Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 God of Slaughter, Death, and Lies... BHAAL!!!! RA!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  03:53:26  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alrigth heres the lowdown, i would like to run a campaign about the resserection of the god Bhaal. Ala Baldurs Gate (sort of) and i was wondering what kind of abilities a child of Bhaal should get (if any).

The reason i feel they should is because they are effectivly his first born childeren, deigned with his essence.

If their was an article printed by wizo or dragon please let me know

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  05:08:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about a Bhaalspawn? If so, there was a Bhaalspawn template for 3e presented in DRAGON #288.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  15:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for accuracy's sake, Bhaal was never the god of lies.

As for the template, I can't say I recommend it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Mar 2008 15:31:16
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  17:50:26  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soso, a 'Child of Bhaal' - Baldur's Gate kinda Campaign. This wheel has been invented before I believe. And IIRC there have been a few discussions on the 'Bhaalspawn' before in these halls of Candlekeep. I would suggest you try the Search function of this board also....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Mar 2008 17:52:38
Go to Top of Page

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  01:02:03  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies in regards to not using the search function but i usually find it easier to ask, then beg forgiveness, then to look up threads which may or may not be helpful. Then open a thread and then get a response as such.

But thank you none the less... Especially for the article mention. And should anyone have any other advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

507 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  17:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
As for the template, I can't say I recommend it.

May I ask why? I am thinking of maybe allowing this template in my campaign and would love to here other experiences with it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  19:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

May I ask why?

Sure. :)

quote:
I am thinking of maybe allowing this template in my campaign and would love to here other experiences with it.

I just don't think the template fits the concept of the Bhaalspawn very well, as presented in the games and even in the novels. The whole theme of the Bhaalspawn Saga was, in my opinion, that the PC has free will in spite of the "bad blood" in him/her, and that the PC is not destined to be a villain. However, from what I remember about the template, it kind of pushes you towards being a villain--the PC gets to choose a "positive trait" at every level up, but also a "negative trait" at every level up as well. Some of the negatives are pretty extreme, such as being forced to murder a non-hostile innocent one a week (or something to that effect), registering as "evil" to alignment detection spells even if the PC isn't evil, being susceptible to weapons that harm evil creatures. Of course, as you level up you can't avoid choosing the extreme negative options, which ultimately might make the template a fine choice for a villain (someone more rules-savvy than I am might analyze it and say it still sucks, though), but pretty deleterious for goodly characters.

Needless to say, none of that applied to all Bhaalspawn (or even *any* Bhaalspawn that I recall) in the books or in the games. Which is odd, as David Gaider (who worked on the game) worked on the template as well.

Still, check the template out for yourself. If you love the concept, use it. All I'm doing is offering my opinion. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Mar 2008 19:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2008 :  11:36:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

My apologies in regards to not using the search function but i usually find it easier to ask, then beg forgiveness, then to look up threads which may or may not be helpful. Then open a thread and then get a response as such.

But thank you none the less... Especially for the article mention. And should anyone have any other advice i would greatly appreciate it.

So you let others do the searching FOR you, aye?! Lazy bun!

Check out this topic: Alaundo's Prophecies and hte Bhaalspawn
Also the FR Wiki on this: Bhaalspawn

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000