Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Neversfall: Chapters 6 - 10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  15:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Neversfall (Book 1 of the Citadels series), by Ed Gentry. Please discuss chapters 6 - 10 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  20:34:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read the battle and it's aftermath in Ch 6. Lots to think about here for sure. Who are the sophisticated and highly skilled warriors pretending to be barbarians? I admiy I do not have enough knowledge of the area to even guess! (another peril of being strictly a novel reader I suppose) As to how the warriors were able to appear from "nowhere" and disappear with all of their dead...I think it is related to how someone got into the "control room" to kill the wizard. I think the citadel is somehow behind it. I am thinking that Neversfall is either an enslaved/ensorceled Formian "Queen" or it is somehoe their Hive.

The whole concept and description of the "control room" was a little to computer like for my tastes, much in the same way cynosure was for me in stardeep. Seems a little to powerfull and as something "created" by humans, a little to unknown to the ones who know it best! Nothing that is ruining my enjoyment of the book, but just a bit offputting.

P.S. I like the way Adeenya stood up to Jhoqo and told him "not agian". She is one tough soldier. Easily worth a whole squad of Maquar!

P.S.S. Nice job in writing an what is so far a very atypical halfling. A pleasant depature from their usual depictions!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  01:14:47  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RW,

Good point about the control room. It's not for everyone. I'm glad it's not throwing off the larger fun for you.

Adeenya was a blast to write. I was lucky to have a female editor to help me develop a strong female character.

Corbrinn...ahh...Corbrinn. Such a blast to write. I chose to write the promotional short story about him because I enjoy him so much. I would ADORE to write a book (or several) about him.

I won't comment on any of your theories yet but would enjoy discussing them after you're done.

Glad you're still enjoying it.

http://www.edgentry.com

Edited by - EdGentry on 06 Dec 2007 01:16:04
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  02:54:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

RW,

Good point about the control room. It's not for everyone. I'm glad it's not throwing off the larger fun for you.

Adeenya was a blast to write. I was lucky to have a female editor to help me develop a strong female character.
I hope you are not married or in a serious relationship...if you are you just missed some serious brownie points!

She is seriously strong and confident, but not arrogant. Reminds me of my better half
quote:

Corbrinn...ahh...Corbrinn. Such a blast to write. I chose to write the promotional short story about him because I enjoy him so much. I would ADORE to write a book (or several) about him.
He is very un-halflinglike(is that a word even?)isn't he? Very complex, did not see the spell coming when he dropped the water on the fire. I think he and Adeenya would make a good duo, that is a book I would buy.
quote:

I won't comment on any of your theories yet but would enjoy discussing them after you're done.
I will look forward to that.
quote:

Glad you're still enjoying it.

There is alot to like about it for sure.

Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  13:24:00  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think he and Adeenya would make a good duo, that is a book I would buy.

I would LOVE to write that book. Well, I can hope...from your typing fingers to WotC's eyes .

Edited by - EdGentry on 06 Dec 2007 13:24:27
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  00:09:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I think he and Adeenya would make a good duo, that is a book I would buy.

I would LOVE to write that book. Well, I can hope...from your typing fingers to WotC's eyes .

Ed, you are doing a fine job writing Jhoqo, he is a bastard and I am really dislike him. I just know that he either killed Lori or knows who did! Can't wait to see Taennen have his "Oedipus" moment and rise up against his surrogate father.

Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  03:16:27  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh...any time a character elicits any strong feeling is a satisfying moment for a writer. Thank you for that, RW. I'm glad you hate him.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:11:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahh...any time a character elicits any strong feeling is a satisfying moment for a writer. Thank you for that, RW. I'm glad you hate him.

He makes it easy,

deleted because I mistakenly referenced an event from ch 12.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 10 Dec 2007 03:31:37
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  05:09:40  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To not spoil your enjoyment I will neither confirm nor deny any of your hypotheses. But please keep up the comments. Hearing a reader's thought processes helps a lot!

Oh, for what it's worth, I pronounce it 'Bass-koo' (short a sound like the fish).

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  00:33:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book is reading so smoth, I thought I was still in ch 10, but my prior comment actually pertains to ch 12.

If any moderators come across this scroll mayhaps they could move my prior post and Ed's reply to the proper shelf for ch 11-15?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  00:04:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its funny that Walker didn't think that Corbrinn wasn't halfling like, because I really get the feeling that he is very Realmsian halfling, at least when confronted with humans in a position of authority, i.e. charm them, then make yourself important to those humans by offering a service. Despite this, I like Corbrinn, so I'm glad to see him in the story.

The control room was a little jarring, but it didn't so much strike me as to Sci Fi so much as wondering how powerful an arcanist would be needed to make it, and how much gold would have had to have been sunk into it. It strikes me that the control room probably costs an order of magnitude more than the rest of the fortress combined.

I liked the philosophical comments and quotes thrown into the book. I really felt like I was getting the feel for this region of the Realms, and not just being told that the book takes place in a given region without much flavor of what that region is like.
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  04:51:03  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the region comments. I really love the Shining South. I am glad someone else enjoyed it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000