Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Detailed accounts of Shieldmeet 1372 DR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  18:14:21  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to run several sessions of Shieldmeet and a Midsummer festival for my group. We are in the Silver Marches, though I do not know where the Meet was held in this year.

I searched the forum and found a thread with some very basic/generic ideas but I am looking for any detailed accounts of additional flavor.

Do any "celebrity" NPCs show up? Are there any games or contests that are realms specific that are played?

How are exotic races treated? Hobgoblins, tieflings, gensai, good dragons, half dragons? for example?

How are mage duels handled without blasting each other to bits?

What would be some plays or acts performed that are Realms specific?

I would like to pick your excellent brains for any ideas that you have used.

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  22:34:13  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd strongly suggest you start with the 3E supplements:

Magic of Faerun - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_of_Faerûn

and

Silver Marches - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Marches_(accessory)

They do a good job of touching on the sorts of things one might expect to find in the area on that date (and at mage fairs in general).

What system are you running your game in?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  23:56:51  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

I'd strongly suggest you start with the 3E supplements:

Magic of Faerun - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_of_Faerûn

and

Silver Marches - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Marches_(accessory)

They do a good job of touching on the sorts of things one might expect to find in the area on that date (and at mage fairs in general).

What system are you running your game in?

we are running Pathfinder. I own Silver Marches and Magic of Faerun there isn't much more than a passing mention of Shieldmeet if that. I am familiar with the area and all it has to offer.

MoF does give a fair accounting of Mage Fairs but I am looking for something much more varied and flavorful, with Realms-specific contests, games, festivals, NPCs, plays etc as much as possible.

Edited by - Cards77 on 16 Dec 2013 00:02:42
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  00:22:58  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This would make for an interesting column for Ed to write about. Man would I love an entire article or seven on Dwarven moots!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  00:42:00  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to run my Realms campaign in Pathfinder as well, it was a decent 3E alternative.

As you've checked the two books I suggested, you might also take a peek at "Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms" (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/398880000) for some good 'day to day living' tidbits to make the game come alive.

I'd also be interested to hear what other scribes might suggest by way of lore for that specific date. (BEAST is an excellent chronicler of events in the North for any given date.) Obviously the two biggest things to happen around that time were the signing of the peace treaty with the Kingdom of Many Arrows and the return of Shade enclave. You might see people and have plot lines related to both events.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  00:44:42  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I used to run my Realms campaign in Pathfinder as well, it was a decent 3E alternative.

As you've checked the two books I suggested, you might also take a peek at "Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms" (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/398880000) for some good 'day to day living' tidbits to make the game come alive.

I'd also be interested to hear what other scribes might suggest by way of lore for that specific date. (BEAST is an excellent chronicler of events in the North for any given date.) Obviously the two biggest things to happen around that time were the signing of the peace treaty with the Kingdom of Many Arrows and the return of Shade enclave. You might see people and have plot lines related to both events.

I also have that book. While it has great day to day details for food, drink flavor, but it is lacking in details regarding festivals and holidays.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  02:34:04  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cards,

You've got a good library over that way! Lol.

Okay, my last recommendation as an amateur lore finder is this: http://silverymoon.thyle.net It is a website/netbook compiled by some lovers of the Silver Marches (and the city in particular) written with 3E in mind and compiled contemporaneously to the advent of 3E (y2k for us, 1372 DR).

I don't recall if it had anything VERY on point, but it will give you some examples of local color.

Best of luck (or something, something, Tymora).

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  04:37:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FRCS (3E) touches on LOTS of different Realmsian ceremonies which are held on Shieldmeet. Take a look-see at that.

Since it says that Shieldmeet was held in the capital city of Battledale of the Dales, Essembra; my guess would be that the Silver Marches Shieldmeet would have been held in its own capital, Silverymoon. (When news first spread of the Spellplague, people converged upon Silverymoon, as well {The Orc King}.)

The League of the Silver Marches had only officially been in existence since early 1371 DR, so there would certainly be business to discuss concerning that.

