Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 PCs and the Chosen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  20:36:08  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How do your meetings with them go? Cause, I never quite am amble to make them suitably awe inspiring and enjoyable.

They always end up like this...

http://shamusyoung.mu.nu/images/comic_lotr30.jpg

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 19 Oct 2007 20:36:26

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  20:41:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want meetings with the chosen to be awe-inspiring. As they have not been combat encounters it has been meetings with normal people. Few people in the Realms know of the chosen's status and there is a reason for that. Beyond that, meetings with various members of the Sisters have gone well, there is a tendency to dislike Khelben though. That might be because random social meetings with him is rather rare.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  22:00:35  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My game has seen several chosen appear here and there over the years, only one of which would be awe inspiring, and that was Khelben, and more from his commanding and gruff persona than his being a chosen.

Just recently part of our group found themselves hosted at Storm's farm house in Shadowdale for few days whilst one of the members yacked with the old mage. Storm was a background characters that played a good host, but spent her day singing and playing with one of the character's children than inspiring awe. After living as long as they have, I'm gonna guess that inspiring awe happens when it's needed, but they (the chosen) could really care less most of the time.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 19 Oct 2007 23:52:10
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  01:36:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see, over the years, in various campaigns, I've had PCs with varying opinions, though few of them met the same Chosen as did others.

I had a Waterdeep group that loathed Khelben for dropping them into an extremely dangerous mission and essentially hanging them out to dry since their mission was a "distraction" from another mission for other adventurers, but they loved Laeral for pointing them in the right direction to get out of that particular jam.

Another group of PCs loved Khelben since his agents set them straight about some Harper plots they had gotten entangled in which they were not happy about, though they never met Khelben personally.

The few PCs that met Elminster thought he was a crazy old man a bit more addled than they thought he was, and this worried them a bit since he still seemed pretty powerful. But then there was the one PC that fervently prayed he never ran into him again due to that misunderstanding with the rift and all . . .

The PCs that ran into Storm never saw her so much as a Chosen as much as a powerful retired adventurer that cared about the people in Shadowdale, had lots of friends around the dales, and had her hands in Harper business from time to time.

The one party that even ran into the Simbul was terrified of her.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  01:55:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had Chosen as background "noise" in a campaign...but my friend Philip put it best when he said (and I paraphrase): "Well, we know they are there...but we don't run to them like a little kid crying for daddy" or something like that.

I did have one character way back that tried to kill Elminster...poor sodded fool. Mangar "The Merciless" was a pretty stout character for 1st Edition. Something like Ftr12/Clr15/Wiz20+ (or some such nonsense); so he wasn't a wussy...BUT...

I was still a kid when this happened really...at least young by my current thinking. I had run a sort of loose game (obviously with a character of that level in less than two years!...but we did play EVERY day after school for hours it seemed); but I was like: "You REALLY are serious about trying to kill Elminster of Shadowdale?"

I did some serious thinking...and at the end of my thinking I blew him away...quite literally. Mangar "The Merciless" became Mangar "The Mangled" and that was the end of that. It was after that encounter that I really had a full grasp of AD&D wizards and started playing my own wizard as quite a bit more than a blast 'em nuker.

Later, I did allow characters to meet with Chosen. I didn't see the reason why not honestly. If Storm has a dang farm in Shadowdale...she can't very well tend it while being GONE all the time...and if I have a young Bard in the party who sat outside her gate for days on end waiting for her it was going to happen! Never mind the guards or whatever...it WAS a public road he mentioned to me!

Elminster was easier to excuse away...but I do recall even having a party wizard study under him once briefly. It didn't amount to much, but the BRAGGING never ended: "I'm Dufus, student of the mighty Elminster! Surrender your weapons or suffer!" Well, ol' Dufus ended his days with a "why didn't they believe me!" on his lips...to which I replied "They did...but you see, they are BANITE worshiping wizards of the Zhentarim! You just gave them a REASON to want you dead!"

