Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  13:07:53  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
I know Ed has mentioned here that Storm will make love to women as well as men.

I think most of Ed's women are flexible in who they relate to.
Now men making love to men... those are rarely mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  19:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

quote:

Do I detect a little inter-subculture cattiness?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  23:03:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And because it's just not possible for me to have too many questions in the queue...

I was looking at Dragon #124, earlier. I was specifically reading the article on skyships. The skyship described in the article was said to be Thayan -- but the much later info on Halruaan skyships (FR16 Shining South) was pretty much identical.

So that leaves me wondering... Was this ship not Thayan, or was it built using Halruaan techniques? And were the Halruaan techniques the same or different in your Realms?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  00:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

quote:

Do I detect a little inter-subculture cattiness?

Maybe not cattiness, perhaps frustration is the better word?

I had a whole long rant written, but decided this was not the place for it... So I put it up on my LJ Goddess Musing, if anyone's interested in reading it.

Please note, I mean no disrespect to Ed in the post - I appreciate all the work he's done and his advocacy of LGBT characters in the Realms. It must be a Sisyphean task to work against the might of a so called "Family Friendly" giant like Hasbro/WotC.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  02:46:58  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
I can think of a pair of minor, almost background characters in Elminster in Myth Drannor - two male elves of the common classes, close friends, one of whom dies. Nothing more than friendship is alluded to, but we don't see either chasing females, and I have always felt perfectly free to imagine the pair were more interested in each other. Whether Ed can confirm this without the Morality Code Enforcers shutting us down, I cannot say.

But thanks for raising the point, Zan. Our lore is indeed short on sheild-brothers and two-spirits of the masculine sex.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  16:53:49  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Cattiness? I'd purr, but I wonder if that would relay the right message...
I note though that it is quite possible to add references to gay characters in WotC products (especially Realms) - it is just that there is a need to stay away from explicit scenes. It would be nice to see it more often applied to men, but I fear most gamers tend to think bisexual women as 'hot', and true lesbians (and gay men) as... well, not... so authors stay away form it.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  17:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Considering Ed has told the tale at several GenCon seminars of a DRAGON editor nixing a King Arthur article because (in the context of explaining the various "the Round Table broke up because" legends) Ed wrote that Lancelot and Guinevre were "lovers" {and Ed wrote NO MORE than that}, I'd suspect that Ed put the references in . . . and various disapproving or nervous editors took them out. [[Perhaps using the justification that if the sexual orientation of a character isn't integral to a fiction or adventure plotline, it should be omitted on grounds of taste and company policy (upset no one, lose no sales) . . . and if it IS integral, perjaps that plot should be abandoned and replaced by another.]]
So I'm thinking Ed is probably not the culprit here.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  18:42:08  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
Well... if Hasbro won't publish it, we won't see it for sale any time soon (and I am perfectly certain that it is a marketing/PR hangup, and not a failure of Ed's inclusiveness, imagination, tolerance or greatness of soul.) So let's make it a question for the Green-wood sage of the Icy Northlands:

Ed, are there any ballads or tales popular in the Sword Coast, Heartlands, Luruar or the lands of the Dragon Reach, which celebrate famous lovers who happen to both have been male? Not that their love need to be what they are famous for, but like Achilles and Patroklos, an element of their tale to deep to omit?

Edited by - Vangelor on 10 Nov 2008 21:43:03
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  19:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

They are there, though, as per Ed*.

*For the record, I'd be perfectly happy to read about more gay characters of both sexes, protagonists especially.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 Nov 2008 19:09:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  23:26:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Cattiness? I'd purr, but I wonder if that would relay the right message...
I note though that it is quite possible to add references to gay characters in WotC products (especially Realms) - it is just that there is a need to stay away from explicit scenes. It would be nice to see it more often applied to men, but I fear most gamers tend to think bisexual women as 'hot', and true lesbians (and gay men) as... well, not... so authors stay away form it.

Gomez

You might want to delve into the compiled reply archives from Ed. He has discussed this topic several times in the past.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  02:36:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, I'm doing a re-work of the Returned Abeir map, and I'm almost done, but I ran into a snafu (not the first, but the first that I decided not to resolve on my own).

In the lower-right hand corner Laerakond right near the coast we see a near-perfectly straight line running diagonally - what the heck is that?

