Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  04:19:55  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded OneSo saith Ed. Who is, one must remember, the Realms - - not Elminster.
love to all,
THO
He is the Realms, therefore he is Elminster; he is Elminster, therefore the Realms. I say: "Raise your glass to Ed anyways, regardless of if you think the chicken or the egg came first!"

By the way Ed: after "Elminster's Daughter," we now have "PDK's Daughter!"

I raise a glass - err... milk bottle - to her too!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  07:07:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

By the way Ed: after "Elminster's Daughter," we now have "PDK's Daughter!"

I'll go you one better... The Lady K and I actually named our daughter after Narnra.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  10:18:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
thanks for the reply, as for the NDA since it was mentioned, i never asked what those plans if any were, only asked if he had plans for his mind, not what they were.

oh and, I'll remember Elminster if i want to, he was the 2nd dnd wizard i ever heard of, the first being Raistlin, 2nd El, third Khelben, 4th mordenkainen.
Raistlin and Khelben the older are DEAD, just leaves the other two.

another question.
what is or was the FATE of Khelben:"Ravencloak" Arunson the younger?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  15:52:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
To PDK and to The Sage and Lady K,
Ed and I raise glasses (yes, of milk!) to you all. May your progeny prosper and flourish, and delight and impress not just you, but all the world.

(Ahhh, that milk was good! Same again, please; set 'em up!)

P.S. To all: Ed's days of being asked by Realms fans to father babies (or at least practice ) are probably over, but his days of being asked to name babies and perform marriages are still going strong. Heavy Responsibility Time [cue organ chords of impending doom], Old Bearded One.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  16:08:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, sfdragon, I see you're one of the reasonable people.
However, some others (notably certain WotC personages) interpret NDAs more widely: as in, just confirming that there ARE plans, in this case, offends against the NDA.
As for your questions regarding Khelben the Younger: that is also under current NDA. Which of course, all by itself, should tell you something.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  16:55:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To PDK and to The Sage and Lady K,
Ed and I raise glasses (yes, of milk!) to you all. May your progeny prosper and flourish, and delight and impress not just you, but all the world.
We both agreed that it was a fitting tribute to Ed and his work, especially since we had just finished reading Elminster's Daughter a few weeks before our own daughter was born.

I will note, however, that we had several other Realms names picked out previously before settling on Narnra:- Sharantyr, Kyriani, and Jhessail, to name but a few.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  01:11:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring a brief, delightful smidgen of Realmslore from Ed, in response to this early-February (08) query from Penknight: “If I may, I was wondering how people (elves specifically) of the Realms would say the phrase 'artistic license' when speaking about how bards like to change certain aspects of songs. Thanks so very much!”
Ed replies:

The elven equivalent of ‘artistic license’ is ‘moonbreeze’ (as in: “Moonbreezed through it, I noticed” or “A fair amount of moonbreezing, there”). This term arose from the crescent moon of Corellon Larethian, and from the elven notion that breezes herald (bring the scent of) change. More formal or pedantic elves may instead say “touched by Corellon” or refer to “the touch or Corellon” or even “Erevan riding Corellon” (referring to the elven deity of change trumping the elven deity of music and bards).

So saith Ed. Who was pleased by the question, BTW.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  04:24:03  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

“Erevan riding Corellon”
LOL! this oughtta bring some laughs at the next game! (I have a gnome bard who will be more than inclined to use this expression, especially in the presence of haughty elves...)
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  14:53:57  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
Kinky! :)

Very much appreciate the lore, THO. I especially cherish bardic and elven tidbits, so getting both at once is always a treat. Let Ed know we were pleased with the answer!

Edited by - Vangelor on 07 Apr 2008 14:54:38
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:28:29  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Bard/music themed questions...okay, I'll add a few for the pile.

Which of Mintipper Moonsilver's songs are the most famous and talked about?

This has likely been asked before, but I am unable to locate the info. What music of today sounds like that of The Realms Elves? I always think Enya's stuff sounds what I think would be elvish tunes.

With the centuries elves have to compose and practice, is some of their music out of bounds for all but the most talented human bards/musicians to play? I watch folks like Preston Reed, Erik Mongrain, Michael Hedges, and Andy Mackee play guitar and am blown away with the techniques they use. Give them 500 more years and I cannot fathom what would be possible.