So after that, many of my players saw associating with such folks as outright dangerous! And those that had, really didn't want to talk about it any longer.

The last campaign I ran involved the Chosen quite a bit more...but only once the party had truly stepped into the area of being mighty too..and then the Chosen were more of a hindrance to their own plans really. Not enemies mind you...but my party wasn't much on being told what to do when they had accomplished deeds like the re-founding of Tethyamar (ol' Mort the Dwarf King wasn't fond of anyone able to cast a cantrip thinking they were going to tell him what to do!). The Chosen were more like the wiser parent that you promptly ignore when they speak to you: "Hmph! That might have worked when Khelben was in Waterdeep fighting orcs or something! But these are Trogor warriors trying to kill us here!" That sort of thing.

All my groups (except for the Mangled One) had a healthy respect for the Chosen really...but never really wanted to mix with them much...even for help.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  17:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Let's see, over the years, in various campaigns, I've had PCs with varying opinions, though few of them met the same Chosen as did others.

I had a Waterdeep group that loathed Khelben for dropping them into an extremely dangerous mission and essentially hanging them out to dry since their mission was a "distraction" from another mission for other adventurers, but they loved Laeral for pointing them in the right direction to get out of that particular jam.

Another group of PCs loved Khelben since his agents set them straight about some Harper plots they had gotten entangled in which they were not happy about, though they never met Khelben personally.

The few PCs that met Elminster thought he was a crazy old man a bit more addled than they thought he was, and this worried them a bit since he still seemed pretty powerful. But then there was the one PC that fervently prayed he never ran into him again due to that misunderstanding with the rift and all . . .

The PCs that ran into Storm never saw her so much as a Chosen as much as a powerful retired adventurer that cared about the people in Shadowdale, had lots of friends around the dales, and had her hands in Harper business from time to time.

The one party that even ran into the Simbul was terrified of her.

That all sounds perfectly in line with how Ed's described meetings with the Chosen to me. Good job, Knight.

Steven
who believes that how you're perceived by the Chosen (and how you perceive them) depends on the time, the stars, the situation, and manners above all else...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  18:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since many of my campaigns have been set in the Shadowdale/Daggerdale region, my players have occassionaly met up with three of the chosen. I always portray Elminister as a powerful mage, who goes about his own business and is much too busy to do more than occassionaly comment on the PC's actions. Most of the comments go along the lines of "well, you didn't screw that up too badly." The one time Elminster actuall said "well done" to the PC's, they about fainted.

Storm has been the chosen that my PC's have met up with the most. I've had a number of PC's who have grown up in Shadowdale, so Storm is a familiar character to them. Like Knight, I usually portray Storm as a semi-retired ex-adventurer, often involved in Harper business. Usually, if she's home at the farm, the PC's make a point to stop in and chat with her. In one case, the PC's stopped by and she was off on some adventure, so the PC's spent a couple of days bringing her crops in and cleaning things up around the farm.

Some of my PC's view Storm as family - sort of a favorite Aunt figure. Others see her as a senior adventurer and mentor. As characters, none of them have any knowledge of her Chosen powers, and I lik it that way.

The third chosen that I've used on several occassions is Sylune, the Witch of Shadowdale. She's appeared on a number of occassions, either by her tomb beneath the Twisted Tower or elsewhere in the dale. As a ghost, she's been much more mystical and "super-powered" than either Elminster or Storm. Several groups of myPC's know she has a special relationship with Mystra, and that even as a living mage, she had powers that most mortals did not.

I've used Sylune both as a source of ancient and forgotten knowledge and as a consciousness for the party. One at least one occassion, she's been the oracle-like "voice of Mystra" teling a party that particular actions would be pleasing/displeasing to the goddess. She's also appeared to correct a bad first impression that a group of PC's made with Storm. That was a lot of fun and allowed the PC's to see a whole new side of both NPC's.

