Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 1st Edition AD&D Forgotten Realms Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1278 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  19:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Mournblade's Homepage  Send Mournblade an AOL message  Click to see Mournblade's MSN Messenger address  Send Mournblade a Yahoo! Message Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I never cared for 2nd Edition all that much over 1st Edition...the only thing I didn't like about 2nd at all were the changes to the Dragons.

With 1st Edition, a party could face a dragon relatively early in their adventuring careers; but the changes to dragons made them become far to powerful for a low level party.

I liked Dragons the way they were in the Realms in 1st Edition: extremely deadly; but capable of being overcome by a competent wizard.

I also didn't like that they took out a few of my favorite classes for 2nd Ed: the loss of the Assassin was a major blow to my Forgotten Realms, and the integration of Illusionists into the Wizard class was also hard to swallow when you have a fella that started his career as an illusionist and then became a wizard...his spells were cut in half.

Later "editions" made it even worse for me: elves couldn't cast in Plate armor any longer...so what good was it to be a Fighter/Wizard any longer eh?

For me, though I can play any edition of the rules, 1st Edition is still nearest and dearest to my heart. I was introduced to it LONG before 2nd Edition came out...and it has now been a long road home; but I am here.

I agree Dalor. I was playing 1st ed for I guess 6 years before 2nd edition came out. However though I play 3rd edition now, 2nd edition is my 'home' because I really had my DM ability honed in that era.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  22:15:23  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

quote:

I never cared for 2nd Edition all that much over 1st Edition...the only thing I didn't like about 2nd at all were the changes to the Dragons.

With 1st Edition, a party could face a dragon relatively early in their adventuring careers; but the changes to dragons made them become far to powerful for a low level party.

I liked Dragons the way they were in the Realms in 1st Edition: extremely deadly; but capable of being overcome by a competent wizard.

I also didn't like that they took out a few of my favorite classes for 2nd Ed: the loss of the Assassin was a major blow to my Forgotten Realms, and the integration of Illusionists into the Wizard class was also hard to swallow when you have a fella that started his career as an illusionist and then became a wizard...his spells were cut in half.

Later "editions" made it even worse for me: elves couldn't cast in Plate armor any longer...so what good was it to be a Fighter/Wizard any longer eh?

For me, though I can play any edition of the rules, 1st Edition is still nearest and dearest to my heart. I was introduced to it LONG before 2nd Edition came out...and it has now been a long road home; but I am here.

I agree Dalor. I was playing 1st ed for I guess 6 years before 2nd edition came out. However though I play 3rd edition now, 2nd edition is my 'home' because I really had my DM ability honed in that era.

I will say one thing. A 1st edition 2nd edition hybrid is very hard to beat IMHO. It just screams PLAY ME!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Dreyrugrulfr
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  22:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Dreyrugrulfr's Homepage  Click to see Dreyrugrulfr's MSN Messenger address Send Dreyrugrulfr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jorkens, thanks for mentioning Dragonsfoot forums. I've become greatly intrigued by some of the 1st edition material, and I think I might look into integrating some of it into my current 2E game at some point :)

No man is so good as to be free from all evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29792 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  23:51:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I "grew up" in 2E, but at one point, I had every single hard cover for both 1E and 2E (until they were all lost in the fire). Though 2E is no longer my chosen ruleset, it will always be remembered with great fondness.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  00:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, there is nothing better than the simplicity of 1st Edition.

I know, "charts this and charts that..." but the classes were very simple and easy...

The essence of 1st Edition seemed to always be about Storytelling the most...and any "rules" were in fact only there if you and your group decided you needed them. Monster stats, and even character levels, were only there to model "what might be" and the game was centered around CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT...I use all caps there for a reason: character development to me is about character depth, story and feeling; and not at all about statistics or crunch of any kind.

When I began playing AD&D it was about the character...just like a movie role.

I'm trying to get back to that now; because I've come to realize that so many folks now ask "how did that character do that? Their stats say they can't..." or "The rules of the game don't allow for that..."

To me, it doesn't matter if the rules say it can be done...it is about story. That is why Drizzt to me is perfectly fine "defying the rules" because he is a story character...not really a game character.

I warn my gamers fully that to expect something to be as it is written in a book you have is to be wholly disappointed when you find out differently.

"Well, what about guidelines! A player in a game should expect some sort of normalcy" to which I simply say: horse-pucky.

When you first encounter something in a game, it should be that way after...but don't expect to be able to read a rule book and know that a Beholder can do so and so, while a dragon at most can only have X amount of Hit Points. How boring, how predictable...I'm sorry there are no cheat codes to story my friends.

So to me, "Gaming" is now more about weaving a good story and enjoying a nice evening with friends munching snacks, laughing a bit, sitting on the edge of our seats a bit, and leaving with the feeling of wanting to be there next week too.

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  01:32:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I "grew up" in 2E, but at one point, I had every single hard cover for both 1E and 2E (until they were all lost in the fire). Though 2E is no longer my chosen ruleset, it will always be remembered with great fondness.

I'm old enough to remember working with 1e rules, but it was only when 2e came around, that I started really taking interest in what my PCs could do in terms of stats, abilities, spells, and the like.

In fact, 2e forms the basis of my own homebrew/hodge-podge rules-set that incorporates bits and pieces from other D&D editions, and third-party systems as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  12:09:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have some pretty warm feelings for the D&D game too (for me that's the Mentzer and Cyclopaedia editions). In many ways the looseness of the system and the archetype structures fit even better there.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  12:27:55  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the heady days of 1st Edition... I'll be the first to admit that I like tinkering with stats and classes and come up with "killer kombos", but it is very true that the (relatively) rules-light approach of 1E (and OD&D before and in parallel with that) made for some more freewheeling development. Same thing in OD&D and 2E. I play a hybrid based mostly on 2E these days, but still... reminiscence of the simpler days. Plus, it also reduced the conscientious objection against killing off player characters, as you could get a new one up and running in under ten minutes ;

In 3E, I get the impression (only an impression - I am ready to be corrected) that if a player says, "I'd like my fighter to a buccaneer-type character", someone will say "OK, where's the prestige class for that?"

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  20:18:02  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

I have some pretty warm feelings for the D&D game too (for me that's the Mentzer and Cyclopaedia editions). In many ways the looseness of the system and the archetype structures fit even better there.

Nothing is as freeing as flying by the seat of your pants gaming!
So I will say I am +1 with what Jorkens ha said.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  03:55:16  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is mine that just started. What do you think?

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=44334

Thank you for looking.

John

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  04:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks fun! I wondered, like the other poster in your forum, how she would handle the tougher fights.

Easily enough: Zhentil Keep is full of fodder...and she has not only a Charm Person spell, but looks too!

Easy enough to find an even willing sellsword to act as a meat shield!

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  14:17:49  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor Darden thanks for your kind words. I think it just depends on just what she wants to do and just where she wants to go. And thanks for taking the time to go look.

John

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  06:14:52  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
((Bump))

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  23:07:27  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also the Grey Box with B/X rules with the B/X Companion or BECM would rock too!

John

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  03:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the simplicity of BECMI for sure!

I'm just stuck in AD&D...

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2015 :  03:19:10  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really like the simplicity of BECMI for sure!

I'm just stuck in AD&D...

Nothing wrong with that.

John

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000