Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 is it possible to play d&d by yourself
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  23:57:21  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a friend that lives far away and its hard for if to make it to the games we play.Wondering if its possible to play if he could play just by himself,by following the rules and all as they are written and then join us when he can.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  02:26:06  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have of heard of play it your self D&D adventures before, but not recently.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  02:43:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There indeed have been single player D&D adventures, but also noted not published recently.

Yes it is posible to play as DM and player following rules at least under prior to 3.X by using random monster encounter tables. It of course basically requires the DM/Player to set up random condition starting point (d4 for starting direction) after setting random risks for a direction traveled. Self designed play can have very random results, but there were tables for friendly and unfriendly encounters.

Of course there would be no role play (in the acting sense) though a player with some imagination might be able to get some sense of it by established class/charater concept.

All in all it would be hard to be a fun game and clearly the dice would be a major factor.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  03:48:27  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the novel I'm writing, I play with myself : )
It adds more dynamic to the writing, I think, if I can't decide everything that happens myself.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  06:08:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aewrik

You do realize, don't you, the many, many ways this statement is begging to be misinterpreted?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  06:10:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Aewrik

You do realize, don't you, the many, many ways this statement is begging to be misinterpreted?

I wasn't going to say it but since you did. :)

And honestly, this whole topic made me laugh because it could be taken in so many ways.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  20:50:24  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I play with myself. I am however more fond of the times my girlfriend plays with me.

What were we talking about again?

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 16 Oct 2007 22:54:08
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  14:41:52  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I ask where this thread is going?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  15:02:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it needs to not go any further down the path it's turned down...

Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  16:57:30  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree people on here need to grow up, Can one person play D&D by themselfs?,is that better frased for you all.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  17:33:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's theoretically possible, but since D&D is based around a group, it'd be really different. I don't think it would be much fun -- because if he is player and DM, then he knows how to deal with every NPC and every trap, where every monster is, where the treasure is, what the mysteries are... It becomes little more than a dice-rolling exercise.

You (or whoever the DM is) should at least consider setting up a one on one play by email thing with him.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  17:41:13  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly's idea is a very good one. However, if he's the DM than it's kinda losing the player and if he's a player, no offence, I wouldn't let him/her. how easily the 20's come when playing by yourself. but it is good mental exersise.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 17 Oct 2007 18:08:25
Go to Top of Page

IronHammer
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:15:48  Show Profile  Visit IronHammer's Homepage Send IronHammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some friends of mine and myself in the past have made one person adventures for each other. We set it up in a turn by turn of the page format. Of course for it to be in any way fun you had to be honest with yourself. This was in no way as good as group play but when your bored and theres nothing else to do it was a good diversion...

I remember playing Dwarves and Elves as a character class...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Playing tabletop D&D by yourself sounds to me like it would be rather lonely. After all, part of the fun is the social interaction, I would think.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:23:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IronHammer

Some friends of mine and myself in the past have made one person adventures for each other. We set it up in a turn by turn of the page format. Of course for it to be in any way fun you had to be honest with yourself. This was in no way as good as group play but when your bored and theres nothing else to do it was a good diversion...

That would work, too... The objective here, at least to me, is to have this distant player able to play without actually running the show himself.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  21:27:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I will repeat, there were self play modules, no DM required.

Also 1st Edition offered away to self play the game, axctually BD&D did as well (Just AD&D offered a way to generate a random map better).

Self play in a large part however is still dice dependent. Though the player could effect morale reactions, by PC acting first and asking questions later (if still alive of course).

It is not as easy as playing with people that have some experience to help advise and guide.

All in all before the game started there were no DMs, once the game started somebody became the first DM for a group (or one on one). Some were not good DMs, others clearly have kept groups together for years.

So yes self play is posible, however multiplay is advised. With the internet it clearly is posible to get some sense of group play, but that is never the same as table top play.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."

Edited by - Kentinal on 17 Oct 2007 22:06:21
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  22:00:26  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good ideas,is there any games for the computer that are layout like the table top is if you understander what I mean.( that aren't 3d)like its layout like the actual broad game its self. like they did with braod games like monopoly,life,clue.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  22:04:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

All good ideas,is there any games for the computer that are layout like the table top is if you understander what I mean.( that aren't 3d)like its layout like the actual broad game its self. like they did with braod games like monopoly,life,clue.

Well a very old game "Survival in the Wilderness" (IIRC) provided a table top and the ability to have random encounters. Odds are you can not find the game, however you likely can find internet maps simalar to what was offered.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  22:13:33  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMHO, an RPG can't be played alone, because the basic idea is to share a imagined universe.

