Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 TOP 5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:18:23  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let's go people! List your top 5 favorite Realms novels. And if you're feeling ambitious,tell us why you like 'em.

1. Evermeet: Just picture the Silmarillion with 10 times more readability.

2. Cormyr: The past/present theme works wonders on my opinion. Nothing beats plot development interspersed with history.

3. Prince of Lies: If you were dissappointed w/ the Avatar Trilogy, this book makes up for it.

4. Elminster: Making of a Mage: Greenwood's best. This book has more Realms flavor than Drizzt's schmitars.

5. Masquerades: To truley enjoy this Harpers gem one must first immerse oneself in the Finder's Stone Trilogy.

Notable mention: Daughter of the Drow, Raven's Bluff, Homeland, The Shattered Mask, anything by Richard Baker, and Crusade.

I have read every FR novel published before 2002. After that, if any novel truley kicked butt, I will comment on that in the future.

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:29:42  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure about top 5, but Evermeet is by far my single favorite, and one of my favorite novels in general.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  08:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not going to comment on each book, but rest assured, these books are some which whole special places in my heart for unique, original and epic plots and characters plus overall enjoyment factor:

1. Crucible: Trials of Cyric the Mad - Troy Denning
2. Condemnation - Richard Baker
3. Annihilation - Philip Athans
4. Servant of the Shard - R. A. Salvatore
5. The Yellow Silk - Don Bassingthwaite

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 12 Aug 2006 08:34:37
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  09:10:33  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Evermeet - Elaine Cunningham
2. Queen of the Depths - Richard Lee Byers
3. Insurrection - Thomas M Reid
4. Crucible - Troy Denning
5. Daughter of the Drow - Elaine Cunningham

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:22:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is not easy, but my list would have to be:

1. Night Parade. Scott Ciencin
2. Spellfire. Ed Greenwood.
3. Darkwalker on Moonshae. Doug Niles
4. Azure Bonds. Jeff Grubb & kate Novak
5. Elfsong. Elaine Cunningham.

Note. Both with Niles' and Greenwood it was a hard choice as both Moonshae series are among my favorites and most of Eds with the exception of Shadow of the Avatar trilogy. Evermeet, Soldiers of Ice and The Ogre Pact almost made the cut.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  14:19:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very difficult question but...today (these lists tend to change around I've noticed) at least, I'd say it would be:
1. Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
2. Windwalker by Elaine Cunningham
3. Dream Spheres by Elaine Cunningham
4. Tangled Webs by Elaine Cunningham
5. Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham.

Have I mentioned I think Elaine's writing is a step ahead of that of any other writer working in the Realms (which is not an attack on the other writers, just praise for Elaine)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  17:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Homeland by R.A. Salvatore
(Loves how we get to follow the birth and youth of a legend)

2. Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad by Troy Denning
(Well written powerplay between gods)

3. The Rose Window by Monte Cook
(A short story packed with mystery and dark forces despite the limitations of a short story)

4. Waterdeep by Troy Denning
(Gods are falling and new ones rise as the realms rumble under the Times of Trouble)

5. Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore
(The view of the dark side of the realms with thiefs and assassins is briliant in this book)

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"

Edited by - Faramicos on 13 Aug 2006 17:42:44
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  22:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore
2. Azure Bonds by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb
3. Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
4. City of Ravens by Richard Baker
5. The Spine of the World by R.A. Salvatore

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, let's have a go at this...
1) Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham - I love Elaine's writing and characters, but this one has it all for me.
2) The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore - It will always be important to me as it was the book that really got me into the Realms.
3) Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham - See Elfsong.
4) City of Ravens by Richard Baker - A great stand-alone novel featuring the best bits of a caper and a mystery.
5) Blackstaff by Steven E. Schend - Sure, it may be because I finished it this morning and really enjoyed it, but let's go with it.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  05:06:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. spellfire
2. songs and swords
3. finders stone
4. erevis cale
5. counselors and kings

sorry, couldn't go by individual titles, too hard to choose
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  07:22:31  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In no particular order:
1. Evermeet - almost 500 pages of elvish lore lovingly described by one of the Realms' best authors
2. Blackstaff - without giving anything away, one of the most loved and legendary characters of the Realms "done justice" by another great scribe
3. Bloodwalk - a breakout novel by a new author. Davis paints pictures vividly in your mind with his evocative descriptions. Just cool.
4. City of Ravens - a fun, engaging book with an excellent main character that you just want to read more about. From the author who brought us the terrific Last Mythal.
5. Darkwalker on Moonshae - this was the first Realms book I read. Unfortunately, I forget much of the storyline, but I do remember the way the book transported me to the Realms and made me want to learn more about it. For that alone, this series makes my list.

Notable mentions: Last Mythal, Crystal Shard, Elminster series. Do I have to stop at 5?!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.