Skinny forest or mountains? I thought maybe another rift, but it's really too close to the coast for that. The only other thing I can think of is a landrise/clifface.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Nov 2008 02:37:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  15:56:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Markustay!
Ed just sent me this response:

Darned if I know. Looks like an unnaturally-straight line of mountains (single long ridge?) to me. It's not on my original map (which is black-and-white line art, "mountain peaks drawn in" style; crude but of course [[ like most cartographers :} ]], I prefer it to the published one). Geologically, a long cliff-face (a la "white cliffs of Dover," but of course NOT chalk) could be there, but it looks odd and I'd consider it a mistake for a worldbuilder (if doing something odd, there had better be an immediately-furnished explanation, no matter how fantastical).
Oh, and Rimlost is part of Fimbrul, and located as in the FRCG. I have no idea how it made it into the Gontal web piece (which was obviously chopped out of what I wrote for the FRCG for space/wordcount reasons). Being as Bruce's name is attached to that web presentation, he might know. :}
I have been talking with WotC folk re. providing more lore for this new continent on the WotC website, but the back-and-forth discussions have been VERY slow.

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on all sorts of secret projects, for the Realms and elsewhere. (I hope scribes will catch all three of his recent novels: DARK VENGEANCE for Tor, THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS for Wizards, and ARCH WIZARD for Solaris.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  16:09:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Another message from Ed, this time in response to Sage of Stars (echoed by A Publishing Lackey), who asked: "Ed, there have been rumors in certain publishing circles that you have been writing Christmas stories every year, and plan to publish a book of them. True? Or would you rather not say, yet? Thank you, either way."
Ed replies:

Yes, I write a new Christmas story every year (one of which was guided by Brian Thomsen's editorial hand, and published in WE THREE DRAGONS, along with Yuletide tales by TSR alumni Jeff Grubb and Jim Ward) and read it at the annual Christmas celebrations at the Port Hope Public Library, in early December. This year, I'll be reading from Rowling's THE TALES OF BEEDLE THE BARD, instead, but I will still write a story . . . and yes, in the fullness of time, I will publish a collection of said stories and donate the money to the library. Most of them are sentimental tearjerkers, aimed at adults "over the heads of kids," and all of them are intended to be read aloud to a family or larger audience. They are great fun to do.
In this context, "the fullness of time" means when I have enough accumulated for a book of decent length (probably not including the one that saw print in WE THREE DRAGONS).

So saith Ed. Who has not forgotten your many Realmslore requests, and wants a certain person in Australia not to fret about how long the return mailing is taking; the Canadian Post Offal is notorious for this. As Ed says, "Well, they're probably just starting to train a new mail-carrying whale, right now. Its union contract will give it a week or so off at Christmas time, and then . . ."
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  16:13:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah! This is like trickle torture! ANOTHER reply from Ed!
Malcolm asked: "Ed, please forgive me if this is too "forward"/presumptuous to ask (and tell me so), but I would like to know: would you like to hear (here, in this thread) from readers requesting lore in your future novels about the fate of this character or the descendants of that one, or even flashback scenes?
There are some Realms characters I would very, very much like to "see" more of, even if just a glimpse or two. I want to ask about specific characters but don't want to annoy you, and I seem to remember that in earlier years in this thread you or THO occasionally asked what we fans wanted to see.
So . . . ?
Thank you very much. (Hope you'll say yes.)"
Ed replies:

Yes, indeed! Malcolm, I would LOVE to hear from you and every Candlekeep scribe and casual Realms fan about people, places, and things you want to see more of, or less of, or never again, or any preferences for scenes (how much detailed battle/how little/how much intrigue/how much sex/etc.) in my future Realms fiction.
I can't make any promises (heck, I can't even promise there will BE any future Realms fiction), but I certainly promise to listen, heed, and even ask questions back at you!
Thanks for the prodding! (Really!)

So saith Ed. Who really DOES want to hear from you. All of you!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  16:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oh, Ed, you shouldn't encourage us!
But being as you have:
Here are my wantsies:

Bring back Mirt! I want to see more fat old men grumbling about not being young Conans any more, but still trying to be!

A Storm (or Alustriel, or even Filfaeril and Azoun) sex scene. Done properly, explicit but tasteful. For once. Even if it has to be non-WotC, hidden out on the Net somewhere.
Maybe you could write a novel, and provide a separate sex scene (elsewhere) that "fills in the gap" where in the print story you gently close the bedchamber door in the reader's face.

Elminster getting beaten in a spell battle. Not necessarily harmed, just beaten.

