Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 City Map of Melvaunt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  07:04:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm getting ready to run a campaign where the starting city is Melvaunt upon the Moonsea...but what I have are pretty vague maps of the city.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the most detailed map of the city that they know of?

I have two black and white maps already, the most recent being from the 2nd Edition supplement "The Moonsea" but I am wondering if there may have been a more recent map that I don't know about?

Thanks for any help!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  08:23:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only other city map of Melvaunt that I can recall at the moment, and the most recent, is from the "Melvaunt and the North" section in Mysteries of the Moonsea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  14:26:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage...I guess I should have bought that book...but I never did, thinking that it was just an "adventure" book and not a lore book. I was wrong of course, it did have decent information in it, I just never got around to buying it.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  05:28:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've decided to do a map of Melvaunt myself for my 1st Edition Game.

While the previously published maps of the city are pretty good...i'm wanting more detail than is offered in any of them...and there are inconsistancies I wanted to remedy as well.

When I get the map finished I'll gladly give it over to someone here to post...I wouldn't know where to put it.

The main thing I have a problem with is the dock area of the city...all the maps seem to make it seem like it sits on an open stretch of coast...and that seems a little unlike any major trade city I've ever seen a map of. Also, there seems to be no major area of warehousing or military docks in the seaside area.

The new map of Thar recently published also shows a river next to the city and surrounding farmland. The marketplace also seems misplaced in the city...

I'll get to work on it and then post when I have it ready. I'll be posting it on a website of my own, but will also ask if anyone here wants to post it.

More later...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  07:57:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Thanks Sage...I guess I should have bought that book...but I never did, thinking that it was just an "adventure" book and not a lore book. I was wrong of course, it did have decent information in it, I just never got around to buying it.
There are "Quest" sections in the book itself. But it does also have snippets of lore on the various regions in and around the Moonsea, as well as brief updates for the main four cities detailed:- Melvaunt, Hillsfar, Mulmaster, and Zhentil Keep.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  11:40:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought there was a map (along with plenty of other information) in the Forgotten Realms Adventure book?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  13:01:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, there isn't a map for Melvaunt in FRA. You might be thinking of the info and map for Mulmaster.

Go to Top of Page

Athelan
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  19:23:53  Show Profile Send Athelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Well, I've decided to do a map of Melvaunt myself for my 1st Edition Game.

When I get the map finished I'll gladly give it over to someone here to post...I wouldn't know where to put it.

I'll get to work on it and then post when I have it ready. I'll be posting it on a website of my own, but will also ask if anyone here wants to post it.

Did this map ever get finished and posted? Would love to see it.
More later...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  21:18:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope...another one of my left behinds I'm afraid.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  23:37:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the old Atlas of the Realms offered a lousy map of Melvaunt. I might be mistaken.

I have an FRA-style map/description of Melvaunt produced (years ago) for my gaming, although not canon it is comprehensively consistent with all the canon information about Melvaunt at my disposal. I offer a scanned PDF doc of it, if you like. NPC writeups and such are all written for 2E rules, but I don‘t expect that would present any problems.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  15:54:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, the FRIA has a map of Melvaunt.

Not a very pretty one though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  18:40:14  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yup, the FRIA has a map of Melvaunt.

Not a very pretty one though.

Could have been a lot worse.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000