to go arcane ovr all- I just love the versatility. However, that said, I also occasionally enjoy throwing down with a divine caster, they can be a lot of fun, as long as the deity is not too stuffy.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  07:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane. It is the most rich and the most prominent base for experiments. You can form your own spell. Also I don't want to burden my deity with constant pleas.
Please, help me heal! Bring him back! Smite my enemies!
It is not like I am completely against divine help, but for me gods are more like moral guide. I must fight for them, not they for me.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  16:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Arcane but I do have a Mystic Theurge floating around in a campaign.

To update, I am running a Wizard in one 4E campaign at the moment and a Swordmage in another

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  22:21:40  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I dont realy think I need say much, but its ofc Wizard. Growing op with iconic figurs like Gandalf and Elminster and playing games like BG and Land of Lore, Hero Quest, how could I choose any diferent. Its just the whole setup around wizards. Dark libraries, in dark catacombs... filled with acient text, obscure writing and long lost spells.... Man how I want to play right now.

I’m reminded of a tale about this old book. “The Grimoire” it’s an old big dusty tome, with so many spells and so much lore. Dark it sits above the mantelpiece in the dark tower. The only light comes from the glow of a smoking pipe. The Moon is rising and in the distance a dragon roar is heard. The old man reached for the tome. Purple strands weaved out of thin air embraced the tome and by will of spell the tome landed on the old oak desk. He waited oddly before opening it yet again. Slowly he mumbled:"it must be in here somewhere . For more than a decade this old man poured over the tome trying to uncover its powers, secrets and knowledge... For more a decade the old man sat night after night in the gloom of the Ivory tower; and for all his power and all his knowledge he knew there was more. He wanted to understand everything. To him magic was not a tool, to him magic was a gift of art, and for that he sat... and over the years the tome became his life. For many years the tower stood quietly in the gloom of the village, quietly in the barren wastes, and there it remains. The old man died one cold winter morning, pouring over his tome as always. Yet dead, he did not waste his life. He did what any wizard would do. He tried to uncover the secrets of the lady of mysteries. As should any who weave magic. And even though you don’t know it yet; so will you. E
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  20:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was beautiful Nicolai. Where is it from?

I tend to play wizards if I do play spellcaster. I do have a current cleric of Lathander though, and that has saved us alot by ether healing, burning undead, or great speechs to convert people and get help. Though one high priest in a town thought I was trying to steal his spotlight and sent assassins, declaring me a heratic. Eh, all fun and games. I do know that if any player ever plays a divine user, I'd suggest Torm, as that DM loves Torm. You could slay babies all day long and still be a good person because Torm was /guiding/ you to slay babies or some stupid deal.

My favorite wizard was Valice. A Sunelf Wizard, who followed Mystra. I invented spells. There is nothing more awesome then playing a different character, and encountring some villain or other person using spells your other character invented and spread out. Some were deadly in combat. Others were minor due to RP reasons, like Valice's Protection from Stink, a zero level spell that allowed you to ignore smelly stuff, and grant you a +4 bonus to attacks based on something smelling horrible (Like Trog's Stench). Made because a fellow player was a dwarf who never bath. He stunk. BAD. I also made a spell that increased one's ability to hold his liqur better, as Valice was quite the drinker of heavy spirits. This spell allowed you to drink stronger drinks without feeling the affects, and took away hungovers. He shared that spell with a dwarf shaman, who used it all the time.

There were other spells of course. The most famous one being a level 3 spell, Valice's Elemental Missiles. Basically Magic Missile, but you get more missies, and you can choose each missile element at time of casting. Pretty useful at times. Made alot of money off that spell.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever been in a game that didn't have a player using a wizard.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.

Edited by - Dracons on 13 May 2010 20:52:09
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  21:32:07  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thank you.

The story is from an encounter with Elminter. Made it up myself for a group I was DM'ing!

