Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Liriel fans, we've got trouble!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  21:46:10  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As any real Liriel fan knows, she is now a priest of Mystra. The same Mystra that's getting killed off. What will happen to our favourite drow princess?! She had finally achieved a happy ending of a sort, and now this!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  22:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

As any real Liriel fan knows, she is now a priest of Mystra. The same Mystra that's getting killed off. What will happen to our favourite drow princess?! She had finally achieved a happy ending of a sort, and now this!

I know.

But alas, we can only speculate as to what will happen to her. Not something I'm in the mood to do, really...but I will say that I think Liriel is resilient enough that she wouldn't be utterly "destroyed" just because Mystra dies.

Not that I'll be incorporating that change into *MY* Realms, of course.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  22:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you, Rino! Liriel is, first of all, a survivor. She have the endurance to survive her father, Arach-Tinilit, Shakti, and the death of Fyodor... It will not the death of a goddess that will put her down, IMO. I think that she could go to worship Eilistrae (a rational move), or focus more in her thief abilities...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  22:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin
Liriel is, first of all, a survivor.

Exactly, I don't think she's the type to "break" easily.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  22:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the same opion. She got to far to be destroyed by that. She just ganna change her Allegence one again. But it is difficult to specalutate about that because the new "magic" is just speculation for now...

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french born

The courage to follow our dreams is the first step to achieve our destiny

The tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  22:57:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That does remind me that I'll have to find an interesting role for her in my alternate non-4th edition Realms . . . I don't picture it being her style to have any kind of "official" standing in the church other than just being a free agent, but I'm sure she'll end up doing something fairly important . . . hm . . . must cogitate.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  23:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Realms, I mantain her with the hatran. This create some interesting plots to my Unapprocheable East campaign!

Talking about this, I need to send you a PM about our little project, Knight! Wait for a message until tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  23:20:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I agree with you, Rino! Liriel is, first of all, a survivor. She have the endurance to survive her father, Arach-Tinilit, Shakti, and the death of Fyodor... It will not the death of a goddess that will put her down, IMO. I think that she could go to worship Eilistrae (a rational move), or focus more in her thief abilities...

Except we still are not certain Eilistraee will survive, after all those two her mother and her, agreed to a game of death of one of them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  23:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is possible that mystra may come back in a different form and reestablish the weave, it is possible. she did die before and have someone else take her job over. though i do think that liriel will survive, she is first and foremost a survivor though without magic it might be a bit trickier. I do hope that eilistraee lives, i love drow and lolth, but i want an alternative to lolth to be around, one of the reasons why i like vhearaun.
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  23:30:59  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to admit that I would gladely prefere Eelistrae to stay around. She is one of my favorite goddess...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  23:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herkles

it is possible that mystra may come back in a different form and reestablish the weave, it is possible. she did die before and have someone else take her job over.

As I just mentioned in another thread, that is unlikely since the designers have stated that they don't want another Mystra or Mystra-type character in the Realms (in other words--they thought Mystra as a concept was a liability to the setting). They killed off Mystra because they truly want to be rid of her, and they don't want her to be replaced with a similar character, either.

And just for the record, I do NOT agree that Mystra is a problem character.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  23:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herkles

it is possible that mystra may come back in a different form and reestablish the weave, it is possible. she did die before and have someone else take her job over. though i do think that liriel will survive, she is first and foremost a survivor though without magic it might be a bit trickier. I do hope that eilistraee lives, i love drow and lolth, but i want an alternative to lolth to be around, one of the reasons why i like vhearaun.

I find this a little dificult to happen, fellow scribe. Let me quote fair Rino, about this matter:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Because Rich Baker has stated (again, on the WotC boards) that he and the other designers had come to see Mystra as a liability to the setting--or at least, they felt she was perceived by customers as a liability to the setting. So killing Mystra off would be pointless if they were just going to replace her with yet another Mystra! It wouldn't solve the problem that they thought was there.

Heh! Rino beat me in the post! It´s too bad to have a poor Initiative mod.

quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

I had to admit that I would gladely prefere Eelistrae to stay around. She is one of my favorite goddess...

Agree. She´s one of my favorites, too. I just hope that she survive the 4th Edition...

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 22 Nov 2007 23:42:37
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  23:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even then, i'm really not shure i'm gonna play at all... The 4e edition does not interested me a lot for the moment...

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  01:00:02  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only way I will stomach the death of Mystra is if they give Magic and all of her portfolio back to Selune. After all, Mystra was born when a piece of Selune was shredded away by Shar... Selune/Mystra seem quite the same in temperament/goals. Selune has also taken a backseat for quite a while too.

Basically, I could survive the Realms without Cyric/Mystra (as for Kelemvor I like him where he is now... took a while to warm up to him but LN is definitely better than LE or NE for a god of death, if you think of it...) Of course, if they want to do away with him and give all his portfolios to Osiris, I'd be fine with that too.
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  10:21:43  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rumor has it that Corellon might get some of Mystra's portfolio. I think Liriel would pretty much slide in. (That is if you're into 4e).
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  10:34:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monch9

Rumor has it that Corellon might get some of Mystra's portfolio. I think Liriel would pretty much slide in. (That is if you're into 4e).

Well there was something said about Corellon gettng followers from other races and he currently holds Elven magic.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  12:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

The only way I will stomach the death of Mystra is if they give Magic and all of her portfolio back to Selune. After all, Mystra was born when a piece of Selune was shredded away by Shar... Selune/Mystra seem quite the same in temperament/goals. Selune has also taken a backseat for quite a while too.

