Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Berdusk Intrigue
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  04:26:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I narrowed this down a bit.

I'm going to set this game in and around the 1360's, which is about a decade before the Harper Schism because I was apprehensive if I could make the game interesting enough during and after those events.

For now that's all I'm saying until I get the rest of the characters. I have a small plot that I'm going to use but I'm still seeking any ideas that you all might be willing to offer.

What type of intrigue do you want? Something that might be some investigation like a rumor that some organization is actually the power behind the throne? Or do you all want something deeper?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  09:27:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I have never done this before I think I will go with the flow on this, as I dont know what taste the other players have. The intrigue can seem simple at the beginning and be deepened if it seems like we are handling it well though. Of course it can begin as any sort of adventure and have a deepening of the plot that gradually reveals itself to the players.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  17:00:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, as I have never done this before I think I will go with the flow on this, as I dont know what taste the other players have. The intrigue can seem simple at the beginning and be deepened if it seems like we are handling it well though. Of course it can begin as any sort of adventure and have a deepening of the plot that gradually reveals itself to the players.

Sounds good, that is kinda where my ideas were heading me but I was seeing if anyone else had something else in mind. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  20:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds good to me. Does that mean Berdusk may only be a starting point?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  20:56:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

That sounds good to me. Does that mean Berdusk may only be a starting point?

Aye, pretty much for both campaigns. Berdusk will be the starting point and, possibly, the place ya'll return to for a headquarters unless things change, which they probably will.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  23:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about using the Zhentarim and Red Wizards as force manipulating the PCs against the other organization? That could work out as "basic level" ("first layer") intrigue...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  23:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My characters backstory will, when fleshed out, involve the Zhentarim. So I'd love to see them there!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  00:23:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I tended to not want to use the Zhent's because they seem overused to me so I had other ideas. :)

But if the PC's write some Zhent ideas into the background I'll think about ways to use them.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  00:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, if you feel more comfortable using a less well known enemy, that's fine. I'd prefer that, actually. Bigger sense of discovery that way.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  01:35:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hmm, if you feel more comfortable using a less well known enemy, that's fine. I'd prefer that, actually. Bigger sense of discovery that way.

Your choice but when I was looking over the list of organizations I went, No, not the Zhents. To overused lately. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  06:37:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to know anything about what the adventure is about, but regarding organisations. Any group/person is OK as long as it is logical. That Zentharim members can be involved in some way (smugglers, traders, spies etc) does not bother me; it doesnt even have to be known that there are Zentharim ties. In the areas of Berdusk that is quite logical.

If it had been the Zentharim mages and priests of Bane are summoning the hordes of Hanna-Barbera to destroy the land that would be another case, but there is no risk of that here anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  06:43:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I don't want to know anything about what the adventure is about, but regarding organisations. Any group/person is OK as long as it is logical. That Zentharim members can be involved in some way (smugglers, traders, spies etc) does not bother me; it doesnt even have to be known that there are Zentharim ties. In the areas of Berdusk that is quite logical.

If it had been the Zentharim mages and priests of Bane are summoning the hordes of Hanna-Barbera to destroy the land that would be another case, but there is no risk of that here anyway.

Aye,

I'm just tired of the Zhents in general.... it's always the Zhents..... there's tons of other groups out there and a lot of them are unused or hardly used. :)

But as I said earlier, if people want to write some Zhent's into their backgrounds, don't let me stop you. Do so if it makes sense or whatever.

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Oct 2007 06:53:18
Go to Top of Page

frapast1981
Acolyte

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  08:10:37  Show Profile  Visit frapast1981's Homepage Send frapast1981 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quoting Jorkens:

This is good for me too
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I like Berdusk, please let me know if there are any "seats" open for this campaign.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  15:49:49  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are several secretive organizations that are active in the north: kraken society, beholder puppetmasters, cult of the dragon, ect. i agree that the zhents are overused, but with an organization as big and widespread as they are, there could be any number of secret groups within: church of xvim and cyric jump to mind in the 1360's(shortly after the avatar crisis).

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  16:00:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirreus

there are several secretive organizations that are active in the north: kraken society, beholder puppetmasters, cult of the dragon, ect. i agree that the zhents are overused, but with an organization as big and widespread as they are, there could be any number of secret groups within: church of xvim and cyric jump to mind in the 1360's(shortly after the avatar crisis).

Indeed and I think people are confused, these two threads are going to be used for my email game. :) And no on the cryic cause he's not a deity in my FR.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  22:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Kuje, if you want something horridly intrigue-based, there's always the Twisted Rune. They have time for devious plottings.
And for other non-Zhent evil groups that might be active nearby: Cult of the Dragon, Various Sharran sects (including the Monks of the Dark Moon and other Western Heartlands cells), errant/traveling Red Wizard plots, the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan, The Night Masks and the Fire Knives (Westgate is somewhat close to Berdusk), the Iron Throne, the Knights of the Shield, the Shadow Thieves of Amn, and though it'd be out of the way for them, maybe even the Rundeen and the Monks of the Long Death. There's plenty of organized evil to work with.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  23:05:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any additional room for this email game?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:43:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Well, Kuje, if you want something horridly intrigue-based, there's always the Twisted Rune. They have time for devious plottings.
And for other non-Zhent evil groups that might be active nearby: Cult of the Dragon, Various Sharran sects (including the Monks of the Dark Moon and other Western Heartlands cells), errant/traveling Red Wizard plots, the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan, The Night Masks and the Fire Knives (Westgate is somewhat close to Berdusk), the Iron Throne, the Knights of the Shield, the Shadow Thieves of Amn, and though it'd be out of the way for them, maybe even the Rundeen and the Monks of the Long Death. There's plenty of organized evil to work with.