Those are the only chosen I've used. I look forward to hearing how other DM's have used the chosen in thier campaigns.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  04:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players, while in Shadowdale, ended up meeting Storm, after a trip to the Old Skull got them redirected to one "Silverhand" for information. Half the party went to see her while the other half went to buy pigs to feed Nameless, a CN young adult fang dragon that had accidentally joined the party. After knocking on her cottage with no answer, the party walked around the corner to see a tall dirt-smeared woman wearing gardening clothes who was busy singing to herself and directing a number of twenty-somethings to help plant a large vegetable garden.

The party leader, Amyr, a Silvaraen nouveau riche moon elf diplomat, attempted a lavish introduction to "Saer Silverhand". He was promptly, yet politely, told to save such niceties for court. She answered the PCs' questions (while asking them to move a couple of planters). One of the garden-hands (who were all young Harpers) yelled for "Storm" to come help. The young elf diplomat finally put two and two together, asking if she was "The Great Storm Silverhand, Bard of Shadowdale". She calmly nodded, and Amyr nearly fainted.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  04:24:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
That all sounds perfectly in line with how Ed's described meetings with the Chosen to me. Good job, Knight.

Steven
who believes that how you're perceived by the Chosen (and how you perceive them) depends on the time, the stars, the situation, and manners above all else...

Steven, thank you, that means a lot coming from you!

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 31 Oct 2007 04:28:48
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  07:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Chosen in my campaign form sort of a loose fraternity of Do-Gooders that are mostly pre-occupied with their various attempts to make Faerun a better place. They routinely run into our players (or more commonly: vice versa) while handling their various and divergent agendas.

The Brothers of Azuth

Elminster: Is played exactly as players think he's played. He teleports in, says some random cryptic weirdness, then teleports out. Elminster's Hut in Shadowdale routinely blows up, he makes weird allusions to Modern Day Earth or other campaign settings, while acting like a role John Cleese could handle. He's always trying to get the PCs to handle his dirty work for him.

The fun part is, he's the ONLY Chosen who does that. One part Jester, One part Archetypical Mentor Figure, one part Lunatic.

Khelben: I run him as Elminster's polar opposite in most respects. He's pretty much Doctor Strange. Khelben is always filled with serious thoughts about the nature of reality, he doesn't joke, and he handles the art very seriously. Khelben is a manipulator and player of games but he's got everyone's best intentions at heart. However, he's been known to get in over his head which he'll never reveal to anyone for fear of showing weakness. This includes his wife Larael.

Unlike Elminster, he keeps a certain reserved distance from the PCs even when they're helping him.

The Seven Sisters

Alustriel: Queen of Silverymoon. She is also the Regional Leader of the Harpers. Alustriel is one of the weaker magicians amongst the group but still quite formidable in her power. Alustriel has a vertible army of lovers and dozens of children by many races (her tastes spill over to much of her court).

She's also kind and wise in a way that invokes R.A. Salvatore's Galadriel (errr I mean his version of Alustriel).

Dove: I always run her as the Hard noses member of the group, one of the weakest of the Chosen, she's nevertheless one who refuses to back down from any situation. She's pretty much the Tomboy of the group and runs scouting missions for the Harpers. She's loyally married to Florin.

Larael: Larael pretty much plays simultaneously the supportive wife to Khelben while also pretty much handles all of the various day to day politics of Waterdeep. If Piergion is the Open Lord of Waterdeep, Larael is probably its secret Queen. Nothing goes on that she isn't aware of or secretly handles. She also dallies about with Khelben's complete lack of care, though this is partially Qilue's doing damage to her reputation for the humor in it.

The Simbul: I always run the darker aspect of her. Specifically, the nation of Aglarond is ruled by a barking loon and psychopath prone to cursing or destroying anything in fits of pique while restoring them later when her mood passes (or not). However, they have to obey her or they will lose their nation to Thay. She's not a very good ruler at all and frankly just sits on her throne doing random things that catch her mind.