This will be interesting. Having the moon goddes as the goddess of magic will be a good thing. And this is a little similar with some of our cultures, that portrayed the goddess of moon as the goddess of magic, too.

quote:
Basically, I could survive the Realms without Cyric/Mystra (as for Kelemvor I like him where he is now... took a while to warm up to him but LN is definitely better than LE or NE for a god of death, if you think of it...) Of course, if they want to do away with him and give all his portfolios to Osiris, I'd be fine with that too.

Yeah, I think that I can survive without these two, too. I´m one of those that don´t like too much of the ToT changes, concerning these mortal-that-became-gods.

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  16:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a real liriel fan so I don't know. How did you all know that she is now a priest of Mystra?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  16:49:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

I'm not a real liriel fan so I don't know. How did you all know that she is now a priest of Mystra?

It's in the Best of Elaine anthology.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  16:50:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's in the Best of Elaine anthology.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:03:16  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's in the short story "Answered Prayers," in Best of the Realms III.

Edit: Ah, beaten to it. Should've guessed.

Edited by - TobyKikami on 23 Nov 2007 17:03:59
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, unles someone changed it, she is only a very low-key priestess, as I would assume she simply converted from Lolth (insert any appropriate deity) to whatever came afterwards. The death of a deity does not necessarily mean that the priests die too, of course. I would be more concerned about the effects of the Spellplague, as this will, as has been canonized already, result in a brain-meltdown amongst thousands of FR wizards. And she is much more a wizard than anything else.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 23 Nov 2007 17:15:01
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:37:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Well, unles someone changed it, she is only a very low-key priestess, as I would assume she simply converted from Lolth (insert any appropriate deity) to whatever came afterwards. The death of a deity does not necessarily mean that the priests die too, of course. I would be more concerned about the effects of the Spellplague, as this will, as has been canonized already, result in a brain-meltdown amongst thousands of FR wizards. And she is much more a wizard than anything else.

Three levels Cleric was best interpertation for 3.X, she became fallen when she gave alliegence to the Dark Maiden as Patron deity. She however never went though an atonement to become a Priestess of Eilistraee. So she has already spent time without divine spells.

Though with the Weave gone any spell casting clearly is changed. Which clearly should effect her in some way.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:43:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, given that . . . (Spoilers)

Liriel managed to return a creature from the dead in the short story in question, I'd say that she has taken her devotion to Mystra a bit more seriously than her rudimentary training in Lolth's faith.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I've not followed up on 4E and such; can anyone give me a quick summary about the gods (in PM if it's too off-topic for this thread)? Also--

quote:
Because Rich Baker has stated (again, on the WotC boards) that he and the other designers had come to see Mystra as a liability to the setting--or at least, they felt she was perceived by customers as a liability to the setting.

Really? Did they give a reason as to why they see it that way?

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, given that . . . (Spoilers)

Liriel managed to return a creature from the dead in the short story in question, I'd say that she has taken her devotion to Mystra a bit more seriously than her rudimentary training in Lolth's faith.

Well, to be sure, Liriel did accomplish things a novice priestess of Lolth shouldn't be able to before - like becoming a sort-of-like Chosen for a little while - and also brought Fyodor back to his body by dancing to Elistraee even though she never became a priestess of the Dark Maiden.

Edited by - Karzak on 23 Nov 2007 17:57:26
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  02:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

She's my favorite godess in every realms of donjons and dragons, because she offer an alternative to the Drow, who were not created by Lloth but star later, after Corelon start dating her, and after exile her from the elven patheon. Eilistraee is something special for the Drow. I realy don't see the FR without her.

quote:

The only way I will stomach the death of Mystra is if they give Magic and all of her portfolio back to Selune. After all, Mystra was born when a piece of Selune was shredded away by Shar... Selune/Mystra seem quite the same in

That could be a great idea. I realy like Selune (and Shar) they are my favorite normal pantheon goddess, juste after Eilistraee.

Destiny is as great as our choice.
A situation will always have two side, a bad and a good.
May the song of the Dark Maiden guide the step of your life's dance
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  03:46:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But, unless the designers have misrepresented themselves or been extremely unclear in what they are stating, they do not want a deity to have any control over magic. They don't want any deity to have purview over magic, because they feel that somehow this causes problems. You may have deities that have some overlapping interest in magic, like Corellon and Selune, but I don't think that you will actually have a god of magic, if there is any kind of consistency between what they have stated to be their logic and what they are doing.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  03:53:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who said design team was clear on redesign?

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  14:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She returned someone/-thing from the dead? Heck, that's a bumper 6 more cleric levels on top of her other stuff. Puts her into the epics alright. Well, well ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  16:30:05  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been established on more than one occasion that, in the Forgotten Realms at least, gods sometimes perform miracles and grant abilities that would normally be beyond the powers of the worshipper(s) present. Another example is in Shadowstorm, where Lathander cures an entire village of disease.

Of course there's no rule for such miracles, but like I said in another recent thread, just because something isn't represented by a rule doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the setting . The DM could easily chose to allow some random miracle to occur (although it doesn't neccessary have to benefit the PCs).

However, I would be hestitant in allowing more than one such miracle to occur in a single campaign, unless that campaign specifically focuses on divine goings-on.

Edited by - nb_nmare on 24 Nov 2007 16:36:49
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  01:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

quote:
Because Rich Baker has stated (again, on the WotC boards) that he and the other designers had come to see Mystra as a liability to the setting--or at least, they felt she was perceived by customers as a liability to the setting.

Really? Did they give a reason as to why they see it that way?

Well, going by the tone of their comments (such as calling the Chosen of Mystra "omnipotent forces for good") the designers seem to agree with people who complain about Mystra and her followers dominating the setting and being too powerful, too good, and inclined to take the spotlight off PCs (of course, if that happens it's the fault of the DM, not the characters).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000