Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 House Aelryth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  02:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Reading about House Aelryth in the Grand History of the Realms intrigued me and I had not read of them anywhere else. Might someone offer a suggestion where I might find more information on them?

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  05:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried the "Elven Netbook" over at the WotC Forums? They're presently attempting to compile most of the elven references from the Realmslore into one handy source.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  11:54:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, let's see what lore there is regarding House Aelryth.

One of the foremost houses of Miyeritar, House Aelryth had its holdings in the forests of Ylithlorn, the north-eastern part of that realm, bordering the present-day Graypeak Mtns. It's most storied and noteworthy members were the house's founder Naelas (a High Mage of note, renowned for his mastery of 'shaping' magic, both of people and places), his great-grandson Foerdril ( a ranger of superlative skill whose greatest deed, the tracking and slaying through ambush of the two-headed red wyrm Xaratheralos "the Doomflame", is still known of today through the elven epic poem 'The Fires of the Dawn') and the beautiful Laertharla "the Hand of Hanali" (a stunningly beautiful priestess of the elven goddess of love who is known to have rejected the advances of the Coronal of Aryvandaar itself, Riilvas Vyshaan, son of Ivņsaar, and thought by some to have sparked the enmity of that kingdom and the ultimate fall of Miyeritar).

House Aelryth was predominately a dark elven house with a minor branch, the line of Naelas' sister-son Uiltran, being dominated by green elves. A strong supporter of Miyeritar's ruling House Olrythii, and tied to them by blood oaths of fealty and connections through marriage over several generations, House Aelryth was at the forefront of the opposition to the overtures of the Vyshaan. Their public denouncement of the Aryvandaari led to them being targeted by the gold elves of this kingdom, at first economically and then as time went on, through assassination and covert magical attacks.

With the annexation of Miyeritar by Aryvandaar in -11,800DR, House Aelryth to all intents and purposes became renegade. Its lands and holdings were confiscated by the Vyshaan and gifted to House Marstarym of Aryvandaar, one of the Vyshaan's most fierce and loyal vassals. Members of House Aelryth were arrested and tried for treason against the 'rightful ruler' of the realm, Coronal Avósaar of Aryvandaar, and often slain whilst 'trying to escape'.

Desperate and seeing no other option, House Aelryth turned to the elves of Ilythiir for assistance. The leader of Clan Hune of Ilythiir at that time, Kalannar, had taken for his wife Risthaera, daughter of Darathlyn Aelryth, renegade ruler of his house. Calling on their family ties by marriage, Darathlyn obtained significant aid in terms of magic as well as the offer to have several of the most promising warriors of House Aelryth fostered with Clan Hune and trained in battle and magic. Darathlyn took up the offer, seeing it as a way to ensure the future of his family, and continued to lead the opposition against the Vyshaan.

When the Dark Disaster struck in -10,500DR, House Aelryth lost all hope and the remnants of the family retreated to the Graypeak Mountains where they continued to raid Aryvandaar at every opportunity. It is said that Darathlyn's sanity suffered greatly following this terrible event for not only had he lost the realm he had sacrificed so much for over the centuries but he also lost his only two sons, Rilathlyn and Ergaith (both were both wizards of power and summoned by Ophaldaar, greatest of the three High Mages of fallen Miyeritar in their endeavour to counter the Killing Storm unleashed by the Vyshaan and lost in the great magical maelstrom that ensued - what Darathlyn never learned was that both his sons were transformed into sharn and exist to this day in the Realms as protectors of Rhymanthiin, the Hidden City).