Bards...While bard are great musicians; they specialize in producing magic from music. That being said, is it all that uncommon to find a non-bard (expert in 3.5) or a just a gifted commoner who can outplay or outsing a bard?

It seems like every NPC that has a modicum of musical ability is given the bard class. I would think it far more common the folks who "rock the house" are just regular people who are good musicians. Your thoughts?

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 07 Apr 2008 16:32:39
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  20:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message
A question to Ed or our lovely Herald of Realmslore.

What deities was present in the Realms before it's sale?

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  22:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Well, I'm neither Ed nor THO, but Ed's DRAGON article in issue 54, plus some of his GenCon talks since, make it clear that most of the deities familiar to us all (all of them covered in FAITHS & AVATARS and almost all of those its sequel, minus Cyric, Kelemvor, and the "Midnight Mystra" of the Avatar Saga) were in the Realms before TSR bought it in 1986.
In other words, it's a long, long list.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  22:59:47  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Another question for Ed:
I know that many cities in the Realms have gate guards who control access to the city, collect tolls, etc.
Two questions: how rare or common is it for them to watch for, and try to control, people and goods LEAVING the city (if no alarm has been raised)?
Also, how many places have the habit of, and resources to, set some undercover agents to "tailing" someone who got past the guards but were deemed borderline suspicious, or who were turned away from entering but that the guards think might immediately get "up to something"?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  02:35:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Bard questions to Ed, being added to the pile:

1. Legendary (or just plain well known) gnome bards of Faerûn, from the past but mostly from the present, and their main masterpieces, claim to fame, and famous adventures they went on.

2. Which gnomish deity would be the most appreciative of Faerûnian gnome bards and their work, traditions and/or musical style?

3. What does it mean to have the bard class for a Faerûnian gnome? are most of the 2nd edition gnome illusionist entertainer types falling in that category now, since the 3.5 bard class has access to all PHB illusion spells? Are Faerûnian gnome bards oriented more towards music or lore? Are they crafters, inventors or tradesfolk? the bard class can be so widely applied: I'd like Ed's take on Faerûnian gnomish bards.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  03:57:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As always, a post from Zandilar brings a smile to Ed’s face. Wherefore here is his response to this recent post from Zandilar: “Heya, The mention of names for Cormyrian royalty above brought to mind a question...
How do you come up with all those wonderful names, Ed? Do you have some kind of system for doing so? Do you think about consistency of sound for each language, or do you just jumble up some letters or do you have some other method? I know you mentioned that the word "lust" in Alustriel's name was a deliberate/conscious choice, but I'm pretty sure you also mentioned that it was kind of an exception rather than a rule...

About my favorite non-Chosen character's name - is the name Myrmeen inspired by the word "Myrmidon" at all? And how common a name is it? Are there other Myrmeens of note from history? Which language does the name come from (Scott Ciencen's novel "The Night Parade" has us learning that Myrmeen was raised in Calimshan - or strongly implied that was the case, but Myrmeen herself doesn't seem to be Calshite in apperance, so my guess is (most likely) Tethyrian (though I suppose she could be Chondathan or Illuskan, since people do immigrate/migrate from time to time - and, oh dear I've gone off on a tangent!))?

Back to my names query though - what names are "currently" (1375 to 1385 DR) popular in Cormyr (particularly Arabel, but I'd be interested in knowing about Suzail, Marsember, and smaller towns like Eveningstar as well)... What kinds of things to people take into consideration when naming their children - is it common to name a child after parents and grandparents, or are parents more likely to name a child based on their own whims without regard to ancestors... Nobles, I assume are more likely to follow the former, but how about common people? Are god names common for children? (Are there many Arabelans named after Tymora, for example, given Tymora appeared there during the Time of Troubles? Would such a name be considered good luck? )

I'm sure some of the answers to these questions have appeared in this forum before, and if so I humbly apologize for not going through the archives to find the answers myself... But my time is short these days.