The signing of the Treaty of Garumn's Gorge would probably have occurred just prior to Shieldmeet, 1372 DR. My guess is probably sometime in the month of Flamerule. The defeat of the upstart Chieftain Grguch had occurred just prior to this, as well--perhaps in Mirtul or Kythorn.

The svirfneblin town of Blingdenstone appears to have fallen to the Menzoberranyr drow in late 1370 DR, so that would probably need to be commemorated.

OTOH, since the FRCS says that Belwar Dissengulp headed a deep gnome contingent in Mithral Hall at Midsummer, 1372 DR, but RAS never wrote about any such thing in his novel which was set in the first half of 1372 DR (The Orc King), then my guess is that Belwar's group must have arrived at Mithral Hall in Flamerule, 1372 DR, right after the novel drew to a close. The miraculous discovery of more survivors from the recent fall of Blingdenstone would certainly be cause for celebration!

Mayhaps there would be some sort of would-be friendly competitions between the orcs and other races, for the first time ever? I can totally see that blowing up in people's faces, though!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 16 Dec 2013 04:46:10
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  22:59:11  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm off point but just wanted to say the link provided by Kris is one of the reasons I come to CK all the time...so much lore and so many sites I don't know about provided by you fine folks. Cheers.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  01:14:19  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cards,

Okay, my last recommendation as an amateur lore finder is this: http://silverymoon.thyle.net It is a website/netbook compiled by some lovers of the Silver Marches (and the city in particular) written with 3E in mind and compiled contemporaneously to the advent of 3E (y2k for us, 1372 DR).

I don't recall if it had anything VERY on point, but it will give you some examples of local color.

wow, amazing stuff at that site. That will enhance my whole campaign greatly thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  01:15:05  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

The FRCS (3E) touches on LOTS of different Realmsian ceremonies which are held on Shieldmeet. Take a look-see at that.

Since it says that Shieldmeet was held in the capital city of Battledale of the Dales, Essembra; my guess would be that the Silver Marches Shieldmeet would have been held in its own capital, Silverymoon. (When news first spread of the Spellplague, people converged upon Silverymoon, as well {The Orc King}.)

The League of the Silver Marches had only officially been in existence since early 1371 DR, so there would certainly be business to discuss concerning that.

The signing of the Treaty of Garumn's Gorge would probably have occurred just prior to Shieldmeet, 1372 DR. My guess is probably sometime in the month of Flamerule. The defeat of the upstart Chieftain Grguch had occurred just prior to this, as well--perhaps in Mirtul or Kythorn.

The svirfneblin town of Blingdenstone appears to have fallen to the Menzoberranyr drow in late 1370 DR, so that would probably need to be commemorated.

OTOH, since the FRCS says that Belwar Dissengulp headed a deep gnome contingent in Mithral Hall at Midsummer, 1372 DR, but RAS never wrote about any such thing in his novel which was set in the first half of 1372 DR (The Orc King), then my guess is that Belwar's group must have arrived at Mithral Hall in Flamerule, 1372 DR, right after the novel drew to a close. The miraculous discovery of more survivors from the recent fall of Blingdenstone would certainly be cause for celebration!

Mayhaps there would be some sort of would-be friendly competitions between the orcs and other races, for the first time ever? I can totally see that blowing up in people's faces, though!

Thanks for that run down BEAST. Many notable things to include there that will help immerse the group.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  22:11:11  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Hi Beast, can you be more specific? i just read through my FRCS and Shieldmeet is given a total of 3 paragraphs in a side bar, and mage fairs are given approximately 2 paragraphs.

So not much there at all. Can you give me some examples of these ceremonies and where they are located?

Sorry to trouble you but I really want to make this special for my players.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  02:20:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Hi Beast, can you be more specific? i just read through my FRCS and Shieldmeet is given a total of 3 paragraphs in a side bar, and mage fairs are given approximately 2 paragraphs.

So not much there at all. Can you give me some examples of these ceremonies and where they are located?

Sorry to trouble you but I really want to make this special for my players.