More Azoun, more Filfaeril, and more Alusair. Preferably while Cormyr is NOT falling apart around them, for once.

More Rangers Three, or at least Sharantyr.

More Waterdeep idiot drunken nobles (new ones), and more of the strange clubs they frequent, and - - oh, heck, I have to stop typing and go to work!
Other scribes, take over, please; I'm sure we can come up with HUNDREDS of story elements for Ed!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  18:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Okay, I'll step in.
Ed, if your future stories have to be "the new Realms," then I'd want to see descendants of some of my favorite Realms NPCs. Jhaele of Shadowdale, Piergeiron, Alustriel, Dove, the Knights of Myth Drannor, Mirt and Durnan of Waterdeep...there's a long list. I'd also want to know more about Alusair's fate, and for that matter what happened to a lot of people. Perhaps a collection of short stories, each dealing with someone imteresting and important?
I know you don't have a free hand in writing and getting published just what you'd like, Ed, but, well, here's some ammo for any arugments you may have with Wizards: one fan's requests.
Thanks for listening.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  19:04:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Not just one fan's. Many fans.

More Mirt, more El, more Mirt, the fates of the Seven Sisters, more Mirt, fates of the Knights of Myth Drannor, more Mirt, Scotti Amcathra, more Mirt, Cormyr stories, more Mirt, where's Vangey and, lest I forget, MORE MIRT.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  19:15:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

More Mirt, more El, more Mirt, the fates of the Seven Sisters, more Mirt, fates of the Knights of Myth Drannor, more Mirt, Scotti Amcathra, more Mirt, Cormyr stories, more Mirt, where's Vangey and, lest I forget, MORE MIRT.

What about Mirt?

Me, some of my favorite characters are the ones that either haven't seen much use in fiction, or ones that haven't appeared in fiction at all. I want to see more of Elsura Dauniir, Baelam the Bold, and of course a certain Cormyrian seller of turret tops and spires.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  19:51:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wow! That was quick! I was going to add a little something to my last question, but you already answered it.

Thank you (and of course Ed himself) for that quick reply - I'm hoping to have the map done by the end of the day.

As for that line - I'm going with cliffs, and the movement from Abeir to Toril is the perfect explanation for their formation (not all of Laerakond made it intact, and bits of it 'fell off', some into the sea forming island, while other areas merely 'settled' (like that particular edge of the sub-continent). I figure there were cliffs like the northern ones originally all around that coast, but the land 'broke' and a great chunk of it lowered to almost sea-level after the Blue Wind of Change (creating a new clifface set back from the original, much like the well-loved and much-missed landrise in the Shar).

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and Rimlost is part of Fimbrul, and located as in the FRCG. I have no idea how it made it into the Gontal web piece (which was obviously chopped out of what I wrote for the FRCG for space/wordcount reasons). Being as Bruce's name is attached to that web presentation, he might know.
Thats a bummer, because the name actually fits better with the locale in Gontal. There is no 'rim' in the Fimbrul piece. I guess I can modify the maps (and my homebrew lore) to show the opposite. Having my Grimwings come from the Glaur Barrens works just as well.

Edit: I just came up with an idea that works even better - BOTH locales have the same name ON PURPOSE! The Cult of the Dawn Titans helped to finance the construction of the Keep on the crater, and maintain a small 'chapel' within, ostensibly to help the soldiers with the types of magics priest are so good at. This shoe-horns in perfectly with the nearby ruins and the Queen's interest in them (in other words, she WOULD work with that group). Why the same name? Simple - if anyone overhears members of the cult talking about 'Rimlost', they would just assume the chapel at the frontier fortress was being discussed, thus 'covering their tracks' with a little subterfuge. <end Edit>

I sure wish I had Ed's original maps to work with, but I did follow his advice in his other Returned Abeir post and 'beefed-up' the unexplored, unclaimed areas. My fondest hope is that the new version meets with his approval, and any advice/pointers he may want to provide is much-appreciated.

Now, not to be a pest, but I'm almost finished and I need a wee-bit more help -

Sizes for the city-states known as the Windrise Ports?

I know the sword Lands are all towns, and that Tarmalune is a metropolis, but the scant text given in the FRCG doesn't give me any clue. I'm assuming cities, not towns, but I still need to know rough populations because I use different size symbols for small and large cities (as specified by the DMG).