Storm: I always run as a creature that's equally at home in the courts of Suzail or in a tavern in Zhentil Keep (albeit disguised). She's a chameleon that can adapt to virtually any situation and is a professional Full-Time Harper that focuses all of her attention on bringing down the evil powers. What "free time" she has is always spent waiting for the next missives on her farm with Sylune.

She's a spy in my games.

Sylune:I always run Sylune as pretty much a fun contrast to her sisters. A Earth Big Sister whose always ready with milk, cookies, and love. She's a lovable and wonderful girl who just happens to be dead. That doesn't change that she's the nicest person you'll ever meet and anyone who plots harm against her will be struck down by Ao himself!

Qilue: Matronly, powerful, and unapproachable. That's what Qilue likes to appear as to her congregation. She really doesn't have time to do anything else but work on keeping the lingering flames of Eli's religion alive. Ironically, her free time is usually spent as "Bubbleheaded" Larael with a love for human males because they expect far less than her drow worshippers do.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 01 Nov 2007 07:36:22
Go to Top of Page

Iliyan
Acolyte

Croatia
42 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2008 :  12:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Iliyan's Homepage Send Iliyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friends had a assigment once to sneak into Zhentil keep and steal some very minor item from one of the guards... apparently the guard placed it into his chest in the barracks, and so one of the PC's, a bard used alter self to appear like that guard, and went in and stole the item... however on his way out, he ran into Fzoul... The chosen of Bane beeing himself, he saw through the transformation easy enough using his powers he commanded the bard to spill his guts about why he was here... which he did, furthermore, he sent the PC back to the party, where he ordered an ambush for them, luckly the PC's wizard was resorcefull enough to have a teleport ready, which saved the rest of the party( i didnt want to kill them all) however the bard-beeing under the compulsion from fzoul- didnt want to teleport with them, and after he returned to Fzoul, he was tortured to death.

Thus the party failed that mission... Later through the coarse of the game, Fzoul knew the party would confront him aggain, and he raised the Bard, and made him hunt down his party( he was raised as a NPC)

The party strugled long to kill that bard, and it was a pretty tense scene of deception( the bard feinged that he escaped)...

those were some of the best moments in my whole DnD life...

On a Side note, it might seem that i am a bit cruel for throwing Fzoul on the poor bard, but i couldnt simply let them walce into Zhentil keep so easily... and besides that player was somewhat unhappy with his character and was aching for a reroll... so i gave him one, and a stilefull one at that :D
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  07:49:46  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, I've only had my adventuring parties run into Khelben and Laeral. They saw the two of them (along with Mirt, Asper, Durnan, and his wife) while attending the funeral of a Helmite guard who was murdered by an agent of the Cult of the Dragon.

Previously, a disguised Laeral (using her favorite Skullport alias, Irusyl Eraneth) had provided them with the background information (and plot exposition) they needed on the Cult of the Dragon. After they returned from escorting the guard's widow and children to her mother's home in Amphail, Laeral (undisguised) offered them a warm bath and meal and pointed them in the direction of Maaril the Dragonmage, whom it turned out was the Cult's target all along.

The group only saw Khelben from a distance, and hasn't interacted with him. Although I purposefully began this campaign on Uktar 1, 1374 DR so that I could have the players witness the events in Blackstaff once they became somewhat settled in the game.

I'm looking forward to having my players interact with more Realms NPCs, especially Chosen, but I'm trying to find legitimate ways to work them into stories so that it doesn't seem as though I'm just throwing them in for my own enjoyment. Any ideas from the sages of realmslore and those who have done this previously?
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  10:43:22  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group ran into Elminster once, as they were passing through Shadowdale. He was out walking, and they happened to cross paths with him. Nobody realised who he was (El did, after all, just seem like an old man out for a stroll), and after a brief chat in which he directed the group towards a distant treasure that "adventurers such as yourselves would certainly be interested in", went on his way. And the group still never tumbled to the fact that it was Elminster for the entirety of the meeting.

