Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alaundo's severed head

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 17 Jul 2005 : 02:06:00
A while ago I asked Ed if he could tell us more about whats going on with Alaundo's skull (Its no longer attached to his corpses and Mind Flayers from Oryndoll are looking for it, see Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark) but unfortunately another one of those Baatezu spawned NDAs got in the way

Is there any word of Alaundo's skull in City of Splendors?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EltonRobb Posted - 09 Jan 2017 : 16:36:35
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Maybe they would resurrect Alaundo from his skull and then eat his brain to assimilate his knowledge and divinatory distinctiveness into their ilithid elder brain.

Thats IF Alaundo CAN be resurrected

Savras spent a great deal of time trapped in an artifact and if Azuth had trapped Savras in the artifact before Alaundo died then there wouldnt be anyone their to take Alaundo to the afterlife on Savras home plane. So its possable that Alaundo ended up being branded one of the false by Jergal or Mykrul and ended up in the Wall of the false

Could he be reincarnated instead?
Wrigley Posted - 09 Jan 2017 : 13:59:03
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmm... I think the only "gods can use" part might be a little restricting.

Also, how about adding that the knowledge would come in some kind of cryptic poem or riddle? After all, almost all of Alaundo's prophecies were like that.

Could you tell me source of any other Alaundo's prophecies? I haven't found any.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Jan 2017 : 17:31:16
quote:

quote:

Maybe they would resurrect Alaundo from his skull and then eat his brain to assimilate his knowledge and divinatory distinctiveness into their ilithid elder brain.

Savras spent a great deal of time trapped in an artifact and if Azuth had trapped Savras in the artifact before Alaundo died then there wouldnt be anyone their to take Alaundo to the afterlife on Savras home plane. So its possable that Alaundo ended up being branded one of the false by Jergal or Mykrul and ended up in the Wall of the false

Just my personal take on this, but while Azuth had Savras trapped, I picture this more as he was unable to act against other deities or grant special favors to his followers. I picture him still being able to grant spells to his priests, have his servants gather the souls of the dead, etc.... In fact, his work through Alaundo may have been a subtle attempt by him to work against Azuth's bindings IF we know that Alaundo was around while Savras was bound (of which, do we have dates?).
Lashan Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 14:30:57
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

Maybe they just want to lick the bowl

Lick the bowl?

Since they eat brains, and skulls hold brians...kinda like a bowl....and since they want the skull......
Shadovar Posted - 21 Jul 2005 : 12:23:40
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

Lick the bowl? Hmm, sounds like they want to test the power without wanting to owe the artifact or surrender something in exchange for that power.
Lashan Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 18:58:25
Dargoth Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 14:22:10
Most of the Major Artifacts have a down side the Eye and Hand of Vecna for example require the character using it to remove their own eye or hand.

I remember in FR1 Waterdeep and the North theres a Sunite artifact which could cast a Heal spells, it had the down side of 1% chance every time it was used that the artifact would teleport the wielder to the Sunes home plane (Which would pretty much remove a character from play)

Down sides for Major artifacts are quite common
Shadovar Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 13:26:58
quote:

quote:

So it appears that the power of divination granted by the artifact can only be wielded by the gods themselves, it seems that mortals that attempt to wield it must pay a heavy price for it. It seems Tymora's favor is needed when using the skull.

As it should its granting user a godlike power for a limited period of time

But with a very dear price.
Dargoth Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 13:21:08
quote:

So it appears that the power of divination granted by the artifact can only be wielded by the gods themselves, it seems that mortals that attempt to wield it must pay a heavy price for it. It seems Tymora's favor is needed when using the skull.

As it should its granting user a godlike power for a limited period of time
Shadovar Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 13:18:34
Dargoth Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 08:10:00
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Also, how about adding that the knowledge would come in some kind of cryptic poem or riddle? After all, almost all of Alaundo's prophecies were like that.

The artifact can be used by anyone the effect the artifact mimics is only found it deities
DDH_101 Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 05:25:36

Dargoth Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 03:16:50
Alaundos Skull
Major Artifact

The Skull was orginally part of the body of reknown Faerunian Seer Alaundo who was rumoured to be a Chosen of the god Savras (God of Divination). Alaundo prophecied many significant events that have occured in Faerun history, the most well known is the Roll of Year's. After Alaundos death his body was interned in a Crypt beneath the Libary of Candlekeep. At some point after Alaundos burial someone broke into the Crypt and stole Alaundos skull it has not been seen since. This major artifact sort by many groups including the Mindflayers of Ornydoll, the Scribes of Candlekeep and the Clergy of the newly ressurected church of Savras.

The Skull of Alaundo grants oinly one power but it is a power only wielded by the Gods

Once per month a person may cast a Speak with dead spell on Alaundos skull which gives them access to Portfolio Sense: Divination

Portfolio Sense: Divination

The caster gains knowledge of any events in the next month that will effect one thousand people or more. Being privy to this knowledge has a down side, anyone who attempts to use the skull must make a Will save DC 35. Those who fail their saves are struck down with "Savras Wrath" or "Knowledge fever" which reduces the victims Inteligence and Wisdom to 1, this can only be reversed with a properly worded wish spell.

What do you think Scribes?

The Sage Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 02:38:21
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, so this idea may be non-viable, because my Planescape lore is limited...

But what if the skull is somewhere on the planes? A powerful Sensate grabbed it, and has been using it to experience things before they happen -- or maybe even experiencing possible futures that won't happen.