If there is no sharing, there is no conflict, so you can simply write a story.

The result of some suggestions above would be a board game, not a RPG.

Could a D&D-flavored single-player board game could be made ? Yeah, of course.

Edited by - Skeptic on 17 Oct 2007 22:16:57
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  03:41:41  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a solo dungeon adventures appendix in the back of the Dragon Compendium.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  16:03:57  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...

Personally i spend a lot of time writing down ideas for new adventures and new campaigns. After i get ideas jotted down i do my best to formalize them into notebooks or .txt files (depending if i am too lasy to write). Once this is done i consider the character creation rules i am going to use such as starting level, money, concepts etc.

Mind you to this point can take days, weeks months...

Now i have an outlined idea of what the first few paths are going to be for the pc's. At this point i want to test some of my planned encounters so i will build basic characters of the appropriate system i have decided on. Set up the encounters on my battlemap as how i want them to start. I then do my best to think of how i would play..setting up watches at night, using wagons for defense..etc. Then i start the encounter and play it out.

Now mind you when i get to this point my wife thinks i have lost my mind as i spend a good hour or more talking to myself...rolling dice...moving little plastic pieces across the table...sound effects and sometimes even background music to get me in the mood.

Conclussion: Sure its possible to play D&D by yourself.

~Corey~
Go to Top of Page

slay_4_pay
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  19:34:41  Show Profile  Visit slay_4_pay's Homepage Send slay_4_pay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

Can I ask where this thread is going?

Nowhere. Fast.

Playing D&D by yourself is pointless. Without the other players and the DM to interact with you are basically just making up a story, so why not forget the dice and just write a story.

I do however have a suggestion, about how to deal with your problem. If your friend can't actually make it to the game there are a few of ways you could handle it.

1. Speaker Phone - call him up, put him on speaker and have him play that way.

2. Instant Messaging - all of you stay at home and play through IM, it's very time consuming but it can work.

3. Play by Proxy - have his character played as an NPC or by another PC when he is unable to make it.

4. The Guest Spot - keep his character level current with the other PC's (assume he is adventuring on his own when not with them) and just have his character show up whenever he can make it.

Of course none of them will be as good as actually being there for a regular game, but they work in a pinch. And it is certainly better than playing with yourself (sorry couldn't resist).
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  18:15:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone ever read/ play the choose your own adventure books? They were great fun and good in a pinch, when no one else was around to game with.

Edited by - scererar on 23 Dec 2007 18:16:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  19:37:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Did anyone ever read/ play the choose your own adventure books? They were great fun and good in a pinch, when no one else was around to game with.

There was a whole buttload of those, from lots of different publishers. I think Choose Your Own Adventure came first, but it had many imitators. TSR did two flavors of imitation books: the Endless Quest ones (fantasy or sci-fi flavored, regular Choose Your Own Adventure-clones), and the Super Endless Quest (the same, but involving some ability scores and occasional dice rolling) ones. I had some of each, and in fact the first fantasy book I ever read was an Endless Quest one.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  21:12:08  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree people on here need to grow up,

why?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  22:47:54  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

I agree people on here need to grow up,

why?

Becasue some folks lack a sense of humor.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  23:15:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, the older I grow the less I find humor in.

IAE the question has indeed been answered a few timwes with different answers. Perhaps scroll should be sealed as complete as it is likely to ever be.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  03:48:32  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be 38 in a week. I'll grow up some other time

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  15:37:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

There was a whole buttload of those, from lots of different publishers. I think Choose Your Own Adventure came first, but it had many imitators. TSR did two flavors of imitation books: the Endless Quest ones (fantasy or sci-fi flavored, regular Choose Your Own Adventure-clones), and the Super Endless Quest (the same, but involving some ability scores and occasional dice rolling) ones. I had some of each, and in fact the first fantasy book I ever read was an Endless Quest one.

And, much to my surprise, I just discovered that the Endless Quest line is apparently being revised: Endless Quest: Claw of the Dragon

Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  18:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to play D&D by yourself? Yes. In fact, BioWare's made a killing because of it.

Without a computer, is it possible to play D&D by yourself? Yes, but there's medication for that.
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  18:50:01  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's possible to play alone, but it is still.... rather pointless

The only exception would be when I'm preparing a campain to test the encounters and the traps, but then again that's not playing, but play-testing, since I leave out the actual roleplaying parts + most walking parts and focus on the CRs and DCs (after all I want them to barily surive, not to die nor to beat the monsters up easily)

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000