Lastly, and I really have to slip this in knowing we're not likely to get answers, what do we know about Myrmeen Lhal's child, aside from who the father is, if anything? Gender and/or name would be nice. (This does mean I'm considering a sequel to my Blood and Snow fanfic - so it would be useful information to know.) (Jumping 100 years into the future would make it seem like some NDAs might get lifted, but I suspect we won't see that until after the new FRCG is published...)”
Ed replies:

Hi, Zandilar! First of all, Garen Thal was quite right to identify Myrmeen as Tethyrian. Let me go through your post in order so I don’t forget anything.
Thanks for your nice comments. Names are easy for me, for some inexplicable reason.
I coin names by picturing the character, physically, plus what I know of their behaviour, and then try to think of the “sort of sound” I want their name to have. Usually six or seven possible names pop into my mind immediately; I jot them all down, zero in on those that seem most right, then tinker with the spelling so it doesn’t seem too “modern” to the eye, but also not too cryptic when eyeballed (I don’t want people mispronouncing it or even worse, giving up on pronunciation and just sliding past it, whenever they read it; the “Mr. Mxyzptlk problem” [referencing the old DC Comics alien character with the unpronounceable name]; this is the old “why do fantasy names always have to have lots of instances of x, q, and z - - or start with s?”). Then I “try out” the character, in my mind’s eye, just WEARING the name for a bit. If it “works,” I’m done.
That’s the formal way. More often, these days, especially for minor characters, names just pop into my head as I need them, I use them, and then re-read the text afterwards to make sure the name isn’t unintentionally humorous or insulting or otherwise unsuitable, before the text becomes “final.”
Of course, over the years, for the characters I’ve named in the Realms, I always keep in mind “prevalent sounds and styles” of racial names, and the sounds of racial languages (hard “gaa” and “k” sounds in orc-talk, short and heavily emphatic cadences in dwarven speech, and fluid, flowing sounds in elven speech, for instance).
And yes, Alustriel (along with the VERY few other “hide a word in a name” instances) was indeed an exception to the rule.
Of course, I can’t take any responsibility for Realms characters named by others, other than to admit that I’ve screamed and yelled in private to make sure proposed names like “Spike” and “Lucky Strike” (both for adventurers; the first one was supposed to be secretly a prince, too) and “Abracadabra” (for a dragon) didn’t get used in print. (No, I’m not kidding!)
[Of course, there are many instances where I don’t find out about an unfortunate name until I read it, in print, at about the same time as any other customer who buys a new book or game product does. Sigh.]

When I created Myrmeen the character, and coined her name, no, I wasn’t inspired by the word “Myrmidon” at all. Though the level titles were fun, I never wanted them reflected in any Realmsian “person” names; it just seemed (and seems) a mistake in style. I was trying for some sounds in her name that evoked a friend, a vigorous person, someone passionate and warm when she wanted to be, and someone exciting (hope I squeezed all of that in there!).
In “my” Realms, Myrmeen is an uncommon name in the Tethyrian duchy of Cape Velen, and rare elsewhere. History records some Myrmeens as sorceresses and a few as wives of nobles and courtiers, but none are “of note” except the character of Cormyr we both know and love.
As for her child: I’m truly sorry, but there’s a nicely-crafted, massive NDA sitting squarely on that, frowning on all questors in that heavy-browed “the Eagle Watches You” manner. If it makes you feel any better to know this, it was created quite recently, to replace an older, smaller-in-scope NDA.

Yes, nobles are very likely to use family names (those of parents AND ancestors; most Cormyrean noble children actually have four or five given names), as are wannabe-noble rising in wealth merchant families (because they’re trying to act like nobles).
God names, on the other hand, are increasingly UNpopular for children because parents think it’s unlucky (dangerous to the child) and because the popularity and “reliability” of many gods, in mortal eyes, was shaken in the Time of Troubles (and will be shaken again, in the Spellplague). Yes, there are local exceptions due to divine deeds and appearances, but local clergy often have an influence in such matters. For example, in Arabel’s case, the “Luckpriests” prominent in the city at that time discouraged parents from naming children as “Tymora” (or any male echo) by saying the goddess regarded it as near-blasphemy and so the child might well be unlucky throughout life. Instead, they should use “lucky” names favored by the goddess (and revealed in secret by the priests, for a fee, of course); these included Ardusk, Brace, and Faern for boys, and Calatha, Deira, and Raele for girls (see the name lists later in this post).
Parents who travel widely (peddlers, caravan merchants, pilgrims, other wayfarers) tend to be the most likely to “name a child based on their own whims without regard to ancestors,” just because they’ve seen and heard more of alternative names, and had the chance to settle on one or two as “pretty” or “that sounds RIGHT to me; if we ever have a boy/girl, let’s call it that!”