This was back near the start of the campaign. It actually started a long chain of events that eventually ended up with one of the party members becoming a Chosen of Mystra himself. Later, when that new Chosen (and the group) was in Shadowdale to let El teach the mage about Silver fire, responsibilities of the Chosen, and so on and so forth, Elminster mentioned "how much he'd grown since the last time they met". The characters (not the players) were more than a little bit stunned, angry and so on at just how well Elminster had been manipulating them (and El even planted the whole treasure that he directed them towards in the first place). Of course, it would naturally have been at Mystra's behest that he did so, since she was interested in cultivating said party mage to where he'd be ready to be a Chosen, which in turn led to more plots and so on.

Of course, the other characters had their own developments - but this topic is about the Chosen. :)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  00:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calrond

I'm looking forward to having my players interact with more Realms NPCs, especially Chosen, but I'm trying to find legitimate ways to work them into stories so that it doesn't seem as though I'm just throwing them in for my own enjoyment. Any ideas from the sages of realmslore and those who have done this previously?

Are your players the type who would like to meet the Chosen? If so, my guess is that you wouldn't have to worry about making any such encounters seem "legitimate", although I'd recommend not letting such meetings occur too often.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  05:34:11  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They do want to visit Blackstaff Tower again to ask Laeral her opinion of another NPC that they have met, whom Laeral also knows pretty well. Other than that, and getting along with Laeral very well so far, they haven't really expressed much desire to meet any other Chosen. The game has only been running for a few months, and since it's a forum game it's slower than normal, so that could be the cause.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  17:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that sounds like a great idea for a meeting to me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  01:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Chosen my players have met so far:

Elminster: Good old El was met once by the PCs, since my campaign started around Shadowdale and I worked the ending of my previous campaign into (some part had to do with how I ressurected Bane in my campaign and nasty things happening throuhout the Dales)it. The "rookies" behaved quite valorously and (by an amount of sheer luck and circumstance, which had me frantically thumbing through my campaign notes) got their hand on an artifact, they wanted to get rid of. Quickly. They brought it to him and he just asked for this small...tiny, mind you...favour, in exchange for his aid. From that day on the PC´s never...NEVER-EVER want to do an old man a favour again. Oh, and the female dwarf-warrior maiden played around with a wild-magic ring and kissed him. She´s never feared anyhing more from that day on than...

The Simbul:Dark, crazy, psychopathic. That´s all my players know of her and all they´ll probably ever will, since they are running (dwarven warrior-maiden overtaking even the elven rogue, there), whenever her name is uttered near them. They actually met her once, but have no clue they did.

Storm: They merely heard her play in the aftermath of the Shadowdale crisis and were and still remain in shy awe.

Alustriel: They actually have a good rapport with Alustriel, thanks to several NPC connections and befriending several members of the Harpell family. They can seek asylum and help(to certain degree) in Silverymoon, after having gained a good reputation in that part of the north. They hardly ever meet Alustriel in person, but have made a good impression, when hey have. I use Alustriel as one of the "easiest" Chosen to deal with.

Khelben: They fear him. They also fear Halaster, but I think they fear Khelben even more. And théy´d rather go back to Undermountain, than visiting Blackstaff Tower. Since the emergence of the Moonstars is one of my campaign´s key sub-plot elements (not that the players noticed, yet), the party excelled in the "Stardock"-Adventure, befriended one young Lord Thann (and even hid him from his wrathful mother, or so they think) and openly left the Harpers, after word of schism spread a little, he is interested in them...a little. Of course that is the last thing they wanted. I use Khelben as a harsh taskmaster, unfathomable "boss" (on rare occasions) and generally the darkest secret this side of Bane´s shorts. They don´t understand him or the power struggles they´re embroiled in (which he has a lot to do with, Tethyr reclamation and all) and rue the day, they didn´t run away quick enough from him, before garnering his attention.

So, yeah...the Chosen can be a lot of fun for the DM. And this Chosen interaction may ound like a lot, but the campaign has been running for about four years now, methinks.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000