Edited by - Conlon on 14 Aug 2006 07:30:48
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  09:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(A short story packed with mystery and dark forces despite the limitations of a short story)

Aye. Not a novel, but one of the best Realms short stories.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  10:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

quote:

Aye. Not a novel, but one of the best Realms short stories.

Wow, I never imagined a short story would make it into a top 5. Which anthology is this in?

I LOVED Monte's The Glass Prison so will have to take time to read this short.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  11:56:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easiest to get would be Best of the Realms I.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  13:04:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Crucible: the Trail of Cyric the Mad by Denning
2. Elminster: Making of a Mage by Greenwood
3. Yellow Silk by Bassingthwaite
4. Silverfall: Stories of the seven Sisters by Greenwood
5. Insurrection by Reid

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  13:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"THE ROSE WINDOW" is in "REALMS OF MYSTERY"... I stumbled upon it by coincidence and loved every page of it. After having read it, i used it in an adventure, where i had the party arive in a small desolate city. The short story was used as a handout the party found which set of the adventure...

This will be understood by people who have read the story. I hope others will read the story and apreciate the great mystery and dark setting described in it. It is highly recommendable.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  14:07:55  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. R.A. Salvatore: Sojourn
2. Starlight & Shadows: Windwalker
3. Last Mythal: Forsaken house( I so love to read about those big elven armies and the magics they use)
4. Return of the Archwizards: The Siege
5. Songs & Swords: Dream Spheres
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  02:53:13  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so far its:

1. Servant of the Shard by R.A Salvatore(very nice book with lots of action and detail)

2. Elminster: Making of a Mage by Ed Greenwood(just finished it, and let me tell you, its a winner)

3. The second book of War of the Spider Queen(forgot its name), in my opinion definatly the best in the series.

4. Promise of the Witch King by R.A Salvatore(just like the first one, but not quite as good)

5. The entire Legacy of the Drow Saga, very good series.

This is very likely to change, as I have not been in FR for too long and am currently reading more books.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  03:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Top five books? Tough but I'll have a go. In no particular order here's my choices:

1. City of Ravens by Richard Baker.
2. The Alabaster Staff by Edward Bolme.
3. Blackstaff by Steven E. Schend.
4. Evermeet by Elaine Cunningham.
5. The Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy by Richard Lee Byers (can't choose between them).

Honorable mentions to: The Last Mythal Trilogy, War of the Spider Queen (great story, shame nothing much happened), Queen of the Depths, Elfshadow.

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196
Go to Top of Page

Lysan Lurraxol
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  09:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Lysan Lurraxol's Homepage Send Lysan Lurraxol a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read about 30 something of the novels, but I do have a top 5 (though there wasn't much competition).
1) City of Splendours (It was very different to most Realms books)
2) Ghostwalker (wonderfully gothic)
3) Prince of Lies (Only one in the Avatar Series Mystra's portrayed well)
4) Evermeet (Lots of lore)
5) Dissolution (I loved Faeryl, pity about Insurrection

http://lysan.livejournal.com
"Come join me in the dark..."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  13:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In no particular order:

1) Daughter of the Drow, by Elaine Cunningham
2) Tangled Webs, by Elaine Cunningham
3) Windwalker, by Elaine Cunningham
4) Lady of Poison, by Bruce Cordell
5) Blackstaff, by Steven Schend

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  15:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here goes....
1. The Magehound Elaine Cunningham
2. Blackstaff Steven Schend
3. Swords of Eveningstar Ed Greenwood
4. Dawn of Night Paul Kemp
5. Azure Bonds Jeff Grubb & Kate Novak

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  15:37:05  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, I read so many books...

in no particular order:

Evermeet
Return of the Archwizards trilogy
Elfshadow
Cormyr saga
Councilors & Kings trilogy

Yea, yea, I mention entire trilogies cuz I consider them one book since the story is only done with the final book

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  21:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I suppose I'll jump on board with this poll...

In no particular order (Trilogies listed as one book)...

Crucible, the Trial of Cyric the Mad
Erevis Cale Trilogy
Cormyr Saga
Sembia Series (minus Heirs of Prophecy)
Song and Swords
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  16:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really hard for me.
Here goes:
1. Stormlight (tied with) Homeland
2. City of Splendors
3. Elfshadow
4. Spellfire (tied with) Elfsong
5. Swords of Eveningstar (tied with) Blackstaff
...6 would be Elminster: The Making Of A Mage
and 7 would be Evermeet.
If I can include short story collections, then The Best of the Realms 2 (Ed's stories) would make number 4 on the list, bumping everything else down a notch.
These are really subjective favorites, of course.
I asked my uncle, a book editor and longtime fantasy fiction collector, to rate all the Realms books, and he said some are so badly written that he shudders, and he'd put Elaine Cunningham and Ed Greenwood as the only "serious consideration" writers on any list he compiled, with Grubb & Novak and Salvatore (just for Homeland) as the only others who might rank. He hasn't read Blackstaff yet, though, because I just gave it to him.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000