Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Gray Forest/Tsurlagol region
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  21:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Where can I find a hexmap for the region in the Vast defined by a square, the corners of which are Dragon Falls, Tsurlagol, Lyrabar, and the point at which where Fire River meets the foot of the Earthspur Mountains. The Gray Forest (aka Tsurlar Forest) falls within this aproximately 100x100 sq mile region.

I'm looking also for a map of Tsurlagol (it isn't in the FR Interactive Atlas). Also any lore related to the Gray Forest (beyond the blurb in FRCS). I've done Prespos and Google searches. But are there any old modules that would have this stuff in them?

Edit: Ah, okay I just did find some lore in The City of Raven's Bluff. But anything else out there?

Edited by - Lemernis on 10 Jun 2003 21:07:35

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:58:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is virtually nothing published in 3e edition about the Gray Forest, yet. Even Unapproachable East has very little, even though, considering they detail Impiltur and Damara. Perhaps a regional sourcebook, for the Vast/Bloodstone Lands region in the future will correct this.

Anyway going over most of the 2e material that details the area in question, I found only a few sporadic sentences in the accessory The Bloodstone Lands, and even then, it wasn't much at all. In fact alot of the maps in alot of the material don't even illustrate the forest with a name.

The references in the accessory only mention the forest due to it's proximity to the city of Lyrabar. I'll keep checking though, I am bound to find something with all the material I have here .

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  03:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking, I'll keep an eye out here for a bit. :)

Well, at least I can invent a great deal of my own content for this area, and that's always fun. But any rate, I may have to wait to see if there's something about it in the next edition of FRCS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  08:21:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you need any help with fan-created material, I am willing to help. I create a lot of my own background material for the lesser known regions of Faerun, or areas that don't have much information in any of the accessories both of 2e and 3e. Some of my own material I have used to flesh out portions of the Realms is posted here at Candlekeep.

Anyway, let me know .

May your learning be free and unfettered

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Jun 2003 08:24:06
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  12:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, well I found an interesting source that shows quite a few locations in the area that I am building (this is for a NwN PW server, btw). This source is called the Vintyri Project, the Northern Campaign. You can download 'Impiltur GIFs' from http://www.steigerwaldedv.com/vinty...ld.htm#impiltur and view the GIF named 'Impiltur' to see the locations I'm talking about. (Or if you have the FR Interactive Atlas the map is also formatted into one of those FRIA files from that download.)

The canon for this region is very confusing. The map shows the following locations, and I've been tryting to determine which are canon

Earthfast City
Hill of Tombs (apparently includes the Vault of Seven Mysteries)
Citadel of Conjurors (ruin)
Torg Mac Cei coal mine
Pick 'N Axe
Toho Mines
House of Many Tomes

I also see a community named Hidden Hollow at the nothern edge of the Glorming Pass through the Earthfast Montains on this map http://members.tripod.com/taleoftheseven/smallmap.htm and I'm wondering if that is canon also.

Then finally I'm trying to determine what are the boundaries of the High Country of the Vast. Specifically, I want to know if the High Country includes the region east of Dragon Falls and south of the Fire River (right up the the foot of the Earthfasts).

Some posters on other boards have confirmed the following

Pick 'n' Axe (FRIA)
Toho MInes (FRIA)
Earthfast (FR11)
Hill of Tombs (Sea of Fallen Stars)
Citadel of Conjurers (FR4 The Magister, Sea of Fallen Stars)

And no one seems to know what the exact boundaries of the High Country are.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  04:26:50  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

If you need any help with fan-created material, I am willing to help. I create a lot of my own background material for the lesser known regions of Faerun, or areas that don't have much information in any of the accessories both of 2e and 3e. Some of my own material I have used to flesh out portions of the Realms is posted here at Candlekeep.

Anyway, let me know .

May your learning be free and unfettered

I have seen much of what you have posted in your Travelogues and found that very interesting, but are there other places you have posted material where you "fleshed-out" parts of the realms? If so, could you post the links? Not knowing what they'd be called I wouldn't know what to search for nor do I have that much free time to surf.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  14:09:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I jumped a little ahead of the gun there, so to speak Brynweir. Most of the fleshed-out portions of the Realms is still coming (since a lot of the material is used in my campaigns, I can't post it here until they are completed). I'll let you know though when I post it. I did have some Underdark Campaign Material, as well as material from my existing Evermeet campaigns posted on my gaming groups website, but that site is connected with my Legends of Amasaria site, which is currently down to assist in the release of my fan-created NWN Drizzt modules, due for release soon.

I plan on making a lot of my homebrew and current FR gaming material available for download in PDF format soon, but it is just difficult finding some spare time to convert the files to PDF format, and refine them so that are ready to be released. I'll let you know more as it happens though.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  04:30:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Lemernis,

Would by chance, the Forgotten Realms Atlas program work for you in this manner?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Where can I find a hexmap for the region in the Vast defined by a square, the corners of which are Dragon Falls, Tsurlagol, Lyrabar, and the point at which where Fire River meets the foot of the Earthspur Mountains. The Gray Forest (aka Tsurlar Forest) falls within this aproximately 100x100 sq mile region.