Of course there are and I know all about all of these. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  17:41:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note:

I sent your first email a day early since all of your group has completed characters, or mostly completed.

I used the emails I had on file since I didn't get to many replies about which emails to use. If you don't want it sent to the email addy I used, then please contact me with a addy to use.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  04:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then, an out-of-character (OOC) question for my fellow party members:
Do any of our characters know each other as of Ches 19, 1365, when the campaign starts?
I talked with Kuje, and it's up us to figure it out if we so desire.
So then, my character in a one-line summary:

Sodon Ashgate, 24-year old LN tiefling clockmaker, alchemist, wizard (and Harper), who partially owns/rents Ashgate's Alchemy & Clockwork, a shop selling alchemical items and that takes commissions for smokepowder weapons, clocks, and minor magic items.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

frapast1981
Acolyte

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  08:42:48  Show Profile  Visit frapast1981's Homepage Send frapast1981 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My character is Adindrin Nightflower, 33-years old CN Half-Moon Elf rogue, expert in lockpicking,scouting and ruin search. He is come to Berdusk in search of a friend named Merron, who is an Harper.
No problem at all in knowing each other. What the other fellow party members think about this?

Edit: I think that may be useful to have a list of the e-mail address of every member, so that we can reply only to the character who are present in a specific scene.

Edited by - frapast1981 on 22 Oct 2007 08:44:14
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  14:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my character proberly aren't known by anyone ... though she just might know some tidbits about the others :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  15:44:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frapast1981

Edit: I think that may be useful to have a list of the e-mail address of every member, so that we can reply only to the character who are present in a specific scene.

Well, the character and the DM. :) And ya should have everyone's email addies since I sent the group reply.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  17:11:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note:

I plan on sending the group log out on Wendesday and then another on Friday or Saturday but for now I'm sending out the private logs as soon as I get them written.

Those days are also by my days, which are on the East Coast, so some of those days might actually be a day behind those that live over seas.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  17:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
depends on the time of day you ship them *grins*

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  18:02:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

depends on the time of day you ship them *grins*

Indeed, and I don't have a set time I had planned on sending them but it'll be sometime during my Wendesdays or Fridays. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  01:07:50  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible for everyone to provide a detailed physical description of their character? I know it kind of ruins the narrative to put a long "information dump" type description in your responses, but maybe we can get around that by providing them here?
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  06:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

Would it be possible for everyone to provide a detailed physical description of their character? I know it kind of ruins the narrative to put a long "information dump" type description in your responses, but maybe we can get around that by providing them here?

Most certainly:

Name: Sodon Ashgate
Aliases/Nicknames: None
Race: Tiefling
Age: 24; Born 22 Flamerule, Year of the Lion (1340 DR/308 NR)
Height: 5’10” Weight: 150 lbs.
Eyes: Red Hair: Black, with wide streaks of dark red/red-orange, worn in a pageboy cut
Birthplace: Neverwinter (presumed)
Social Class: Middle (Bourgeois merchant/adventurer/Harper agent)
Current Residence: Ashgate’s Alchemy and Clockwork
Deities: Oghma (patron), Gond, Azuth
Physical Description: Sodon appears to be a moderately tall human, except for his unusual hair colors, his gleaming red eyes, and the fact that he never casts a shadow. The only other sign of his fiendish heritage (pit fiend, specifically) is that touching holy water or a blessed weapon is enough to cause him physical harm (1d6/round of contact). He typically wears dark-colored breeches, a blue or green shirt, with a grey vest and grey leather jerkin, along with a pair of brass-framed glasses (he’s very mildly myopic), leather gloves and a single bracelet (containing a “Neverwinter knife”), swapping his usual outfit for a chemise or smock as needed for his work. In actuality, the vest is shiftweave, and able to transform into four other complete outfits.

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  08:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Name: Xanita Belera
Race: Human
Height: 4'11" Weight: 106 lbs
Eyes: Blue, Hair: Shoulderlong black
Physical Description: Xanita appears as a very petite girl with a stunningly pretty face with deep blue eyes and a finely cut black shoulderlong hair usually tied up in some kind of ponytail, she mostly dress in nicelooking dresses or other pretty clothes.

A slightly scraped, leaving anything your characters doesn't know unsaid as for now :p

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  11:41:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ograin.

Description: Somewhere between mid 30’s and early 40's, dark hair down to shoulders, large drooping mustache. Weathered appearance, hansom if one likes the type. Somewhat tall. Slender built. Heavy all-weather cloak and practical clothing of somber colors. Large knife in belt.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000