Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sneak Attacks... how many do you get?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  16:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This came up last campaign and there was a big disagreement in the group.

The PCs were facing a powerful fighter/rogue/assassin who's sword was enchanted with the ability to create a heavy fog. The assassin used this dense fog to sneak attack with a full attack action. The next round he would use a normal attack, and then a five step back to rehide in the fog, only to appear for a sneak attack again with a full attack option.

This is where the argument began. When Sneak Attacking, can you sneak attack at a full attack option? This Assassin had 3 attacks per round. So when he popped out for the sneak attack, does he get his +7d6 or whatever it was, to EACH attack that round? Or, does he get ONE sneak attack, and the other two attacks at normal ability. Or does he not even get those attacks?

I know in Neverwinter Nights, the rogues get each attack at a sneak attack... but that is the video game and this is not completely the same.

Watch my gorgeous wife sing at:
www.youtube.com/Airicx

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  17:54:57  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the examples in the official FAQ I would say only the first attack. The target of the attack becomes aware of the rogue's attacks after her makes his first attack.. there are examples, like using greater invisibility that all attacks would count, but I'm assuming that the rogue comes out of the fog to attack, thus after the first attack, he's no longer surprising his target.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  18:33:59  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A rogue gets to sneak attack whenever the target it denied the dex bonus to AC or when the target is flanked by the character attempting a sneak attack.

In your example, the rogue would be attempting to use surprise to deny the PCs their dex bonus to AC, thus making them vulnerable to the sneak attack. This is a great tactic but what your DM didn't read is that in a surprise round the aware party (in this case the rogue) only gets a standard action and can't make a full attack with a standard action. The rogue would only get a single attack (or two if fighting with two weapons).

If he had some way to flank you then I would guess that he could full attack and that they'd all be sneak attacks. (but I'm not 100% sure)
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  20:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The assassin in question was sneak attacking from behind, so would that be considered flanking for a full attack sneak attack?

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  20:47:25  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only if it's a 2 on 1 situation. If the rogue is alone, the rogue can't create a flank. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  23:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes sense. Thanks.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  11:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, being an assassin, he could very well take his/her time and paralyize or kill the opponent straight away.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  11:48:09  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Only if it's a 2 on 1 situation. If the rogue is alone, the rogue can't create a flank. ;)

~::: An assassin with access to the Persistent Blade spell would be able to flank. Being a powerful assassin i would say that could be possible as my level 5 rogue would try reading scrolls of Persistent Blade.

There is also a Skill Trick in Complete Scoundrel that allows someone to make an attack and the victim is not aware of the pain of damage until a later time (ie next round, 3 days from now etc...) in that case i would say if the assassin started his round with only a 5 foot step it could make a full attack action and get off multiple sneak attacks.

At no time can you make more than one attack per round as a standard action, even if you have 2 weapon fighting. A single attack only. If you make an attack with both hands it must be as part of a full round action. (Exception: AoO and Opportunist and riposte dagger..possibly others)

Just my 2 cents
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000