Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The City of Splendors
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  05:40:06  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When I first heard they where writing a series of books about the "Cities" I was eccentric. We always hear about the heroes. The cities that they where in were always just the Great Waterdeep or the Sketchy Luskan. I was really hoping these books would make each city unique and give them flavor instead of just saying they where great or a bad place to be. After reading The City of Splendors I was disappointed. Did anyone else feel this way afterwards? And please tell me someone else despised the ending as mush as i did.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  07:26:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with City of Splendors IMHO is that most of us wanted a Evermeet/Cormyr style novel from it and we ended up getting a story set in Waterdeep. The whole cities series is just a disappointed and a missed opportunity IMHO.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  11:12:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read two of the Cities books (The City of Splendors and The City of Ravens), but I enjoyed both of them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  12:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked City of Splendors, but han't gotten hold of City of Ravens or had the time to read any other book in the series.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  13:58:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you know, I'm not really sure it's fair to judge a book by your own preconceived notions, rather that what the book is and aimed to be. The City of Splendors, for example, was never intended to be like Evermeet -- so it's wrong to be mad that it wasn't. If it had tried to be like Evermeet and failed, then that would be another story.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  15:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

When I first heard they where writing a series of books about the "Cities" I was eccentric.

You were "eccentric"? I just thought that was funny, sorry.

quote:
After reading The City of Splendors I was disappointed. Did anyone else feel this way afterwards? And please tell me someone else despised the ending as mush as i did.

I thought the ending was effective precisely because it was so disturbing to me. Also, I don't know if you felt that this particular novel was saying that Waterdeep is "good or bad", but I didn't get that impression, myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  15:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The City of Splendors, for example, was never intended to be like Evermeet -- so it's wrong to be mad that it wasn't. If it had tried to be like Evermeet and failed, then that would be another story.

Agreed, and I was actually happy that the novel tried to be "just a story set in Waterdeep" and not Waterdhavian historical fiction.

I've read all the Cities novels except for City of Ravens, and the only one that disappointed me was Jewel of Turmish. Just imagine: a novel in a series about cities that takes place mostly in the wilderness.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Jan 2008 15:38:32
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  17:18:00  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only book in the series I actualy finished was The City of Splendors and I liked it. I did try a couple of the others, but gave up quickly.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  19:00:42  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I didn't mean to imply I didn't like it, just disappointed.

With 4E my hopes for a Silverymoon book styled after Evermeet/Cormyr is doomed. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000