I'll try to get back to it. But I'm researching for the Kingdom of Many-Arrows Border scroll right now. I let myself get sucked into the latest Silver Marches sourcebook scroll, and I need to get back to the Many-Arrows one. I hope you can understand.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  11:10:55  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since BEAST is busy trying to shed some light on a scroll i opened, i think it's right if i try to lend a hand here.

I didn't find anything Silver Marches specific yet, but i have found bits and pieces that maybe can be of help in deciding what happens in your campaign.

FRCS (2e) on page 31 says that Battledale attracts folks from all the surrounding regions (Dales, Moonsea, Sembia) for Shieldmeet while pretty much all 2e sources (The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, Volo's Guide to the North, Waterdeep City of Splendors) and a couple of 1e sources (The Savage Frontier, Waterdeep and the North) say that Yartar attracts a host of people form all over the North during Sheildmeet. This leads me to believe that over time some places in Faerun built up a reputation for hosting the best Shieldmeet Fairs in their regions and so rose to prominence in that regard. How could that help you? Seeing how Alustriel wants Silverymoon and the Silver Marches to be the beacon of hope in the North i can imagine some kind of "friendly competition" with Yartar (and Waterdeep) to establish Silverymoon as the new "must be there" place for Shieldmeet (with all the economical and cultural consequences that brings).

Another interesting tid-bit of information from the 2e FRCS is on page 90 about the halfling costume of gathering in Corm Orp to trade and be merry each Shieldmeet, this is further reinforced in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (page 175) where it says that a lot of halfling that get to Corm Orp for Shieldmeet end up moving there thus leading to Corm Orp being the biggest halfling concentration north of Luiren. Again, how does this helps you? Well to me this suggests that demihuman races use Shieldmeet festivities to travel around and visit human dominated lands for trade and merriment without worrying too much about racism and integration problems and seeing the multicultural and multiracial vocation of Silverymoon i see Shieldmeet as perfect time for the city to showcase its qualities in hope of persuading wandering demihumans (dwarves, halflings, gnomes, elves) to settle in the city.

The Vilhon Reach reports that the custom of Turmish-Chondath mock wars was established in 300 DR in Shieldmeet to let the nations vent their hatred without resorting to full scale war, this is still a fight to the death and hunderds of mercenaries lose their lives in this mock wars. Now i don't know if the treaty of Garumn's Gorge was signed before or after Shieldmeet but athletic competitions and various fighting tournaments seem to me the perfect place were orcs, humans, dwarves and elves can compete as equal without (too much) bloodshed and thus are the perfect but very risky opportunity that can make or break integration between the various races (if things start to go wrong tragedy will ensue but nothing speaks more of integration than a dwarven and an orcish wrestlers beating the s**t out of each other and then getting drunk together while making lewd comments about Alustriel of Silverymoon!).

Next we have the Heralds, from Code of the Harpers we know each Shieldmeet the High Heralds have a public meeting (at which anyone can attend) where they discuss matters. This "Herald's Round", seeing as Herald's Holdfast is too small for big congregations can take place wherever you want it to take place (as i didn't find a specific location where it's at, so far) and being next door to Silverymoon ... you know where i'm going. Also there are two Heralds office that get renewed each Shielmeet: Green Shield (that has to organize and care to the defenses of the Herald's Round) and Gauntlet (that issues mercenary and adventurer's band contracts and deals with those sort of people on behalf of monarchies).

My beloved Lands of Intrigue has some tasty bits that, while very specific, can inspire you in making stuff up for your Shieldmeet events:
- The Orderd of the Silver Chalice (Siamorphe's sponsored knightly order) accepts members only during Shieldmeet or other very special events (in Tethyr's case, the ceremonies for the Reclamation of the Throne);
- Waukeen appeared in Trademeet (Amn) in 920 DR to broker the "Merchant's Peace" and punish dishonest merchants;
- Two courtly positions of the Tethyrian monarchy are changed at Shieldmeet: Lord Royal Chancellor (highest government administrative position with direct ties to the monarchs) and Royal Hayward (caretaker of the gardens of the royal palace).

