Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 TOP 5

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
quajack Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:18:23
Let's go people! List your top 5 favorite Realms novels. And if you're feeling ambitious,tell us why you like 'em.

1. Evermeet: Just picture the Silmarillion with 10 times more readability.

2. Cormyr: The past/present theme works wonders on my opinion. Nothing beats plot development interspersed with history.

3. Prince of Lies: If you were dissappointed w/ the Avatar Trilogy, this book makes up for it.

4. Elminster: Making of a Mage: Greenwood's best. This book has more Realms flavor than Drizzt's schmitars.

5. Masquerades: To truley enjoy this Harpers gem one must first immerse oneself in the Finder's Stone Trilogy.

Notable mention: Daughter of the Drow, Raven's Bluff, Homeland, The Shattered Mask, anything by Richard Baker, and Crusade.

I have read every FR novel published before 2002. After that, if any novel truley kicked butt, I will comment on that in the future.
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blueblade Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 16:34:25
This is really hard for me.
Here goes:
1. Stormlight (tied with) Homeland
2. City of Splendors
3. Elfshadow
4. Spellfire (tied with) Elfsong
5. Swords of Eveningstar (tied with) Blackstaff
...6 would be Elminster: The Making Of A Mage
and 7 would be Evermeet.
If I can include short story collections, then The Best of the Realms 2 (Ed's stories) would make number 4 on the list, bumping everything else down a notch.
These are really subjective favorites, of course.
I asked my uncle, a book editor and longtime fantasy fiction collector, to rate all the Realms books, and he said some are so badly written that he shudders, and he'd put Elaine Cunningham and Ed Greenwood as the only "serious consideration" writers on any list he compiled, with Grubb & Novak and Salvatore (just for Homeland) as the only others who might rank. He hasn't read Blackstaff yet, though, because I just gave it to him.
Chosen of Bane Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 21:31:50
Hmm, I suppose I'll jump on board with this poll...

In no particular order (Trilogies listed as one book)...

Crucible, the Trial of Cyric the Mad
Erevis Cale Trilogy
Cormyr Saga
Sembia Series (minus Heirs of Prophecy)
Song and Swords
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 15:37:05
Sheesh, I read so many books...

in no particular order:

Evermeet
Return of the Archwizards trilogy
Elfshadow
Cormyr saga
Councilors & Kings trilogy

Yea, yea, I mention entire trilogies cuz I consider them one book since the story is only done with the final book
Xysma Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 15:23:42
Ok, here goes....
1. The Magehound Elaine Cunningham
2. Blackstaff Steven Schend
3. Swords of Eveningstar Ed Greenwood
4. Dawn of Night Paul Kemp
5. Azure Bonds Jeff Grubb & Kate Novak
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 13:58:37
In no particular order:

1) Daughter of the Drow, by Elaine Cunningham
2) Tangled Webs, by Elaine Cunningham
3) Windwalker, by Elaine Cunningham
4) Lady of Poison, by Bruce Cordell
5) Blackstaff, by Steven Schend
Lysan Lurraxol Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 09:13:51
I've only read about 30 something of the novels, but I do have a top 5 (though there wasn't much competition).
1) City of Splendours (It was very different to most Realms books)
2) Ghostwalker (wonderfully gothic)
3) Prince of Lies (Only one in the Avatar Series Mystra's portrayed well)
4) Evermeet (Lots of lore)
5) Dissolution (I loved Faeryl, pity about Insurrection
Brakkart Posted - 16 Aug 2006 : 03:08:46
Top five books? Tough but I'll have a go. In no particular order here's my choices:

1. City of Ravens by Richard Baker.
2. The Alabaster Staff by Edward Bolme.
3. Blackstaff by Steven E. Schend.
4. Evermeet by Elaine Cunningham.
5. The Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy by Richard Lee Byers (can't choose between them).

Honorable mentions to: The Last Mythal Trilogy, War of the Spider Queen (great story, shame nothing much happened), Queen of the Depths, Elfshadow.
FridayThe13th Posted - 16 Aug 2006 : 02:53:13
so far its:

1. Servant of the Shard by R.A Salvatore(very nice book with lots of action and detail)

2. Elminster: Making of a Mage by Ed Greenwood(just finished it, and let me tell you, its a winner)

3. The second book of War of the Spider Queen(forgot its name), in my opinion definatly the best in the series.

4. Promise of the Witch King by R.A Salvatore(just like the first one, but not quite as good)

5. The entire Legacy of the Drow Saga, very good series.

This is very likely to change, as I have not been in FR for too long and am currently reading more books.
ode904 Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 14:07:55
1. R.A. Salvatore: Sojourn
2. Starlight & Shadows: Windwalker
3. Last Mythal: Forsaken house( I so love to read about those big elven armies and the magics they use)
4. Return of the Archwizards: The Siege
5. Songs & Swords: Dream Spheres
Faramicos Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 13:38:50
"THE ROSE WINDOW" is in "REALMS OF MYSTERY"... I stumbled upon it by coincidence and loved every page of it. After having read it, i used it in an adventure, where i had the party arive in a small desolate city. The short story was used as a handout the party found which set of the adventure...