Go to Top of Page

azare
Acolyte

New Zealand
5 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  09:14:24  Show Profile Send azare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i gota say divine u get the best of both worlds kicking ass and smiting fools bahahaha
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  15:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not played a PnP game (yet) but I think I'd have to say - on the whole - I prefer divine magic. I prefer the flexibility that a cleric gives you in terms of having the casting ability combined with melee combat if needs be. If I were to play an arcane spellcaster then I'd probably choose a sorcerer or a bard, something with a little versatility because quite frankly I ain't that cerebral!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  18:05:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I mentioned earlier, arcane- but for specifics, I really like bards, as I get both melee and magic for the price of one. The trade off is less powerful casting, but I like to get creative with what I have, so that's never been a problem.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  23:50:52  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to play half-elven bards (so overdone, I know) but I have done a bard/ranger a few times (more bard levels than ranger, and I was mostly a ranger so I could more easily become a Harper or arcane archer). Done the spellsinger prestige class too.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  01:26:32  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, Mythic Theurges are my Favourites! >w<

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
and a heart can only break so many times
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  01:52:08  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had the most success playing divine characters, druid, ranger, paladin and cleric.
I have wanted to play a mystic theurge, or even an ultimate magus. But, I always end up the divine character. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  04:02:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something about the divine always pulls me towards it, whether its being a Paladin or Cleric or Avenger (4E). Something about being more than oneself, fighting for a cause thats greater than the pettiness of mortals and transends race and culture. I also like being able to wade into melee and bash some heads when magic runs low.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  05:42:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divine for me!

It's practically built in roleplaying material, it's fun to multiclass with, you get good hit points (well, usually), you can help the party or go be awesome by yourself and it's just an all around good choice.

Halfling Barbarian Cleric of Vangal FTW!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  10:43:13  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I've played and enjoed both, my preferences go to divine, especially after the Faiths & Avatar series. I always loved mythology, and since knowing Legends & Lore, Monster Mythology and such, I became fascinated. I like also the versatility of the cleric - yes, because versatility is not only in the spells you cast, but I could fight well, cure my friends, boost their abiities and have some other cool spells and special powers. Besides, I like very much the roleplay of a faithful believer. And I always thought cleric lacked destructive spells, and then I read somewhere that they only have a few, powerful spells that represent the deities' wrath upon the unfaithful, a cool definition I've never thought about.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  15:29:36  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of my characters are divine characters, even those with no actual divine powers. My warlock/sorcerer could have shamed many clerics of Mystra with his preachings, same for my monk of Helm. As for the actual spellcasting, if I count my fighter-mages from 2nd edition, I probably played more arcane spellcaster than divine.

Edited by - Kilvan on 14 Mar 2013 15:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  16:57:32  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divine. I've always wound up as the party's cleric, and I've grown to appreciate the niche I fill (nobody else in my group seems to consider and/or realize that having one around is generally a good idea).
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  17:50:04  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... When I voted, I voted for Arcane because I love me some Sorcerers and Bards. I didn't think about all the Paladins I've played, because I don't really think of them as Spellcasters.

I guess my vote should be "Both."

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  17:55:31  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizard, Cleric, Mystic Theurge, in that order.

And yeah, I know the theurge isn't great as a PrC. But it was really fun to roleplay.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  02:02:31  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

And yeah, I know the theurge isn't great as a PrC. But it was really fun to roleplay.

The Mystic Theurge has never been very appealing to me. But my gaming experiences have made me slightly biased. The one adventure where one of my group actually played a Theurge was primarily spent picking up what was left of him and trying to find a high-level cleric to resurrect him. (Sometimes being part of a good-aligned party is a real *bleep*!)
Go to Top of Page

Rolk Flameraven
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  04:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Rolk Flameraven's Homepage Send Rolk Flameraven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Other" I love both Divine and Arcane magic and have played many a Wizard and Cleric but my one true love is the Psi.
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  04:51:57  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't always play spellcaster, but when i do i play divine character - Dos Equis :)

Seriously though, i prefer divine spellcaster over arcane or primal one.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  07:26:17  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

The Mystic Theurge has never been very appealing to me. But my gaming experiences have made me slightly biased. The one adventure where one of my group actually played a Theurge was primarily spent picking up what was left of him and trying to find a high-level cleric to resurrect him. (Sometimes being part of a good-aligned party is a real *bleep*!)

I hear you there. With my theurge, I often felt like that bard Elan in Order of the Stick. Certainly fun for roleplay, but there were serious negatives when it came to combat.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  14:05:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite class in 3.5 was the Binder whose magic was niether shadow, Arcane, Primal, Psionic, Elemental, or Ki, but rather unknown. So I guess you could call my favourite powersource vestage. Next is a tie between Divine and Shadow, especially classes who mixed the two like the 4e Blackguard.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000