Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  10:04:58  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep, im actually doing so, but i have to translate them in a almost correct english , i promise they are coming
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  12:37:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to hear, I look forward to them.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  03:16:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here’s another feat, but I’m not so sure about it. It relies heavily on combat knowledge that I don’t have, so please let me know how to fix it if it needs it.

Sharpshooter [General]

Your character is trained to down his opponents with one shot.

Prerequisite: Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, base attack bonus +6, Concentration 5 ranks.

Benefit: Should your character have more than one attack with a ranged weapon through a high base attack bonus, you may take all of your character’s attack bonuses and add them together for one attack roll.

Every two rounds spent studying a target gains a +1 modifier to attack, for a maximum of +5.

Special: The target picked must not be currently threatening your character in any way. The multiple attacks cannot come from a feat such as Rapid Shot.

You must use the full attack option to use this feat. However, you may not move during that round. The effort it takes to sharpshoot requires total concentration on the target, and your character must stay in that position during that round.

The DM sets a concentration check DC based on the character’s surroundings, with a base DC of 15. For every point the roll falls short, a penalty of one is subtracted from the attack roll.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  03:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m going to add an example of the above feat in action, at least as it stands and as I understand things.

Kanlith (an elven archer I made while working this up) is a 10th level fighter. Using his sharpshooter training, he readies an attack on an unsuspecting orc. He has a +5 Dexterity modifier, so his ranged attack bonus is +15/+10. With the feat, he gets a single attack bonus of +25. He studies his target for a full minute, gaining the maximum extra bonus, for a total of +30.

Since he is unhurried, and is without distractions, he has only to beat the base concentration check DC of 15. He has a Concentration modifier of 7 (5 ranks, plus a Constitution modifier of 2) and his player rolls a five. As the result (12) is three points under the DC, his attack bonus is +27.

His player rolls for the attack, and gets a result of 9. That adds up to a roll of 36, more than enough to down the orc.

Am I right in thinking that this is too powerful? Or am I just too inexperienced to know how it all works out?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  06:56:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is actually very good Bookwyrm, and I would also definitely utilise this feat, however there are a few issues that need to be addressed first.

- What happens in the case that the archers target is partially concealed or under cover, or enters a partially concealed position while the archer is studying the target.

- The adding together of all the attack bonuses is the major issue though. It makes the feat too overpowered. It would perhaps be a better option for the PC if he was an epic level character, but I really don't think it is appropirate for anything under Epic.

- Or you could keep the combined bonuses, and just tone down or drop the +1 modifier to attack that the PC receives for studying the target. This will make it less of an Epic level feat, and put it more in line with the regular selection of feats available for non-epic PC's.

- Also consult the Silver Marches accessory and study the Peerless Archer PrC class on pg. 115. There may be something here which can give you an idea as to improving the feat, and adapting it to work with an actual class.

I have a few more suggestions but I let you look over what I have said, and maybe you can find an alternative. Or if you really don't want to change anything, just consider making it an Epic Level feat then.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer it not to be just an Epic feat. I'll see if I can add some penalties (I'd had some in mind, but wanted some Candlekeeper input first) that are in line with your suggestion. Maybe I'll split it in two, for a General and then a later Epic.

The 'studying the target' bit, though, was part of the whole reason I made this feat. I had to resort to my computer's thesaurus for the name, since I had that reason stuck in my head -- the sniper. I.e., 'one shot one kill' -- the unofficial motto of the U.S. Marine Corps snipers, the best snipers in the world.

See what watching too much news gets stuck in your mind? Not often does a serial murder trial (I'm speaking of course of the D.C. 'Sniper' case) become inspiration for a fantasy point.

Anyway, knowing some small bit of sniping (it's really a fun thing to be on a sniping range -- it's relaxing and enervating at the same time, since it requires a calm mind and quite a bit of skill) I wanted to see if I could recreate that with D&D. Studying the target is very, very important. If you're a 'true' sniper, you never fire until conditions are just right. It requires amazing patience (something I don't have, so I'll never be more than a moderately talented marksman) and a calm, ordered mind (again, something I don't have) to get the shot right where you want it. That was what I wanted to recreate.

Anyway, I'll work on it later on, and post the revised one latter on.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:24:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand that the 'studying-a-target' bit was the basis for the whole feat. Your idea was sound, and the theory behind the design is also interesting. Your suggestion of splitting the feat though, seems to be the best solution. Also, it would allow the PC to gain extra 'sharp-shooting' benefits once he progresses past 20th level.