And to conclude, we get to Faiths & Avatars where we can find which churches held specific ceremonies for Shieldmeet:
- Beshaba's faithful observe only Midsummer and Shieldmeet as special occasions in which they throw wild revels of destruction and rudeness in honor of their goddess;
- Deneirrath on Shieldmeet let people check any contract of which the local church has a copy and any other non-magical text someone wishes to read. Also on Shieldmeet they observe the "Gliding", a rite in which the priests congregate around a levitating script on which they cast the Words of Deneir in golden letters (and the manuscript is later exposed to the public);
- Helmites observe the "Ceremony of Honor to Helm" on Shieldmeet (no further info on this that i could find);
- Kelemvorites use Shieldmeet to tell the Deeds of the Dead so that the living never forget the importance of their ancestors;
- Mielikkans extend Midsummer's "Wild Ride" to the whole day and night of Shieldmeet (during the "Wild Ride" unicorns appear and ride on the country in herds, Mielikkans are allowed to mount them bareback and travel for all Midsummer's night, during this time Mielikki empowers the unicorns to teleport at will);
- Oghmanytes hold Shieldmeet in high regards because it's a time when a lot of agreements and contracts are signed;
- Selunites observe one of their most important ceremonies, the Conjuring of the Second Moon, only on Shieldmeets. During the Conjuring the Shards (celestial servitors of Selune) are summoned to the the bidding of the assembled clergy and at the end of the night one of the priestesses is taken to join their ranks;
- Tormtars use Shieldmeet as the preferred day to marry, perform marriages and finalize apprenticeships or training agreements.

That's all for now, hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  00:17:11  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Since BEAST is busy trying to shed some light on a scroll i opened, i think it's right if i try to lend a hand here.

I didn't find anything Silver Marches specific yet, but i have found bits and pieces that maybe can be of help in deciding what happens in your campaign.

FRCS (2e) on page 31 says that Battledale attracts folks from all the surrounding regions (Dales, Moonsea, Sembia) for Shieldmeet while pretty much all 2e sources (The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, Volo's Guide to the North, Waterdeep City of Splendors) and a couple of 1e sources (The Savage Frontier, Waterdeep and the North) say that Yartar attracts a host of people form all over the North during Sheildmeet. This leads me to believe that over time some places in Faerun built up a reputation for hosting the best Shieldmeet Fairs in their regions and so rose to prominence in that regard. How could that help you? Seeing how Alustriel wants Silverymoon and the Silver Marches to be the beacon of hope in the North i can imagine some kind of "friendly competition" with Yartar (and Waterdeep) to establish Silverymoon as the new "must be there" place for Shieldmeet (with all the economical and cultural consequences that brings).

Another interesting tid-bit of information from the 2e FRCS is on page 90 about the halfling costume of gathering in Corm Orp to trade and be merry each Shieldmeet, this is further reinforced in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (page 175) where it says that a lot of halfling that get to Corm Orp for Shieldmeet end up moving there thus leading to Corm Orp being the biggest halfling concentration north of Luiren. Again, how does this helps you? Well to me this suggests that demihuman races use Shieldmeet festivities to travel around and visit human dominated lands for trade and merriment without worrying too much about racism and integration problems and seeing the multicultural and multiracial vocation of Silverymoon i see Shieldmeet as perfect time for the city to showcase its qualities in hope of persuading wandering demihumans (dwarves, halflings, gnomes, elves) to settle in the city.

The Vilhon Reach reports that the custom of Turmish-Chondath mock wars was established in 300 DR in Shieldmeet to let the nations vent their hatred without resorting to full scale war, this is still a fight to the death and hunderds of mercenaries lose their lives in this mock wars. Now i don't know if the treaty of Garumn's Gorge was signed before or after Shieldmeet but athletic competitions and various fighting tournaments seem to me the perfect place were orcs, humans, dwarves and elves can compete as equal without (too much) bloodshed and thus are the perfect but very risky opportunity that can make or break integration between the various races (if things start to go wrong tragedy will ensue but nothing speaks more of integration than a dwarven and an orcish wrestlers beating the s**t out of each other and then getting drunk together while making lewd comments about Alustriel of Silverymoon!).