I can certainly see that. The Society of Sensation would probably retain an active interested in the potential of using the skull for their "Sensation Halls" -- selling possible future experiences to any and all bloods from across the planes.

If there's one faction that would have a definite interest in the skull though, then it would be the Fraternity of Order. I don't think they would be able to easily dismiss the benefits the skull's powerful divinatory abilities would have for their work in learning about the dark of the multiverse.

They may have even hired PCs to travel to Toril and "acquire" it (by any means necessary) from whoever currently has possession of it -- another possible adventure hook involving both my two favorite settings, FR and PS .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 17:12:25
Okay, so this idea may be non-viable, because my Planescape lore is limited...

But what if the skull is somewhere on the planes? A powerful Sensate grabbed it, and has been using it to experience things before they happen -- or maybe even experiencing possible futures that won't happen.
Xysma Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 15:37:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tylas

It sounds like there might be a big fight and bloodshed for Alaundo's skull. But what can they do once they divine something from the artifact, change the course of the future? Surely not all courses of the future can be changed.

They could either try to change the future, or position themselves to take advantage of events no one else expects...

This could actually work as a great basis for a series of adventures centered around the acquisition of the artifact by evil-aligned beings with nefarious intent. Perhaps they are planning to exploit some future weakness in the defenses of a city somewhere in the North -- plundering and pillaging it when the time is right.

The PCs of course, have been hired by the scribes of Candlekeep to attempt to recover the artifact and bring it to them. But what they don't release is the Great Reader who has hired them for the task is actually a baatezu noble of minor power and position acting through others in an attempt to secure the skull for his own fiendish purpose.

Very interesting Sage, I was just thinking about a new campaign, and this may be just what I needed to get the ball rolling.
The Sage Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 13:42:23
quote:

quote:

It sounds like there might be a big fight and bloodshed for Alaundo's skull. But what can they do once they divine something from the artifact, change the course of the future? Surely not all courses of the future can be changed.

They could either try to change the future, or position themselves to take advantage of events no one else expects...

This could actually work as a great basis for a series of adventures centered around the acquisition of the artifact by evil-aligned beings with nefarious intent. Perhaps they are planning to exploit some future weakness in the defenses of a city somewhere in the North -- plundering and pillaging it when the time is right.

The PCs of course, have been hired by the scribes of Candlekeep to attempt to recover the artifact and bring it to them. But what they don't release is the Great Reader who has hired them for the task is actually a baatezu noble of minor power and position acting through others in an attempt to secure the skull for his own fiendish purpose.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 11:20:24
quote:

Tylas Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 06:45:42
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Curious...I wonder what will the mind flayers do with the skull if they found it?
The skull is devoid of flesh and brains but surely the mind flayers cannot use their psionic abilities to break into the skull secrets, am I wrong?

They could, perhaps, use it as some sort of psionic artifact. It could also serve as the focus for some sort of ritual, either psionic or magical, that would grant visions of the future... This is all speculation, of course.

Indeed.

And if it somehow came into their possession, clerics of Deneir, Oghma, and even Savras would certinaly have an interest in the secrets of lore they could divine from the artifact.

The Sage Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 05:10:12
quote:

quote:

Curious...I wonder what will the mind flayers do with the skull if they found it?
The skull is devoid of flesh and brains but surely the mind flayers cannot use their psionic abilities to break into the skull secrets, am I wrong?

They could, perhaps, use it as some sort of psionic artifact. It could also serve as the focus for some sort of ritual, either psionic or magical, that would grant visions of the future... This is all speculation, of course.

Indeed.

And if it somehow came into their possession, clerics of Deneir, Oghma, and even Savras would certinaly have an interest in the secrets of lore they could divine from the artifact.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 04:18:43
quote:

Dargoth Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 03:09:52
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Plus there is always the . . . "if he doesn't want to come back to life he doesn't have to" hiccup to such plans (a clause that I have had to invoke to many a vengeful PC when they thought a villain died to quickly).

You might want to give this a try the next time your players want to do that

When a person dies in the realms and they get to their gods home plane the god turns them into an outsider. Im personally of the view that the type of outsider would be determined by how powerful the indivduel in life

For example if Fzoul died Bane might turn him into a Pit Fiend if Bob a 1st low level bandit died his god might turn him into a Lemure (if LE) or Dretch (If CE) etc.

So next time characters try and raise a dead villian have the villian come back as the outsider.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 02:40:48
Plus there is always the . . . "if he doesn't want to come back to life he doesn't have to" hiccup to such plans (a clause that I have had to invoke to many a vengeful PC when they thought a villain died to quickly).
Dargoth Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 02:36:33
quote:

Tylas Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 01:48:42
quote:

Ressurect Alaundo? But Alaundo was said to be the Chosen of Savras, surely his soul is with Savras in Savras Realm unless the illithids has necromancers among them to do that.
Gray Richardson Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 01:46:08
Shadovar Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 23:49:18
Xysma Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 15:25:47
quote:
Originally posted by Osieu

IIRC, there's one article Relics of the Realms in Dragon#333. Is there anything about the skull in it?

Nope, those are religious artifacts from various Faerunian deities.
Tylas Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 13:54:38
quote:
Originally posted by Osieu

IIRC, there's one article Relics of the Realms in Dragon#333. Is there anything about the skull in it?

The power to divine into the future?
Osieu Posted - 18 Jul 2005 : 13:30:14

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000