In their desperate fight for both revenge and survival, House Aelryth turned from the teachings of Corellon and used any means in their power to bring death and destruction to the elves of Aryvandaar. Originally enjoying the support of various powerful elves of Illefarn, the evil acts perpetrated by the warriors of House Aelryth (who were known as the N'Kerym or "Shadow Blades" to the Vyshaan) saw them become increasingly isolated, paranoid and rapacious. Sages point to the taint of Ilythiir and the teachings and training that the young Aelryth warriors had absorbed in their time in the south as the reason for their descent into vile and evil acts. Others point to the acts of the Vyshaan and the position that House Aelryth found itself in after the annexation and the Dark Disaster. A minority of loremasters attribute the acts of House Aelryth to their basic dark elven natures, and their wholehearted surrender to their most basic, almost animal, instincts for war and survival.

Whatever the truth of the matter, House Aelryth was transformed into drow in -10,000DR along with most other dark elves on the face of Faerūn. Tales and legends persist that a very few dark elves were not so transformed, receiving Corellon's favour in the time of their greatest penance, and living out their lives in isolation, their numbers dwindling with the passage of the years until none remained.
The elves of Aelryth, now drow, sought to travel south and west from caverns in the Graypeak Mtns to Ilythiir but the dangers of the Underdark soon saw their progress checked and they decided to make a home in a cavern complex deep beneath the present-day Wood of Sharp Teeth and very near to Throrgar, the Shrieking Abyss. There they founded the drow city of Yuethindrynn and attracted many roving drow bands and groups under their banner.

Yuethindrynn is thought to have been abandoned in c. -6,500DR, although sages and historians argue and conjecture as to the reasons for its abandonment. Some believe that an ambitious drow house, named as Aelryth by some while others state different houses, attempted to create a great portal and bring the unspeakable primordial deity Ghaunadaur to Faerūn from Throrgar. Other sages state that Lolthite crusaders from the now vanished drow city of Haundrauth (believed to have been located on the southern shores of the Giant's Chalice), started a war with Yuethindrynn that resulted in their mutual annihilation. All that is known is that no scion of House Aelryth, whether dark elf or drow, is known to have walked the ways of Faerūn, both above and below, for nigh on eight or so millenia.

Hope this has been of use to you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 22 Mar 2008 11:55:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  14:26:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's some good stuff, Krash!

I'm noting one name in particular: House Marstarym of Aryvandaar. Obviously it could be a coincidence that the names are so similar, but did this house have anything to do with the later House Starym of Myth Drannor?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  17:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, George, more than I had ever hoped for. Amazing stuff.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  18:30:09  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent information!! Give us more!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  22:45:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm noting one name in particular: House Marstarym of Aryvandaar. Obviously it could be a coincidence that the names are so similar, but did this house have anything to do with the later House Starym of Myth Drannor?

Are there any coincidences in the Realms?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  05:09:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Are there any coincidences in the Realms?

-- George Krashos

I'm just trying to refrain from making a connection that isn't there.
Is there any lore on this you can offer?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  10:16:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think so. I'll leave it to Ed to flesh out the history of the Starym - unless of course he wants me to lend a hand. I'm happy to obliquely refer to things not of my making and to create linkages and connections between disparate lore, but I'm not messing in a sandbox which quite clearly has a significant presence in the history and make-up of the Realms without a shove from those who have real input in this setting. My musings here at Candlekeep are simple fanlore. Make of them what you will.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  13:21:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll let someone else ask him about that. My queue of questions is already quite long.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  19:01:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if those ****** were descended from Aryvandaar.

Mod Edit: Watch the language please.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Mar 2008 23:54:22
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  14:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not like all Staryms were evil.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  15:52:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Indeed. Josidiah Starym, in particular, was a pretty decent guy.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  22:24:35  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Indeed. Josidiah Starym, in particular, was a pretty decent guy.

I'll grant you that, but a lot of them were downright traitors to Cormanthor.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  00:09:29  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stand amazed by that lore, George! I reread the GHotR yestereven and wondered about this!

Thanks, George!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  10:14:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad it tickled your fancy.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  15:04:59  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am gob smacked George by this piece of Lore about Miyeritar....got anymore to share??????

"Waiting avidly with an expectant air...."

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000