Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Negative Portrayals of Helm?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lycurgus33
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  22:07:51  Show Profile  Visit lycurgus33's Homepage Send lycurgus33 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've noticed this playing through BG1 and 2 and ToB, and now Neverwinter Nights, and also some of the novels, that there's this trend to bash Helm, or his clerics--always making them the victims of conspiracies or ill fortune and the like. It's pretty brutal.

Why pick on Helm?

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 12 Oct 2007 06:31:47

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  22:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't forget the problems in Maztica with the Helmites.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  23:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because Helm's the only LN God who can have Evil Self-Righteous Hypocrite Clerics.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  23:26:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say a lot of it has to do with people not paying attention to his statistics after they read Lawful neutral in the alignment line.

To be fair, almost every major god should be reviled if having clerics that don't follow your true intent is an indication of the degree to which deities should be shunned.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  04:06:10  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
because he's named after a hat

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  04:29:46  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure they do. however, even the gods need someone to blame for their troubles and Helm has seemed to fit that mold easily enough over the years.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  05:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helm is a God of Duty and Protection, so he doesn't make much sense as a hypocritical bastion of intolerance. Helm is a SERVANT deity that really has nothing aggressive about his portfolio. Frankly, I always felt that Ur-Priests in large numbers would make an excellent addition to the setting though. Just as long as they didn't *know* they were fallen.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  22:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they hate Helm... it's just that the designers needed (apparently because of 4E game mechanics) to "simplify" the Pantheon. I guess that Helm and Tyr had "too similar" portfolios (which is also why Gorm and Haela were killed) and one of them had to be eliminated.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  23:08:46  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since after the ToT, I always saw Helm as Ao's little pet, keeping watch on the other deities for him.
I actually liked him for that... the one god Ao didn't think had gotten too arrogant over his divinity.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  01:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd say a lot of it has to do with people not paying attention to his statistics after they read Lawful neutral in the alignment line.

To be fair, almost every major god should be reviled if having clerics that don't follow your true intent is an indication of the degree to which deities should be shunned.

Agreed.

And I agree that Helm does seem like he's been picked on an awful lot over the years, even if you forget the recent "big reveal" in the GHotR.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Oct 2007 01:16:09
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  12:54:37  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aewrik

Since after the ToT, I always saw Helm as Ao's little pet, keeping watch on the other deities for him.
I actually liked him for that... the one god Ao didn't think had gotten too arrogant over his divinity.

Hmm, maybe this is why Shar and Cyric plotted against him.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11704 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  16:28:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I don't think they hate Helm... it's just that the designers needed (apparently because of 4E game mechanics) to "simplify" the Pantheon. I guess that Helm and Tyr had "too similar" portfolios (which is also why Gorm and Haela were killed) and one of them had to be eliminated.

I'm thinking it was more they figured Torm would take Helm's slack. God of duty & defender of the weak & lord of guardians... whereas Tyr sits as more the judge and jury.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  18:45:58  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aewrik

That's one of the reasons Helm is my favorite Power. Out of ALL the deities, only he wasn't stripped of his powers by Ao. Only he hadn't transgressed.

They should have given the loyalty and duty portfolios to him, and not to Torm.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 11 Oct 2007 18:47:02
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's because Helm had no ambitions.

He never strove to be anything more than a jailer and servant.

And because he never strove to be anything, he became nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  20:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

That's because Helm had no ambitions.

He never strove to be anything more than a jailer and servant.

How do we know?

The gods are supposed to be difficult to figure out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  20:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be thinking of Eberron.

The Gods of the Realms are thankfully very much easy to figure out.

And I just wanted to give a negative view of Helm to look at the glass half-full.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  18:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You must be thinking of Eberron.

The Gods of the Realms are thankfully very much easy to figure out.

Not according to Ed Greenwood.

The gods are not supposed to be easy to figure out.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe.

It depends on how you view it.

I prefer the active and interactive gods of the post TOT.

Ed is God on almost everything but I'll keep Kara-Tur and the TOT, thank you very much.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe.

It depends on how you view it.

I go with Ed's views on this issue.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  21:21:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that the gods represented in the novels act as gods in mythological stories, witch often show gods in a far more human light than the faith itself holds them to be. I have no problem with the "bowling Bhaal" story, but it is a religious myth, not fact in my book. Why should the gods be easy to figure out and why should their actions be the same? The gods are of an age and intelligence inconceivable to mortals and are heavily tied to certain elements of reality that will make tehir actions follow in directions not necessarily logical to others.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  21:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just have always felt there's more stories to tell in the Realms with the gods being approachable, overthetop, and emotional.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  22:51:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think that the gods directly acting in Fearun instead of working through their servants does more to make players feel like their PCs don't matter in the grand scheme of things than any number of Chosen or high level NPCs.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  00:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why you need to have plots where the PCs directly screw with a god. Unfortunately, it means that your PCs will usually have to end up Bhaalspawn or Chosen or something of that nature.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  01:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's why you need to have plots where the PCs directly screw with a god.

No, I can't speak for everyone but *I* certainly don't need plots like that.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  01:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess people wanted to tell stories about authoritarianism and misappropriated Helm for the purpose, and the pattern stuck. He's not the only god something like that happened to: look at the focus on 'arrogant' Lathander.

I think the Godswar gains what little dramatic power it has from being never before, never again in this age of the world, and loses it by being endlessly drawn out in dribs and drabs.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  01:27:22  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I guess people wanted to tell stories about authoritarianism and misappropriated Helm for the purpose, and the pattern stuck. He's not the only god something like that happened to: look at the focus on 'arrogant' Lathander.

You're probably right on that one.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  01:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I think the Godswar gains what little dramatic power it has from being never before, never again in this age of the world, and loses it by being endlessly drawn out in dribs and drabs.

I agree on both points (as usual).

Go to Top of Page

lycurgus33
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  03:39:23  Show Profile  Visit lycurgus33's Homepage Send lycurgus33 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*spoilers*

In BG1 we have a devotee of Helm given a cursed sword and thus goes crazy and wipes out his kin. In NWN1 Helm's Hold gets wiped out, and Thick as Moss gets hung, and her paladin lover goes crazy...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  03:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lycurgus33

*spoilers*

In BG1 we have a devotee of Helm given a cursed sword and thus goes crazy and wipes out his kin.

But overall I think someone (or maybe a lot of people) who developed the BG series really liked Helm. His followers and temples are pretty common in those games (and they aren't portrayed more negatively than positively), and Watcher's Keep (in ToB) is all about Helm.

quote:
In NWN1 Helm's Hold gets wiped out, and Thick as Moss gets hung, and her paladin lover goes crazy...

Fenthick Moss and Aribeth were Tyrrans.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  04:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  04:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I'm sorry for your loss.

my loss too. I agree with Rinonalyrna.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000