Also, did you look over the PrC I suggested?. If may still have something that you can use.

Anyway, I look forward to your revision.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't yet. I pretty much ignored the PrC section in The Silver Marches, as I had a lot of reading to do for Mumadar's campaign, and none of those classes were any temptation to my character (as it stands, the only one that would interest him is the Loremaster; though since he's only a 3rd level wizard it's not quite time to think about PrCs just yet).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:46:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only reason I suggested looking into it was because the PrC class I am talking about has a Sharp-Shooting 'extraordinary' class feautre. I can't remember too much about it, since I don't have the book here with me at the moment, but I think the whole class centered around what you are trying to do with this feat, or at least had some basic features that you could incorporate into your feat. In fact I think this feat would work great with the PrC.

Ahh...,thanks Bookwyrm, you just gave me an idea, for the next portion of my Silver Marches campaign .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then it isn't a total loss.

Yes, I just read the entry. The PrC does have a Sharp Shooting extraordinary ability, though that means that the character treats any concelment less than total as if it were one step less. (Or two or three, for higher levels.)

I'm going to have to switch some stuff around. This really hasn't worked out like I hoped it would, and it'll take some more doing. I'll probably put it aside for now. I've got a Metamagic feat that I've been meaning to do, and I also have to get back to my forge. I think the fires have gone out in it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  08:04:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't mind Bookwyrm, can I have your permission to take a copy and tinker with it on my own. I see a lot of potential in this feat, and I have a few ideas that I would like to try out on my own.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  08:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I believe I've said it before: they're here to be used. I'd be touchy about some non-D&D/FR items I might post (Brynweir asked to use something of mine), but these are different. D&D is designed to be tampered with. If it wasn't then it would be nigh-impossible to post these things in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  09:10:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great. I'll post my revision of your feat with my basic reworkings sometime over the weekend.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2003 09:11:03
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  13:30:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few more new feats. I am just putting the finishing touches to them know. They should be up in ten minutes to half-an-hour.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  13:52:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the first, and Bookwyrm, I created this after your 'Order of the Peaceful Star' feat you described earlier. It is a 'lighter' version of that however -

The Open Hand, Not Closed Fist [General]
Your PC is able to fight evils through the power of words and speech rather than through force of arms. You consider physical arms and combat to be the absolute last option in hostile situations.

Prerequisite: Wis 14+

Benefit: Your PC receives a +4 competence bonus to all Diplomacy checks and a +2 competence bonus to all Sense Motive checks

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2003 13:53:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  13:56:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This next one, was created for my Loremaster PC currently playing in my Silver Marches campaign -

Master of Historical Arcane Lore [General]
Your PC has made continual efforts and strivings to preserve and maintain the historical and magical arcane lore of Faerun

Prerequisites: Int 16+, Loremaster PrC

Benefits: Your PC receives a +4 competence bonus to all Knowledge (arcana) checks, a +1 competence bonus to all Knowledge (history - your choice) checks and a +2 competence bonus to all Spellcraft checks

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  14:00:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This last feat comes from my Kara-Tur 3e campaign -

Charismatic Musician [General]
You are well practiced in an ancient and exotic style of music production unique to the nomadic tribes of the Endless Wastes, that allows you to magnify your personal charisma

Prerequisites: Cha 14+, Bard

Regions: Endless Wastes

Benefits: Your Bard PC receives a +2 bonus to all Perform (mandolin) checks, as well as a +2 bonus to Will saves

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  16:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you combine that first one with mine, you could make a truly gifted diplomat. However, perhaps you should shorten the name. It's a bit . . . awkward.

Comming off of the second, there's a skill I made for my wizard PC. Mumadar hasn't gotten back to me on it, or on other things I wanted clarified (he's really busy for some unrelated reason), so I should get someone else's opinion. I'll dig through my notes and find it . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  16:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it.

Knowledge (history of magic)

Your character is trained in aspects of history that deal with magic, such as ways it was used, knowledge of old spell types, magical creatures as pertain to history.

If the character holds 5 or more ranks in this skill, it provides a synergy bonus to Knowledge (arcana) checks if information is more than fifty years old, and to Knowledge (history) checks if it has to do with magic.