Next we have the Heralds, from Code of the Harpers we know each Shieldmeet the High Heralds have a public meeting (at which anyone can attend) where they discuss matters. This "Herald's Round", seeing as Herald's Holdfast is too small for big congregations can take place wherever you want it to take place (as i didn't find a specific location where it's at, so far) and being next door to Silverymoon ... you know where i'm going. Also there are two Heralds office that get renewed each Shielmeet: Green Shield (that has to organize and care to the defenses of the Herald's Round) and Gauntlet (that issues mercenary and adventurer's band contracts and deals with those sort of people on behalf of monarchies).

My beloved Lands of Intrigue has some tasty bits that, while very specific, can inspire you in making stuff up for your Shieldmeet events:
- The Orderd of the Silver Chalice (Siamorphe's sponsored knightly order) accepts members only during Shieldmeet or other very special events (in Tethyr's case, the ceremonies for the Reclamation of the Throne);
- Waukeen appeared in Trademeet (Amn) in 920 DR to broker the "Merchant's Peace" and punish dishonest merchants;
- Two courtly positions of the Tethyrian monarchy are changed at Shieldmeet: Lord Royal Chancellor (highest government administrative position with direct ties to the monarchs) and Royal Hayward (caretaker of the gardens of the royal palace).

And to conclude, we get to Faiths & Avatars where we can find which churches held specific ceremonies for Shieldmeet:
- Beshaba's faithful observe only Midsummer and Shieldmeet as special occasions in which they throw wild revels of destruction and rudeness in honor of their goddess;
- Deneirrath on Shieldmeet let people check any contract of which the local church has a copy and any other non-magical text someone wishes to read. Also on Shieldmeet they observe the "Gliding", a rite in which the priests congregate around a levitating script on which they cast the Words of Deneir in golden letters (and the manuscript is later exposed to the public);
- Helmites observe the "Ceremony of Honor to Helm" on Shieldmeet (no further info on this that i could find);
- Kelemvorites use Shieldmeet to tell the Deeds of the Dead so that the living never forget the importance of their ancestors;
- Mielikkans extend Midsummer's "Wild Ride" to the whole day and night of Shieldmeet (during the "Wild Ride" unicorns appear and ride on the country in herds, Mielikkans are allowed to mount them bareback and travel for all Midsummer's night, during this time Mielikki empowers the unicorns to teleport at will);
- Oghmanytes hold Shieldmeet in high regards because it's a time when a lot of agreements and contracts are signed;
- Selunites observe one of their most important ceremonies, the Conjuring of the Second Moon, only on Shieldmeets. During the Conjuring the Shards (celestial servitors of Selune) are summoned to the the bidding of the assembled clergy and at the end of the night one of the priestesses is taken to join their ranks;
- Tormtars use Shieldmeet as the preferred day to marry, perform marriages and finalize apprenticeships or training agreements.

That's all for now, hope this helps.

Wow. Amazing, thank you. How gracious of you to take the time to help. Excellent information and all things I will surely play out for my group. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

A truly epic post and one that should be included should any article be written on this subject.

Edited by - Cards77 on 19 Dec 2013 00:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2013 :  18:58:38  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cards,

That site is great but I noticed that all the links are dead (to all their PDF's, maps and some parts of the netbook). You don't happen to have those files stored away some where do you? I'm interested in MANY of the things they fleshed out, inn and tavern map PDFs, etc. But all links dead.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2013 :  19:27:38  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cards,

That site is great but I noticed that all the links are dead (to all their PDF's, maps and some parts of the netbook). You don't happen to have those files stored away some where do you? I'm interested in MANY of the things they fleshed out, inn and tavern map PDFs, etc. But all links dead.

search "wayback machine", copy the link, ... and all is there...

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  01:47:44  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

quote:

quote:

Cards,

search "wayback machine", copy the link, ... and all is there...