The current fashion in Cormyr is to give a child one ancestral given name, but its own “new” everyday, “always-known-as” name, and although a few ‘old standards’ have been retained, new namings are rising in popularity. These largely reflect immigration from Turmish, Sembia, Tethyr, and the Vilhon, and popular individuals who have arrived in said migrations. So, the given names “currently” (1375 to 1385 DR) popular in Cormyr are as follows:

Recently popular Cormyrean male names: Andel, Ardusk, Beliard, Brace, Dannon, Eldorn, Faern, Griskor, Hrandur, Jeth, Lharak, Morlan, Roth, Wynter
(So, daily diminutives: Del, Dusk, [Beliard], [Brace], Dan, Dorn, Faer, Grisk, Ran, [Jeth], Rak, Morl, [Roth], Wyn)

Recently popular Cormyrean female names: Asmura, Baera, Calatha, Dalorna, Deira, Estele, Flornele, Iltara, Jakkara, Marantha, Raele, Sarelle, Tamphara, Thorn
(So, daily diminutives: Asmur or Mur, Baer, Cath, Lorna or Lor, Deir, Stel, Flor, Tara, Kara, Ranth or Ran, [Raele], Rel, Fara, [Thorn])

In these lists, Griskor, Hrandur, Jeth, and Lharak (of the male names) and Iltara, Jakkara, Marantha, and Tamphara (of the female names) have been brought in through immigration, and are more popular in Marsember and Suzail than in “upcountry” places such as Espar, Eveningstar, and Arabel (roughly: Waymoot and Immersea and anywhere north of those locales).
Conversely, in the upcountry areas, “old,” long-established Cormyrean names are more popular; in these lists, those names are Beliard, Brace, Dannon, Morlan, and Roth (male names) and Baera, Dalorna, Raele, and Thorn (female names).
“Thorn” has traditionally been given to farm lasses born when the parents were hoping for a strong male child (in other words, the new Thorn is going to have to take on the “grunt” tasks of working a farm), and as a result has been borne by a lot of what we real-world folks would call “tomboys.”
Andel, Ardusk, Edlorn, and Wynter (of the male names), and Asmura, Calatha, Estele, and Flornele (of the female names) are from the previous two generations of immigration, and come from Sembia.
To zero in on Arabel in particular, as per your request, the most popular names right now are:
(boys) Beliard, Brace, Brorn, Dannon, Danrask, Jeth [and its local variant “Juth”], Morland [not a typo for “Morlan,” but the local variant on “Morlan”], Roth, and Wendur
(diminutives: [Beliard], Race, Rorn, Dan, Dan, [Jeth], Morl, [Roth], Wen)

(girls) Baera, Calatha, Dalorna, Delendra, Labrelle, Marra, Raele, Sulue [or Tassulue], and Thorn
(diminutives: Baer, Cath, Lorn, Len, Bel, Mar, Rae, Su [or Tass], [Thorn]) Note that some local favourites appear here that aren’t in the “more widely popular” lists. Sulue is pronounced “Soo-LOO,” by the way, so “Su” is “Soo” (this name came from Aglarond to Scardale, then through the northern Dales to Arabel).

A design note: it’s important, when designing names for a population, not to succumb to the temptation to craft a list of “cool for adventurers plus dastardly villains plus beautiful princesses” names, and leave out more earthy, humdrum, ugly, and awkward monikers. Realism comes through variety that includes strands of “fit together” or “sound related.” A list that was all dashing heroes names like Amberjack and Raerel might initially strike the eye and ear as more catchy, but is ultimately less useful (except to the DM or fiction writer who names only major characters, and has a lot of “Unnamed And Soon to Be Dead Guard Thirty-Six” minor characters).

I hope this has been helpful, Zandilar. For me, strolling back through my lore-notes and updating everything, it’s been fun.