Thank Ed once again for me for all his help, and just for giving us the Realms to begin with.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Nov 2008 20:35:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:02:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Markustay. Ed's at work at the library and offline right now (construction work locally), but I can tell you the Windrise Ports are indeed all "cities."
His reply to follow as soon as I can get it to him, I'm thinking...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:10:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Damn your fast!

I just added a long 'Edit' to my above post, and you answered me in the interrim. Please ask Ed (when you do make conatact) if that sits well with him. I'd rather explain away the duel-names then retcon anything this soon into 4e.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
"Fast?" she purred. "How 'fast' do you like it?"
Ahem.
I phoned Ed at the library desk, read him your edit text, and he says: "Great! Fine with me! Superbly done! Consider it official!"
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:33:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Just WOW - you ARE good.

And about the other thing.... you may be just one of the few women on this planet to leave me tongue-tied.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:38:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, no, I need your tongue free, but other parts of you tied . . .
Or vice versa (as in me tied, and heavy on the vice, of course).

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  22:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
Well, while Ed is asking what we want to see... (masochism much? )

Mirt and Durnan are always favourites.

The Seven (Storm, Laer and Syluné if I must choose. A painful choice indeed)

The Knights (I have currently consumed, with rapacious and indecent haste, 6 chapters of The Sword Never Sleeps. Although these days I don't often find joy in reading, this book has already provided it. Thank you!)

I will second the call for more about Glarasteer Rhauligan, Cormyr in general but certainly more Vangey (the worse mood the better) and dearest El.

More on Azoun would be good but really my interest lies mostly with the female denizens of the forest kingdom. The Steel Regent, for one, is keenly missed as are the Lady Laspeera, Myrmeen Lhal and Tessaril Winter to name but a few... but really, the person I want to hear more about the most is dear Queen Fee (Oh dear heavens yes). Not least because I have a soft spot for that particular regal lady that is sizable enough to show up on satellite images .

...um. Enough rambling now.

Edited by - Iluvrien on 11 Nov 2008 22:37:33
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  22:37:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

No, no, I need your tongue free, but other parts of you tied . . .
Or vice versa (as in me tied, and heavy on the vice, of course).

love,
THO

-

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  22:52:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

What about Mirt?
I'll ditto the call for more Mirt love.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  23:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Having recently bought (and received through the post) the sound track to the game Mass Effect by Bioware (a Canadian company), I can attest to the slowness of the Canadian post when shipping things overseas (it was almost to the point where I was going to get in touch with Bioware to see what happened).

But on to the meat of my post...

What is it that attracts people to Mirt? I have to admit, I don't get the admiration for him... He disturbs me pretty deeply to be honest.

As for what I'd like to see... Well I think people can guess - I'd like to see more of the female (more of the sort we've already seen - more Myrmeens* for me to develop fancrushes on!) and LGBT denizens of the Realms (give them the spotlight, make them strong (preferably heroes), and for the sake of the goddess don't leave them in the closet!), given that most of my favorites are deceased or out of the limelight in the 4th Edition future. (Sorry folks, I can't really see Wizards asking Ed to write very many novels set in the 3rd Edition and earlier past).

*Myrmeens who don't stay in the closet too, thanks.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  23:39:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

But on to the meat of my post...

What is it that attracts people to Mirt? I have to admit, I don't get the admiration for him... He disturbs me pretty deeply to be honest.
Well, as Ed said "the fat, wheezing, sly Mirt the Moneylender (take Shakespeare’s Falstaff, and add a dash of Poul Anderson’s Nicolas van Rijn and a handful of Glencannon), who’s crafty as they come but too old and slow for great heroics. In some of the tales, he teams up with Durnan, a “thinking-man’s Conan” (strong silent type who isn’t a barbarian ignorant of the lands he’s journeying through, but who, although sensitive, believes laws and authority are usually oppressive, and to be ignored whenever they get in the way)."

That's what does it for me.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  23:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Reading about Mirt and Durnan is a little like getting to see Conan or Fafhrd and the Mouser Twenty Years After. Mirt is one of Ed's most layered characterizations as we've seen him grow into the character as he himself has aged; from his first published appearance we've had this interesting binocular view of him as the young mercenary and the old merchant and ruler. He isn't a narrator/mentor figure twisted into protagonists, like Elminster and the Seven; he wasn't forged by other people, like the Knights; he's just Ed's foremost sword-and-sorcery hero and the lack of Mirt novels is one of the main publishing failures of TSR and Wizards of the Coast.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000