Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 1st Edition AD&D Forgotten Realms Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  02:56:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Small delay folks...had to do some unexpected work today that I'm just getting home from.

Will post the "guidelines" and first post tonight still though.

Thanks for your patience!

EDIT NOTE: I am not happy with the first post...so not going to send it out yet. I still need to hear back from KEJR on something too. I'll try tmr...sorry folks.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 01 May 2008 05:14:15
Go to Top of Page

Tazak Nymar
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  13:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Tazak Nymar's Homepage Send Tazak Nymar a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Would there still be room for one more person ? I have the player's handbook, DM guide and Unearthed Arcana for 1e already.

I already have an idea of what I want to play. A (CN gf Ill/Th). If you are interested please let me know if and when I should you a more detailed write up.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  16:00:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tazak Nymar

Would there still be room for one more person ? I have the player's handbook, DM guide and Unearthed Arcana for 1e already.

I already have an idea of what I want to play. A (CN gf Ill/Th). If you are interested please let me know if and when I should you a more detailed write up.

Sure thing!

I've actually had two people decide they can't play...Wooly and KEJR; so I have openings.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to start the game on Wednesday folks; got thrown a curve ball that struck me out. Will be starting today with only three players; but more are welcome to join.

We have:

Female half-elf Druid
Male half-orc Barbarian
Male human Fighter

Tazak mentioned perhaps playing a Female Gnome Ill/Thief.

Still looks like a solid party.

Talk to you all after I'm done with Church today!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  03:27:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guidelines for the game are very simple:

Any post sent out on a Sunday through Wednesday should be answered by Wednesday (whatever time zone you are in); this is only a loose guideline. Any post sent out on Thursday through Saturday should be answered by Saturday (again, whatever time zone you are in); again only a loose guideline.

Each player is responsible for any dice rolling unless I say otherwise. I trust each player to roll honestly and report honestly.

Each player should use “OOC” when talking Out Of Character in any email post. Likewise, when you are speaking In Character you should note in your post “IC” before your character speaks.

At any time you want to say something to the Dungeon Master that you don’t want other players to know, send me a private email to: dalor_darden@yahoo.com and make sure to place “Private PBEM Message” in the title please.

All other posts should be made to the Yahoo Group set aside for this game at: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Melvaunt_ADnD/

I will be starting the group out together in a post to the Yahoo Group. It will be best for the group, at least early on, to of course work together as an adventuring group. If later, individuals find that they can attend to adventures alone, feel free to explore that option. I want to maintain some group cohesion though, so try to stay somewhat together. Explore as you will separate from the group though. I know this sounds sort of contradictory…I just want everyone to have fun but do it together as often as possible. I will be keeping a careful track of time; so if you are off fighting on a “solo” quest, then you may miss out on something.

That is it really. The rest is just role-playing fun! I’ll be posting the first group post soon.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 05 May 2008 03:28:32
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  06:15:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RTF documents...Rich Text Format...

How the heck do I save a document in that format on my computer? All I have are Microsoft Office applications to work with.

Would anyone be interested in educating me?

EDIT: problem solved thanks to Kuje...I feel silly now!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 05 May 2008 06:36:38
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  05:09:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The game has started!

Yay!!!

Sorry it took me a bit folks...but the ol' ticker wasn't ticking quite so well today...and other business held me up over the weekend.

But now we are on our way to what I hope will be great fun!

Probably won't be visiting this thread much from this point on.

One thing I WILL do however:

When something becomes well known to the party, I will post it here to be known for those that might be interested in 1st Edition magical items, spells, personalities and such.

See you all soon!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  23:23:49  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am just wondering how it all worked out. I love the Old Grey Box as well.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  02:26:26  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still wondering hee hee.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  05:21:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately the game went south because of the DM (me).

I hate to admit it, but I totally failed in this game. I had good solid players with awesome characters, but I didn't get it going very well at all.

I think the problem was a combination of things:

Online format being controlled by someone (me) who didn't really know what to do with an online system.

I took on too much at once. The game would have been easy if it had been a once a week meeting; but constant monitoring of a game board was too much time.

Lots of other problems.

I am sure it would be possible to run a really nice game online, but I'm not educated enough on computers to get it done I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  21:35:17  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats ok. Maybe you will have better luck the next time. After all Rome was not built in a day.

John

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  06:22:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know...

I really wish someone else would start up a game like this. I love 1st Edition AD&D and would look forward to an online game.