So saith Ed. Master Linguist of Faerûn, along with everything else he does.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Apr 2008 03:58:56
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  07:06:47  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
And yes, Alustriel (along with the VERY few other “hide a word in a name” instances) was indeed an exception to the rule.

Heh. I never noticed. Maybe due to the way I pronounce the name (Ah-LOO-stree-el). But I seem to pronounce stuff different than most americans. I know some people couldn't figure out what I ment with my version of 'Richemulot' (or 'Renier') at Gencon, years ago.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  10:08:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
well i have another queation, if he can answer it.
will the FR elves still contain the weapon proficiencies they had in 3x, or will they get the eladrin and elf proficiencies in 4e.

and the only reason im asking is that the only thing worst than a drizzt clone, is a legolas clone.

and who would win:
Mundarth the cloaked traveler, and each of the most powerful wizards of the FR one at a time

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 10 Apr 2008 10:09:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  12:25:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

and who would win:
Mundarth the cloaked traveler, and each of the most powerful wizards of the FR one at a time

"Who would win?" questions are highly subjective, and depend on a variety of factors, not the least of which is the opinion of the person asked. And even a lower level person can take out one of a higher level, given sufficient resources and time to prepare. We discourage such questions.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ithil
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  14:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Ithil's Homepage Send Ithil a Private Message
On the origin of things, I was wondering if there was inspiration from, derivation of or even a slight connection to the real-world myths surrounding Mithras and Mithraism and the faiths of Mystra, Selune and others like them? When not in the Realms I dabble at world creation, and the most difficult aspect is religion. The secret societies and cults of our past have served as good resources to me in that regard.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  14:54:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
I should just like to point out that Ed didn't include "lust" in "Alustriel" as some sort of joke or 'put one over on Realms fans.' It was an experiment to see if subconsciously, having the word in the name would reinforce a perception of the character, even if her "up close and personal" fiction portrayals (as opposed to what was said of her in the third person, by game designers writing in sourcebook material) was more straight-laced.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  16:21:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all.
I should just like to point out that Ed didn't include "lust" in "Alustriel" as some sort of joke or 'put one over on Realms fans.' It was an experiment to see if subconsciously, having the word in the name would reinforce a perception of the character, even if her "up close and personal" fiction portrayals (as opposed to what was said of her in the third person, by game designers writing in sourcebook material) was more straight-laced.
love to all,
THO

Well, I'll tell you what my own initial impressions were (though it's hard to remember, to tell the truth, as I first encountered the name years ago): I thought it was a beautiful name, and the "lust" part did jump out at me...although, it didn't make me think of "lust", so much as "luster" (ie. radiance, glitter, shine). I found that appealing, and the name probably inspired me to name one of my own mages "Allurasta", which was a play on the word "allure". :)

So, for me, the name "Alustriel" did evoke a certain aspect of the character, just not (sexual) the one that is so often brought up.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 Apr 2008 16:26:27
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  16:42:29  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Thinking back on what 'Alustriel' invoked for me, would be the word 'alluring'.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  18:45:24  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
I dunno, there's a certain amount of sexuality to Alustriel's character, but I wouldn't use the word "lust." Alluring, while probably more appropriate, still is not the word I'd have used, because being alluring would imply that people are drawn to you. Were I an adventurer in the Silverymoon area, I'd definitely be intimidated by the good lady.

I think I've just got a thing for strong women, but I'm pretty sure that Mr. Greenwood intended for Alustriel to have a certain sensual quality without being... um... lusty?

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.

Edited by - GoCeraf on 10 Apr 2008 18:46:05
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  19:00:21  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

I dunno, there's a certain amount of sexuality to Alustriel's character, but I wouldn't use the word "lust." Alluring, while probably more appropriate, still is not the word I'd have used, because being alluring would imply that people are drawn to you. Were I an adventurer in the Silverymoon area, I'd definitely be intimidated by the good lady.

I think I've just got a thing for strong women, but I'm pretty sure that Mr. Greenwood intended for Alustriel to have a certain sensual quality without being... um... lusty?

All the best.

