Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Bastion Press sale at Paizo.com
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  12:38:37  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had another weak moment and bought all the others that I resisted yesterday... *sigh*

Because you can never have enough monsters, and because I like themed monster collections:
E.N. Critters - Tulenjord: Land of the Fallen One
E.N. Critters - Interlopers from the Blasted Realm
E.N. Critters - Berk's Wasteland
E.N. Critters - Beyond the Campfire

Apart from the last one, the other three each feature a certain plane, climate or reagion (icelands, a bunch of critters from an evil lower plane invading the material plane, and a desert)

because you can never have enough guilds:
E.N. Guilds - Merchant Guild
E.N. Guilds - Artisan's Guild
E.N. Guilds - Safe Harbor Guild
E.N. Guilds - Monster Hunters' Guild
E.N. Guilds - Adventurers Guild
Faction Folio 1: The Labyrinth
Faction Folio 2: The Blackcloak Watch

FF1 features a thieves guild that uses a extradimensional hideout that leads to several other planes, and even gives the players the option of joining the guild. Sounds good enough for me, especially for 1$. Reminds me of Mote Cook's "The Nexus"; might be nice to combine the two.

FF2 features some kind of Watch/City Guard-like organisation that deals with powerful troublemakers like spellcasters or, well, player characters. :D

The Fantastic Science: A Technologist Sourcebook
...another tech-book I seem to have overlooked yesterday.

because you can never have enough magic stuff and creative spells:
Arcane Strife: A Tome of Arcane Magics
Elements of Magic (Revised)

I'll prolly use them for other crystal spheres. after all, spelljammer always told us that magic can work different in other spheres but never showed us HOW...

Carnage For Beginners: How to Fight With Flair!
d20 Status Cards

I'll check these and see if there's anything useful in to make our combats a bit more fun. We play with 2e rules plus the three Player's Options books, and critical hits are always great.

I can post small reviews when I've been through the books, but that take a few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  18:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I did spring for a couple of them, but I can't say that the Alchemy one caught my eye. It's just not a subject that grabs me. Sorry!

Well, when you want a Swamp Thing in your Realms, don't say you never had the chance to find the rules on how to slowly morph a PC from animal template to vegetable...

SES

Hmmm... or a NPC cleric of Moander into a humanoid plant? I can't recall that there has ever been any mechanical reference to how Minions of Moander (or their innards, IIRC) actually slowly transform into vegetable matter.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  18:19:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything I ordered is still on backorder... But it looks like the sale is over. So I'm de-stickying (is that a word?) this scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  00:11:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's still a few extra books I want to order -- though, as I recall, these weren't offered as part of the sale anyway.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  20:36:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my Bastion Press books today. Unfortunately, one of the books I'd ordered they ran out of. And it was one of the two I wanted most, too! Doom Striders was my second choice (after Airships), as soon as I saw the sale, but it went out of stock.

I did find one on eBay for a similar price, though, so I'll still be getting the book in a few days.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  01:19:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobleknight's offering Doom Striders at around $17 US. That's about the cheapest I've found it so far, anywhere online.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  04:39:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a seller on eBay who has 5 new copies available, for $7.99, with free shipping in the US. I've bought from them before, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370021138517

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:22:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got Doom Striders in the mail, and flipped thru it...

It's not at all what I expected. I was expecting a tome covering variant golems, and all sorts of nifty magical constructs. What Doom Striders is about is fantasy versions of powered armor and mecha. And while I like mecha and powered armor, I prefer to leave them to sci-fi, in most cases.

So I'm disappointed.

Are there any third party books that focus on variant golems and nifty magical constructs?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:34:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit, aside from a few tidbits from the book, I haven't really used Doom Striders all that much. It's been a worthwhile source for a quick mecha idea here and there, but I tend to prefer the approach to fantasy mecha offered by both DragonMech and the WarJacks in the Iron Kingdoms setting from Privateer Press.

Anyways, I asked a similar question back in January '07. You may find the sources listed in that scroll to be somewhat useful.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:55:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are there any third party books that focus on variant golems and nifty magical constructs?

The only two I can think of are:

MGP1004, Encyclopedia Arcane – Constructs - It Is Alive

and

MGP1013, Encyclopedia Arcane – Crossbreeding - Flesh & Blood

both are by Mongoose Publishing but those books are long out of print since they were printed for 3e and not 3.5e but I loved that whole series of books.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Apr 2008 17:56:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  18:42:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

The only two I can think of are:

MGP1004, Encyclopedia Arcane – Constructs - It Is Alive

and

MGP1013, Encyclopedia Arcane – Crossbreeding - Flesh & Blood

both are by Mongoose Publishing but those books are long out of print since they were printed for 3e and not 3.5e but I loved that whole series of books.

I'll check those out. I just ordered them from Amazon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000