I did and indeed it was. Thank you for that. A wealth of very detailed information. Definitely worth checking out.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  15:44:13  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what I have so far for events at Shieldmeet and how I could possibly run them.

Each event will have an entry fee, and prizes will be awarded for top 3 placement.

1. Wrestling (grapping): grappling checks obviously.

2. Archery: ranged attacks /w masterwork bows on targets at distance.

3. Mounted archery: ride checks and ranged attacks on targets at distance.

4. Climbing: greased 40 foot spars to climb with climb checks.

5. Boxing: unarmed melee attacks, subdual damage

6. Obstacle course: acrobatics, climb, escape artist checks, combined with running and constitution checks.

7. Grande Melee: 2 vs 2 melee fighting tournament with padded/wooden weapons.

8. Horse racing: ride checks, handle animal checks

9. Arm wrestling: CMD checks/opposed str checks

10. Jousting: NOT SURE HOW TO RUN THIS

11. Pie eating contest: NOT SURE HOW TO RUN THIS

12. Brewing contest: CRAFT (Brewing)

followed immediately by

13. Drinking contest: Fortitude saves, constitution checks

Then a entirely seperate area will be blocked off to hold a mage fair, and all that comes with that.

14. Mage Duels (i'm still not sure how they don't all kill each other)

15. Arena matches of summoned creature vs summoned creature

There will of course be a stage, where ceremonies will be held for to honor Helm.

The High Heralds will meet in their public meeting and elect a new Greenshield and Gauntlet.

Clergy of Kelemvor will read the Deeds of the Dead.

A memorial of the fall of Blingdenstone will be held.

Also a ceremony of the Lord's Alliance officially recognizing the Treaty of Gorum's Gorge will occur. All the leaders of the Silver Marches will then hold their private summit in Silverymoon proper.

The clergy of Selune will observe the Summoning of the Second Moon.

Much unicorn riding will of course occur that evening.

A few things I still need ideas on:

What kind of mischief could the Beshaba clergy engage in during the festivities? I'm not terribly creative in this department.

I want to incorporate halflings and gnomes as much as possible, maybe with a costume contest?

Any other "fun" things not necessarily contests? There will of course be much bard telling of tales and performances.

Edited by - Cards77 on 31 Dec 2013 15:47:20
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  17:37:39  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jousting could be opposed checks, keeping in mind usually both knights succesfully connect the hits you could have riding checks modified by the damage dealt by the opponent blow to stay in the saddle (noting here that under 3e PHB rules the DC would only be 5 so maybe count this action as fight with warhorse with DC 15 or spur the mount with DC 20, depending on the level(s) of the characters jousting but then you have damage dealt doubled if you count the attacks as charges, so you need a low DC because the ride skill and the damage cancel each other). Uhm, trickier than i thought.

For the pie eating contest you can make it just like the drinking contest but with different ill effects on the long run and with some "modifiers" based on character weight.

For the followers of Beshaba: depending on how much do you want them have an impact on the play experience you can have them just be an annoyance (they stole the bowstrings for the archery contests or the pies! and bully people around the drinking/eating stands), a greater annoyance (they stole the prizes and brag about it, they partecipate in all "fighting" contests with the clear intent of wounding and hurting people, they sabotaged the mock weapons so after a blow or two the paddings come off and the damage is real), focused on the other churches (they beat and gag the Kelemvorites speaking the Deeds of the Dead, they throw things at the Helmites honoring Helm on the stage, they pester and try to interrupt the Selunites ritual) or be evil masterminds bent on ruining the entire event (they somehow dispel the wards on the Mage Fair and let dangerous/damaging spells loose or they do the same with summoned monsters, they kidnap people for slavery or sacrifices using illusions and false stands, they charme, command and control people to create the biggest brawl ever, they poison the pies and drinks with lethal poisons or with sleep drugs to rob/abuse people or with rage inducing drugs to start fights here and there).

For halflings you can have them be the ultimate street performers with a company of halfling acrobats setting up a great show.
For gnomes i personally used their renown as tinkerers and their illusion spell-like abilities to create both mechanical/chemical and illusionary firework shows.

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000