I think someone hasn't heard about the hotub parties in Silverymmon!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  19:23:57  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Yet another question for Ed & THO, who has been in rare, naughty form on these boards of late

Since elves have been around for such a long long time, what is their general take on smoking? If they do smoke, how do they do it? A standard or water pipe, a leaf rolled deal like a cigar, or some other method?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  19:54:06  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
I'm on a roll....

Ed,

What does Loxo music sound like?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  00:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

As always, a post from Zandilar brings a smile to Ed’s face. Wherefore here is his response to this recent post from Zandilar: “Heya, The mention of names for Cormyrian royalty above brought to mind a question..."<snip>

Well, a response always brings a smile to my face, so I guess we're even.

Ed, thank you very much for your response, it was very interesting.

I do have a couple of quick questions (and comments), though...

quote:

Ed replies:
Thanks for your nice comments. Names are easy for me, for some inexplicable reason.
I coin names by picturing the character, physically, plus what I know of their behaviour, and then try to think of the “sort of sound” I want their name to have. Usually six or seven possible names pop into my mind immediately; I jot them all down, zero in on those that seem most right, then tinker with the spelling so it doesn’t seem too “modern” to the eye, but also not too cryptic when eyeballed (I don’t want people mispronouncing it or even worse, giving up on pronunciation and just sliding past it, whenever they read it; the “Mr. Mxyzptlk problem” [referencing the old DC Comics alien character with the unpronounceable name]; this is the old “why do fantasy names always have to have lots of instances of x, q, and z - - or start with s?”). Then I “try out” the character, in my mind’s eye, just WEARING the name for a bit. If it “works,” I’m done.

What is "too modern"? I have my own ideas on what that is, but I'd be interested to see what you have to write on the matter. (ie: Is it the way the name sounds? The use of letters? Placement of vowels?)

quote:
That’s the formal way. More often, these days, especially for minor characters, names just pop into my head as I need them, I use them, and then re-read the text afterwards to make sure the name isn’t unintentionally humorous or insulting or otherwise unsuitable, before the text becomes “final.”

I used to do it that way, now lately I've struggled with naming characters... I sometimes resort to name generators (and then tinker, 'cause too many name generators generate mostly unusable names). For my most recent novel (which is fantasy), I decided to use names from Earth and was strict on the areas I took them from so that there would be some consistency with the names (one lot of people used Welsh names, another Old English, and so on).

quote:
Of course, I can’t take any responsibility for Realms characters named by others, other than to admit that I’ve screamed and yelled in private to make sure proposed names like “Spike” and “Lucky Strike” (both for adventurers; the first one was supposed to be secretly a prince, too) and “Abracadabra” (for a dragon) didn’t get used in print. (No, I’m not kidding!)
[Of course, there are many instances where I don’t find out about an unfortunate name until I read it, in print, at about the same time as any other customer who buys a new book or game product does. Sigh.]

Oooh, that would have to be annoying. I could see how Spike might be a nickname, though it has too many associations for me with Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Spike aka William the Bloody. (It's fresh in my mind since I've just recently finished watching the entire series.)

quote:
When I created Myrmeen the character, and coined her name, no, I wasn’t inspired by the word “Myrmidon” at all. Though the level titles were fun, I never wanted them reflected in any Realmsian “person” names; it just seemed (and seems) a mistake in style. I was trying for some sounds in her name that evoked a friend, a vigorous person, someone passionate and warm when she wanted to be, and someone exciting (hope I squeezed all of that in there!).

Oddly enough, I didn't think of the old 1st Edition level titles (or even the Basic DnD ones!) when asking that question. But as for the feelings the name evokes, for me at least you succeeded.

quote:
In “my” Realms, Myrmeen is an uncommon name in the Tethyrian duchy of Cape Velen, and rare elsewhere. History records some Myrmeens as sorceresses and a few as wives of nobles and courtiers, but none are “of note” except the character of Cormyr we both know and love.

Do the people of the Realms name their children after beloved rulers and others (whether currently active or historical figures) they might admire? From what you wrote there, I gather there aren't too many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen then?

quote:

As for her child: I’m truly sorry, but there’s a nicely-crafted, massive NDA sitting squarely on that, frowning on all questors in that heavy-browed “the Eagle Watches You” manner. If it makes you feel any better to know this, it was created quite recently, to replace an older, smaller-in-scope NDA.