I'm looking also for a map of Tsurlagol (it isn't in the FR Interactive Atlas). Also any lore related to the Gray Forest (beyond the blurb in FRCS). I've done Prespos and Google searches. But are there any old modules that would have this stuff in them?

Edit: Ah, okay I just did find some lore in The City of Raven's Bluff. But anything else out there?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  05:22:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Interactive Atlas isn't exactly easy to lay hands on, these days...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  11:55:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

That makes me legitimately sad. I love my atlas. I use it during my gaming sessions, every single time. I think the saddest aspect about that atlas though is that it never was finished out. There is a ton of material left to be put on it; however, I am quite thankful to have it on hand these days!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Interactive Atlas isn't exactly easy to lay hands on, these days...

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  19:15:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR was a few years too early on getting into gaming software, I think. That's one of the few areas where they got into a market too early, instead of jumping on someone else's bandwagon.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  20:30:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I must agree with you. I feel you are 100% correct here. It is unfortunate, is it not? To think of the expansion and availability of information if they had just waited a few more years for that to develop in a much strong manner.

Alas.....we have what we have.

Best regards,

quote:

TSR was a few years too early on getting into gaming software, I think. That's one of the few areas where they got into a market too early, instead of jumping on someone else's bandwagon.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  21:56:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we'd've gotten the software at all, if TSR had waited... TSR wound up folding, in part because they'd over-extended themselves. It's not inconceivable that part of that overextension was associated with developing the Interactive Atlas and the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROM.

I wound up paying 50% of the original price, for both programs, when they were basically being dumped from the TSR Mail Order shop... This indicates to me that these endeavors were not successful, from a financial point of view.

But had they waited, these projects likely would have been scrapped when they went under and were bought out by WotC.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Sep 2018 22:06:49
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  22:58:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Great point. I will say, I would rather have what we have now, rather than nothing else at all. I use my atlas software very often: very often. It is crazy isn't, looking back and seeing how TSR went down. Very, very crazy. Yeah, for back in the day, I can see how TSR's development of that atlas could have overextended them. That kind of software was not at all common for what technology had available back in those days.

What was the second program you ended up getting at 50% off?

I wonder why the atlas didn't sit well with Realms customers. Any ideas on that, Master Rupert?

Thanks, and best regards.

quote:

I don't think we'd've gotten the software at all, if TSR had waited... TSR wound up folding, in part because they'd over-extended themselves. It's not inconceivable that part of that overextension was associated with developing the Interactive Atlas and the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROM.

I wound up paying 50% of the original price, for both programs, when they were basically being dumped from the TSR Mail Order shop... This indicates to me that these endeavors were not successful, from a financial point of view.

But had they waited, these projects likely would have been scrapped when they went under and were bought out by WotC.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  03:50:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I already mentioned it. The two programs were the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas and the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROM.

quote:

I wonder why the atlas didn't sit well with Realms customers. Any ideas on that, Master Rupert?

It was pretty well-reviewed, actually.

The issues were, I think, the price and the timing. IIRC, both products retailed for $40-50 each. For a piece of software meant to support table-top gaming, in 1999, that was not exactly cheap.

And at that point, we were not yet to the point of having a computer in every home. These were the days of getting those free AOL CDs in the mail twice a week, of no internet options aside from dial-up, and email still being a new thing.

I was sharing an apartment with my best friend, at that point, and the first computer that entered into that apartment was a second-hand one he'd been given by someone who'd gotten a more powerful one.

I didn't get my first computer until a year or so after that...

But that was, in my opinion, why the software failed: not from any issues with it, but because it was niche software and the existing market wasn't ready for that price for niche software.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Sep 2018 03:52:19
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  04:04:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Ah, thank you for restating the two items. I saw the atlas of course, but I somehow overlooked the Dragon Magazine CD-ROM.

As to the prices of the day, oh, I know what you mean. I joined the Army in 1993, and medically retired in 1998, so I get it. I remember the prices well. $40 - 50 back then was definitely expensive for sure. That was back when Planescape: Torment was rocking it! haha I loved that game.

Ah yes, the sweet tone of dial-up, lulling you to sleep...haha. I remember having to run phone line down the hall way in my barracks back then, trying to avoid attenuation issues, lol. Good times.

Best regards as always.

quote:

quote:

I already mentioned it. The two programs were the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas and the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROM.

quote:

It was pretty well-reviewed, actually.

The issues were, I think, the price and the timing. IIRC, both products retailed for $40-50 each. For a piece of software meant to support table-top gaming, in 1999, that was not exactly cheap.

And at that point, we were not yet to the point of having a computer in every home. These were the days of getting those free AOL CDs in the mail twice a week, of no internet options aside from dial-up, and email still being a new thing.

I was sharing an apartment with my best friend, at that point, and the first computer that entered into that apartment was a second-hand one he'd been given by someone who'd gotten a more powerful one.

I didn't get my first computer until a year or so after that...

But that was, in my opinion, why the software failed: not from any issues with it, but because it was niche software and the existing market wasn't ready for that price for niche software.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000