Alternatively, use checks with this skill instead of either of the two above skills, with the respective knowledge skills of history and arcana providing the synergy bonus (where applicable).

How's that?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  06:49:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really uncanny Bookwyrm, because at the time I was designing this feat, I was thinking about creating a seperate special skill for the history of arcane magical lore.

Although this skill of yours fits just about as well. I think I might alter the feat a little making the Knowledge (history - your choice) check more in line with the skill you have described here .

Also, I was thinking that the synergy bonus might be connected to the age of the knowledge. For example, should the historical magical information be under 50 years old, you receive a +1 bonus, over 50 years but less than 100 you are granted a +2 bonus, then a +1 bonus for every 100 years after that period to a maximum of +6.

What do you think?.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  06:54:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I neglected to mention, I already did combine the 'Order of the Peaceful Star' feat and my 'Words, Not Swords' (the new name for my 'The Open Hand, Not Closed Fist' feat) in my Aristocratic Diplomat NPC for my Silver Marches campaign. It worked great.

Of course, once the Shades assault began on the Silver Marches, no amount of diplomacy was going to be any good then...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  11:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think that's much of a good idea. The +1 for more recent knowledge is okay, but why would more ancient knowledge be more known? This is one of those things that you have to relate to Real Life. Now, you can of course split up history the way we do it -- Knowledge (history of Netheril), Knowledge (history of Myth Drannor), etc. But that's as far as I would take it.

I see Knowledge (history of magic) as the equivalent of our history of science. My character isn't too knowlegable about the state of life for a citizen of Netheril, or that citizen's personal goals in life might be. What he does know is the state of magic at that time, what the greatest spells were, and how magic was used. That sort of thing. Same for most other periods in history.

Oh, and Artalis suggested this skill to me. I just figured out the bonuses and how it would be used and such. Mumadar still hasn't told me if it's any good, but I gather from your reaction that it is.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  14:20:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That seems to be a valid opinion.

But I like the idea too much to just simply abandon it. Perhaps I'll tinker and rework it a little, and see what I come up with. Alternating historical disciplines is a good idea and it seems to be the approach to take, however I think I can build onto that idea a fraction.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  16:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be my guest. Just because I might not like an idea is no reason not to use it. I might be crazy. Or stupid. Or both. Probably am. And who knows? You might convince me.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  02:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a feat that gains the character +1 to one ability score? Or would that upset game balance too much? It can be restricted by some rule like "This feat cannot be taken at first level. It cannot be taken sequentially." Or something like that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  10:23:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good suggestion, but I only like to use those types of benefits for physical related feats. Although you would be surprised by the amount of people who think that such benefits upset game balance. I however don't. I think they are just as valid as many of the benefits that other feats convey to skills, or saving throws etc.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  23:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I was thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure if it would upset things . . . . I think it should apply to both types though. After all, what's to keep the PC from practicing logic puzzles, personal interaction, and/or meditation for Int, Cha, and Wis increases? It's not much different than the PC lifting weights, practicing tumbles and such, or toughening his body.

Do you think those limitations I suggested are good enough? I'm thinking they work very well for game balance, but I'm not exactly an expert.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  08:03:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The limitations are good, as they balance with the potential of benefits you receive.

As I said before, I like your idea and think the gains should be able to be added to both mental and physical ability scores. But it takes alot to convince players who have only ever played Fighter and Barbarian PC's.

I am still thinking about incorporating your suggestion since I think it is just as valid, and afterall I am the DM . Besides I wouldn't mind seeing my Loremaster PC benefiting from the potential available from this feat.

It seems like a great design Bookwyrm. I will attempt to play-test it probably mid-week. I'll let you know how it performs.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  08:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Just to make it more official and all:

Improved Ability [Alternate]

In place of a normal feat, you can select a single point of increase to one ability score. This cannot be done at first level, nor can it be chosen sequentially. This trade can only be used for when the character would gain a normal feat, not a bonus metamagic or item creation feat, or a feat from the fighter's list. Any time that a character is not limited in a choice of feats, and has not chosen this trade the last time that character was eligable for a general feat, this trade can be used.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  08:30:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm. I had a rough scribble of the feat in my notebook here, but this is a nice clean version to work from.

I'll have to check on that name though, I am pretty sure there is a feat already with that name listed in a third-party 3e game product I have. Maybe something from GRP.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000