Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Monte Cook's New Experiment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  00:10:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Monte Cook has finished up a book of rules based on his houserules that he has tried out in his campaign. A lot of them are essentially rules that address the problems that 4th edition is being designed to fix, within the context of 3.5 rules.

Its being released as a PDF, but depending on what it looks like, I'd love to have a hard copy of this (unless Monte suddenly lost all of his talent overnight):

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_BOXM

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  07:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
unless Monte suddenly lost all of his talent overnight)

Which most likely didn't happen. I'm still trying to get a copy of Ptolus right now. I'll definitely check this out.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  09:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sounds interesting...very interesting

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  13:06:03  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely worth a look...haven't been disappointed with his stuff yet...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  17:36:55  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to the 21st Feb.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  18:04:28  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  18:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I very well may buy this.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  05:52:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And its a hell of a lot cheaper then buying a whole 'nother addition.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  11:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sort of finding out about all this awesome OGL content that freelancers and third party companies have created over the years for D&D. It's been absolutely devastating on my pocket book but oh, the content is so so good. There is a treasure trove of designers like Monte Cook and I hope they all don't go over to 4e. But I don't blame them if that's where the money is at.

So ... um, to reiterate my previous point, definitely getting a copy of this. Sorry for the bit of off topic-ness.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  16:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep hoping that someone like Monte Cook or Paizo will make a 3.75 edition that is compatible with all of my 3.x material but incorporates some most (if not all) of the things that I like about the 4e Core (please do not construe this as my supporting what they have done with the 4e Realms, because I am not). Worst comes to worst, I will try my own hand at it.

P.S. February 21st is only 6 days before my birthday!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 11 Feb 2008 16:21:13
Go to Top of Page

Baroth
Acolyte

Switzerland
14 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  16:23:04  Show Profile Send Baroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the book. If you want to know anything about it just ask your questions. According to the homepage, there will be a hard copy version some time soon.

A few details about the book:
- Monte Cook explicitly says that the book is not a collection of house rules as in Unearthed Arcane. He suggests that one should use the whole book and not just parts of it.
- The book contains two major changes to the system of D&D 3.5:
1. Changed spell-levels (1 to 20)
2. One feat at each character level
These two changes provide the basis for the many of the new rules.

I can only recommend the book. The rules are really nice and seem to work quite well.

Edited by - Baroth on 26 Feb 2008 16:24:55
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  14:26:22  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Many people like myself may be interested in this or a 3.75, but won't find a use for it since the people we play with either have eyes set on 4.0 or refuse to move on from 3/3.5.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000