If anyone would like to start a 1st Edition AD&D game, please do!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  01:10:20  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

You know...

I really wish someone else would start up a game like this. I love 1st Edition AD&D and would look forward to an online game.

If anyone would like to start a 1st Edition AD&D game, please do!

+1

John

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2010 :  17:43:37  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if it would work as an online chat game? At pen&paper.com maybe?

John

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  04:21:31  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/content.php

John

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  12:34:30  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how 3.5 would work with the Old Grey Box?

John

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  12:45:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

John

Easily.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  18:07:18  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

John

Easily.

I knew I had talked about it before.

John

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  20:06:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye...that is the whole point many of us made: you don't need to change the realms to use a new rules set.

Any RPG system will work for any setting...
Go to Top of Page

Dreyrugrulfr
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  16:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Dreyrugrulfr's Homepage  Click to see Dreyrugrulfr's MSN Messenger address Send Dreyrugrulfr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A shame that this didn't pan out. I've long been curious as to the differences (if there are even that many!) between 1st and 2nd. :)

No man is so good as to be free from all evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  23:56:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dreyrugrulfr

A shame that this didn't pan out. I've long been curious as to the differences (if there are even that many!) between 1st and 2nd. :)

Rule-wise, the systems are very similar. They're similar enough that I sometimes wonder why they called it a new edition.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  10:16:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do a quick search on the Dragonsfoot forums and there should be several lists. I think the theme has been discussed to death over there.

There were some differences to the rules, but if you take away the changes to classes, the lacking half orcs and the name changes done to demons and devils, they were relatively minor. Things like kits and proficiencies were optional anyway. But in general it was more a change in overall style and feel of the products; all the products for the TSR editions can easily be used cross-system with some minor tweaks.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  10:23:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Rule-wise, the systems are very similar. They're similar enough that I sometimes wonder why they called it a new edition.

The changes between 1st and 2nd edition AD&D were many enough to call it a new edition in my opinion, as there were quite a bit of minor tweaks and modifications all over the system in addition to the major ones. If the changes become to major, like the 3ed. it becomes more of a new system than a new edition, but that's just my opinion. Some game systems, like GURPS, have gone through edition changes with even less of a change.

In addition there was of course also the company politics side of the whole thing that might have been a factor, but Gary had been working on a 2nd edition himself before he was forced out.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  13:47:29  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

quote:

The changes between 1st and 2nd edition AD&D were many enough to call it a new edition in my opinion, as there were quite a bit of minor tweaks and modifications all over the system in addition to the major ones. If the changes become to major, like the 3ed. it becomes more of a new system than a new edition, but that's just my opinion. Some game systems, like GURPS, have gone through edition changes with even less of a change.

In addition there was of course also the company politics side of the whole thing that might have been a factor, but Gary had been working on a 2nd edition himself before he was forced out.

The changes between 1st and 2nd edition were not that BIG to me. But thats just my humble opinion. The game I am running for my wife is kind of like a hybrid meaning 1st edition rules with some 2nd edition added in and a few house rules.

John

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  14:04:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

quote:

The changes between 1st and 2nd edition were not that BIG to me. But thats just my humble opinion. The game I am running for my wife is kind of like a hybrid meaning 1st edition rules with some 2nd edition added in and a few house rules.

John

I prefer the 2nd edition myself, as that was the first TSR system I used, although I will be the first to admit that the quality of the modules sunk drastically in 2nd ed and that I never cared that much for many of the ideas that were a part of the period.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3348 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  16:55:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never cared for 2nd Edition all that much over 1st Edition...the only thing I didn't like about 2nd at all were the changes to the Dragons.

With 1st Edition, a party could face a dragon relatively early in their adventuring careers; but the changes to dragons made them become far to powerful for a low level party.

I liked Dragons the way they were in the Realms in 1st Edition: extremely deadly; but capable of being overcome by a competent wizard.

I also didn't like that they took out a few of my favorite classes for 2nd Ed: the loss of the Assassin was a major blow to my Forgotten Realms, and the integration of Illusionists into the Wizard class was also hard to swallow when you have a fella that started his career as an illusionist and then became a wizard...his spells were cut in half.

Later "editions" made it even worse for me: elves couldn't cast in Plate armor any longer...so what good was it to be a Fighter/Wizard any longer eh?

For me, though I can play any edition of the rules, 1st Edition is still nearest and dearest to my heart. I was introduced to it LONG before 2nd Edition came out...and it has now been a long road home; but I am here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000