If Myrmeen's child is going to be a factor in 4th Edition, she's going to be a very old lady (of the dead and buried variety old) by then (or he, I suppose, I'm still hoping it'll be a daughter - too many powerful females in Cormyr have gone and have either been replaced by male characters or not at all)... Unless, for some reason, Myrmeen's child has innate longevity, of course, or access magical items/potions that extend life...

quote:
God names, on the other hand, are increasingly UNpopular for children because parents think it’s unlucky (dangerous to the child) and because the popularity and “reliability” of many gods, in mortal eyes, was shaken in the Time of Troubles (and will be shaken again, in the Spellplague). Yes, there are local exceptions due to divine deeds and appearances, but local clergy often have an influence in such matters. For example, in Arabel’s case, the “Luckpriests” prominent in the city at that time discouraged parents from naming children as “Tymora” (or any male echo) by saying the goddess regarded it as near-blasphemy and so the child might well be unlucky throughout life. Instead, they should use “lucky” names favored by the goddess (and revealed in secret by the priests, for a fee, of course); these included Ardusk, Brace, and Faern for boys, and Calatha, Deira, and Raele for girls (see the name lists later in this post).

These "lucky" names, are they actually names Tymora has revealed to her priests, or is it some kind of scam to part people with their money? I normally wouldn't ask, but given the apparent flavour/nature of the Arabelan Church (in particular), I wouldn't put it past Daramos to come up with such a plan.

quote:
“Thorn” has traditionally been given to farm lasses born when the parents were hoping for a strong male child (in other words, the new Thorn is going to have to take on the “grunt” tasks of working a farm), and as a result has been borne by a lot of what we real-world folks would call “tomboys.”

Interesting. I am sure more than one "Thorn" hasn't lived up to it though... they can't all just magically become tomboys. But I may be a touch biased here, since, to me, tomboy is more than just appearance - it's attitude as well - as much nature as it is nurture.

quote:
A design note: it’s important, when designing names for a population, not to succumb to the temptation to craft a list of “cool for adventurers plus dastardly villains plus beautiful princesses” names, and leave out more earthy, humdrum, ugly, and awkward monikers. Realism comes through variety that includes strands of “fit together” or “sound related.” A list that was all dashing heroes names like Amberjack and Raerel might initially strike the eye and ear as more catchy, but is ultimately less useful (except to the DM or fiction writer who names only major characters, and has a lot of “Unnamed And Soon to Be Dead Guard Thirty-Six” minor characters).

Very wise advice indeed, thank you.

quote:
I hope this has been helpful, Zandilar. For me, strolling back through my lore-notes and updating everything, it’s been fun.

Very helpful, thanks again! (And thanks to THO as well for her superb job of relaying our questions and your answers!)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  15:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

That'd be the case for some, yes, but based on all I've read of Alustriel, she is the type of person who attracts people. So, my opinion is that seeing her as "alluring" is appropriate.

quote:

Everyone sees characters differently, but as Alorin mentioned, Alustriel definitely has a lusty side (at least as Ed envisioned her), and a penchant for taking many lovers.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  16:13:57  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
...We may have conflicting definitions of lust...

Though I prefer to be a bit more articulate than this...
I mean that I don't think Alustriel's a ****. Yikes.

Mod Edit: Let's keep the discussion tasteful, please.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Apr 2008 17:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  17:00:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Hi again Ed and THO.
First of all I'll have to thank you for the recent answer about dancing Sunites, it helped get me back to working on my own modest attempt to flesh out that particular group of clerics (and made me realise that I'd gone too far in trying to counter the all-too-common view of Sunites as airheaded ninnies [they still have Wisdom as their #1 ability y'all], so I guess I'll have to, ahem, sex it up a bit).

Second, lest your pile of unanswered questions shrink: I'm curious to find out a bit (okay, a lot) more about how Aglarond is governed, and at the moment what I would most like to know is which person or persons have leading roles in the "loyal" opposition to the Simbul. I e, who are ready to publicly speak out against her policies, but nonetheless remain loyal to her as the rightful ruler of the country?

And a quickie: Could you mention just one thing, previously published or not, about the Church of Sune that you really think I should include in my article?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and Ed - "Gnomebody knows" - sheesh.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000