This will be understood by people who have read the story. I hope others will read the story and apreciate the great mystery and dark setting described in it. It is highly recommendable.
Ergdusch Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 13:04:17
1. Crucible: the Trail of Cyric the Mad by Denning
2. Elminster: Making of a Mage by Greenwood
3. Yellow Silk by Bassingthwaite
4. Silverfall: Stories of the seven Sisters by Greenwood
5. Insurrection by Reid
Kajehase Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 11:56:44
The easiest to get would be Best of the Realms I.
Lord Rad Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 10:47:39
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

quote:

3. The Rose Window by Monte Cook
(A short story packed with mystery and dark forces despite the limitations of a short story)

Aye. Not a novel, but one of the best Realms short stories.

Wow, I never imagined a short story would make it into a top 5. Which anthology is this in?

I LOVED Monte's The Glass Prison so will have to take time to read this short.
Paec_djinn Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 09:08:00
quote:

(A short story packed with mystery and dark forces despite the limitations of a short story)

Aye. Not a novel, but one of the best Realms short stories.
Conlon Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 07:22:31
In no particular order:
1. Evermeet - almost 500 pages of elvish lore lovingly described by one of the Realms' best authors
2. Blackstaff - without giving anything away, one of the most loved and legendary characters of the Realms "done justice" by another great scribe
3. Bloodwalk - a breakout novel by a new author. Davis paints pictures vividly in your mind with his evocative descriptions. Just cool.
4. City of Ravens - a fun, engaging book with an excellent main character that you just want to read more about. From the author who brought us the terrific Last Mythal.
5. Darkwalker on Moonshae - this was the first Realms book I read. Unfortunately, I forget much of the storyline, but I do remember the way the book transported me to the Realms and made me want to learn more about it. For that alone, this series makes my list.

Notable mentions: Last Mythal, Crystal Shard, Elminster series. Do I have to stop at 5?!
scererar Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 05:06:27
1. spellfire
2. songs and swords
3. finders stone
4. erevis cale
5. counselors and kings

sorry, couldn't go by individual titles, too hard to choose
Reefy Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 02:33:21
Right, let's have a go at this...
1) Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham - I love Elaine's writing and characters, but this one has it all for me.
2) The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore - It will always be important to me as it was the book that really got me into the Realms.
3) Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham - See Elfsong.
4) City of Ravens by Richard Baker - A great stand-alone novel featuring the best bits of a caper and a mystery.
5) Blackstaff by Steven E. Schend - Sure, it may be because I finished it this morning and really enjoyed it, but let's go with it.
Ignorance Personified Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 22:26:53
1. Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore
2. Azure Bonds by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb
3. Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
4. City of Ravens by Richard Baker
5. The Spine of the World by R.A. Salvatore
Faramicos Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 17:42:06
1. Homeland by R.A. Salvatore
(Loves how we get to follow the birth and youth of a legend)

2. Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad by Troy Denning
(Well written powerplay between gods)

4. Waterdeep by Troy Denning
(Gods are falling and new ones rise as the realms rumble under the Times of Trouble)

5. Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore
(The view of the dark side of the realms with thiefs and assassins is briliant in this book)
Kajehase Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 14:19:18
Very difficult question but...today (these lists tend to change around I've noticed) at least, I'd say it would be:
1. Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
2. Windwalker by Elaine Cunningham
3. Dream Spheres by Elaine Cunningham
4. Tangled Webs by Elaine Cunningham
5. Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham.

Have I mentioned I think Elaine's writing is a step ahead of that of any other writer working in the Realms (which is not an attack on the other writers, just praise for Elaine)
Jorkens Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 10:22:45
This is not easy, but my list would have to be:

1. Night Parade. Scott Ciencin
2. Spellfire. Ed Greenwood.
3. Darkwalker on Moonshae. Doug Niles
4. Azure Bonds. Jeff Grubb & kate Novak
5. Elfsong. Elaine Cunningham.

Note. Both with Niles' and Greenwood it was a hard choice as both Moonshae series are among my favorites and most of Eds with the exception of Shadow of the Avatar trilogy. Evermeet, Soldiers of Ice and The Ogre Pact almost made the cut.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 09:10:33
1. Evermeet - Elaine Cunningham
2. Queen of the Depths - Richard Lee Byers
3. Insurrection - Thomas M Reid
4. Crucible - Troy Denning
5. Daughter of the Drow - Elaine Cunningham
Paec_djinn Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 08:25:47
Not going to comment on each book, but rest assured, these books are some which whole special places in my heart for unique, original and epic plots and characters plus overall enjoyment factor:

1. Crucible: Trials of Cyric the Mad - Troy Denning
2. Condemnation - Richard Baker
3. Annihilation - Philip Athans
4. Servant of the Shard - R. A. Salvatore
5. The Yellow Silk - Don Bassingthwaite
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:29:42
Not sure about top 5, but Evermeet is by far my single favorite, and one of my favorite novels in general.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000